Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   best replacement grip that is most like leather? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=365838)

morten 01-26-2011 03:15 PM

best replacement grip that is most like leather?

i just want to reduce weight a bit, i want a firm grip with lots of feel, not too thick. I was thinking Babolat skin feel? i will use an overgrip on top. I have used leather for 18 years now :)

mantennis 01-26-2011 07:06 PM

Yes, bab skin feel is very good and the feel is superb.

snoflewis 01-26-2011 07:14 PM

i really like the pro hybrid grips from wilson. nice firm feel but also good amount of tackiness

flashfire276 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

Babolat Skin Feel. It's gonna make your grip size smaller, but you get a really firm bevel feel. Plus it's a pure synthetic grip, so weight is going to drop down.

Haven't tried out Wilson Pro Hybrid, but heard lots of good reviews about it. Since it's made of both synthetic and leather, and blend is supposed to give the best of both worlds.

The_Question 01-26-2011 09:28 PM

Wilson Pro Hybrid is your choice here...it's basically leather in base and over grip cover it...

pelusi 01-26-2011 11:30 PM

What is the weight, width and thickness of Wilson Pro Hybrid????

bayoozen33 01-27-2011 08:20 AM

Gamma Hi Tech. Firm and inexpensive.

SirGounder 01-27-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayoozen33 (Post 5374755)
Gamma Hi Tech. Firm and inexpensive.

I love these just for that reason - a nice firm feel and cheap. I have a couple that I keep reusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Question (Post 5371873)
Wilson Pro Hybrid is your choice here...it's basically leather in base and over grip cover it...

I just picked up one of these and it is definitely a nice grip. A bit more forgiving than leather on the hands. It still gives you that firm feel, decent weight, and bevel definition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantennis (Post 5371121)
Yes, bab skin feel is very good and the feel is superb.

I like this one too. To me it feels like the Gamma Hi Tech but not quite as thick. It's good of you like using overgrips or wants to reduce the grip size by just a tiny bit.

mrrockstar 01-27-2011 11:34 AM

These 3 give firm bevel feel:

Gamma Hi-Tech grip 18g (trimmed)
Prince Resipro 16g (trimmed)
Babolat Skin Feel 14g (trimmed)

In terms of thickness:
Gamma Hi-Tech grip > Prince Resipro > Babolat Skin Feel

Both Gama and Prince can maintain same grip size, while Babolat reduce less than 1 grip size

Overgrip over Babolat Skin Feel can also give firm bevel feel, but will increase weight to 18g (overgrip = 4g to 5g)

morten 01-27-2011 02:02 PM

thanks mrrockstar and others

johndagolfer 03-13-2013 05:45 PM

Why did they stop making the Wilson Pro Hybrid regrip? I am looking to replace my leather grips(they made my hands so sore during long play) on my prestiges with a firmer synthetic grip and an wilson pro overgrip on top of that.

Do you guys suggest the skin feel with an overgrip? Or is there another suggestion?

Thanks!

redbirdone 03-13-2013 07:17 PM

third vote for Skin Feel. No overgrip for me. Then again, I'm not a big drippy sweat guy. I love being able to really feel the bevels.

Readers 03-14-2013 12:06 AM

Wilson Pro Hybrid

Relinquis 03-14-2013 12:23 AM

With Babolat Skin Feel you'll really feel the bevels and it is very thin for a replacement grip.

Samo 03-14-2013 02:04 AM

Head synthetic leather grip (IG Radical pro has this grip on). Fells like leather and it is lighter than synthetic. The weight of it, was written in one tread in this section of the forum.

Hankenstein 03-14-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samo (Post 7273284)
Head synthetic leather grip (IG Radical pro has this grip on). Fells like leather and it is lighter than synthetic. The weight of it, was written in one tread in this section of the forum.

Can confirm this! The Head Synt leather is extremely underrated grip!! Very strange there is not so much buzz about it. Almost same great feel as leather grip but a tad more comfortable and vibration dampening. Just perfect for me atleast

johndagolfer 03-18-2013 08:23 AM

If leather was a 10 on the hardness scale I was looking for something more like a 6 or 7. I want firm but with some give.

Does the Head syn leather match this how about the gamma or babolat?

Thanks!

TepidFish 03-18-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankenstein (Post 7273302)
Can confirm this! The Head Synt leather is extremely underrated grip!! Very strange there is not so much buzz about it. Almost same great feel as leather grip but a tad more comfortable and vibration dampening. Just perfect for me atleast

I would have to agree! I think the stock grips on Graphene Speed Pro's are the same as the ones on IG Rad Pro's. Not Hydrosorb Pro as listed... I bought a pack of Hydrosorb Pro and the grip feels closer to a Babolat Syntec, soft and squishy.

Anyway, the Head Synthetic Leather feels like a slightly softer and lighter version of a leather grip! There is some give but no where close to a standard synthetic grip. It's really a great grip! I did some google searches and found that the grips are for sale on Europe/Australia know of any places in the states where one could buy some? :D