Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Low to ground, (lighter), durable shoe? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=366649)

Consolation 01-31-2011 12:22 PM

Low to ground, (lighter), durable shoe?

Not sure if such a shoe exists. Had been a long time barricade user. The 6's toe box was a little too wide though. I have a medium width foot, but I guess it's a little narrower than normal in the forefoot. My forefoot would slide around too much which led to less stability and quickness.

Lately I've been using the Price Rebel. I really love this shoe. It fits great, I love the low to the ground feel and the lightness. But, the durability is terrible for me. I was getting ~2 months out of the barricades, the Rebels are only lasting 2-3 weeks. I bought 3 of the on-sale yellow ones, and 6 weeks later all 3 are shot. I know I can warranty them, but that takes 2-3 weeks and is not sustainable.

So, what I'm looking for is a shoe with a tight, glove like fit, especially in the forefoot, that's low to the ground and perhaps lighter, with decent durability.

In the past I've played with Gel Res 2's, but they had similar durability to the Rebels.

I've never tried any Babolat or Nike shoes, and the only Addidas shoe I've used are the barricades.

60mphserve@9 01-31-2011 12:40 PM

well i use the barricades and love them. i play in them all the time. but my friend uses nikes. im not qite sure what they are called but they are blue black and white and have RF of the back. he loves them and wears them allt the time. he finally wore them out like a month ago and got the same pair but in red. he had them for about 4-5 months

Gasolina 01-31-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consolation (Post 5389356)
The 6's toe box was a little too wide though. I have a medium width foot, but I guess it's a little narrower than normal in the forefoot.

It seems you'd be one of the very few people who could wear the Adizero Feather.

Nextman916 01-31-2011 09:40 PM

^ contrary to its specs the adizero feather is def not a low to the ground shoe. The bulk in the heal is comparable to any barricade, combined with the the high arch support and your hovering relatively high off the ground. Trouble is, the criteria you're looking for won't fit perfect in any shoe on the market right now.

If you can put up with both having a slightly roomier toebox, perhaps sizing down. I'd recommend the babolat propulse 2/3(just released) or the new asics GR3 which has added durability now. Both low to the ground, somewhat light, and better durability than a rebel/GR2 per say.

themitchmann 02-01-2011 05:02 AM

If you like the Rebels, just be organized with your wear:

You bought 3 pair, so wear 1 all the way through, then send that pair back. By the time the replacement comes, you'll be ready to send back pair #2. Rinse and repeat.

fuzz nation 02-01-2011 07:13 AM

I got hooked on the "low to the ground" aspect of tennis shoes when I happened upon a cheap pair of Diadora sneak's a couple of years back. They were more like soccer shoes than the tennis shoes I'd used up to that time and I loved them.

Asics has proven to be easier for me to track down and the Gel Game 2's I've used have given me that similar low slung layout. I'm not a toe dragger, but I've enjoyed very good durability with these, plus they're being offered at clearance prices through TW with a 6 month durability guarantee. Worth a look I think.

JT_2eighty 02-01-2011 12:41 PM

Sounds like you might benefit from Babolat's Michelin outsoles, they're more durable than adidas Barricade outsole, IME. The new V-Pro sounds like a low to the ground, lightweight yet durable option.

Consolation 02-04-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 5392070)
Sounds like you might benefit from Babolat's Michelin outsoles, they're more durable than adidas Barricade outsole, IME. The new V-Pro sounds like a low to the ground, lightweight yet durable option.

Thanks for the rec. Tried the Addizero, and as someone above said, it's not low to the ground at all. Fit ok, but very high.

Tried the GR3 and Propulse, but toe box was too wide, forefoot was sliding. The V-Pro is very nice though. Not quite as glove-like as the Rebel, but close, and I can already tell sole is considerably more durable.

JT_2eighty 02-05-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consolation (Post 5399738)
Thanks for the rec. Tried the Addizero, and as someone above said, it's not low to the ground at all. Fit ok, but very high.

Tried the GR3 and Propulse, but toe box was too wide, forefoot was sliding. The V-Pro is very nice though. Not quite as glove-like as the Rebel, but close, and I can already tell sole is considerably more durable.

Nice, so you have a pair of V-Pros? Curious to hear how they hold up. I used a pair of the Bab ATC4's, and while the upper durability was weak, the light-weight feel and very durable Michelin outsole was impressive. After my current stint with the Genius II's I'm using, I may go back to Babolat.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4 02-07-2011 03:20 AM

Low to the ground : Vap 7

Lightweight : Vap 7

But terrible durability.

So this was a pretty pointless post.

flashfire276 02-08-2011 10:52 PM

If you can find them, Vapor VI. Super stable, super comfortable, super supportive, and low to the ground feel!

SirGounder 02-11-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashfire276 (Post 5409073)
If you can find them, Vapor VI. Super stable, super comfortable, super supportive, and low to the ground feel!

For sure the Vapor 6's have a great feel. Low to the ground, durable, and supportive.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4 02-11-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGounder (Post 5415325)
For sure the Vapor 6's have a great feel. Low to the ground, durable, and supportive.

Not at all my friend.

It's a real shame.

Steve Huff 02-11-2011 10:20 PM

The ASICs gel is the lowest to the ground shoe I have. They feel like old track shoes. I haven't worn them to play in yet as I'm breaking them in a little first, but I hope they have some cushioning. The feel good though, and fit according to size for me.

JT_2eighty 03-23-2011 08:02 AM

Looking for more thoughts?

Asics Gel and Vapors still the lowest to the ground out there?

Anyone compare CC Genius to this? Or any Babolat shoe?

Xisbum 03-23-2011 08:09 AM

I've been an ASICS Res man, through the original and the 2, but I also tried the Game 2 and thought it gave a lower-to-the-ground feel than the Res. Just my personal experience, of course. :-)

Maroon_Tenniskid 03-23-2011 02:12 PM

Propulse 2's work great for me, but I got a size 11 and I normally wear a size 10.5. I cinched up the laces and the velcro and double socks, and wow, amazing! The double socks make the low arch support seem a bit higher and you won't be sliding around at all in them. Durability was strange for me though, I got a square shaped hole directly underneath the ball of my foot in about 3 months, when I normally wear shoes out in about 4.5 or 5 months.

Gasolina 03-23-2011 02:43 PM

The original CC Genius was low to the ground. Not sure about the Genius 2's

SlowButSure 03-23-2011 04:08 PM

BTW, I gave up and went back to the Rebel's. V-Pro's were nice initially, but a they stretched out got very sloppy in the forefoot for me. Fit better with double socks, but then lost the 'connected to the ground' feel.

Rebels are just the perfect shoe for me it seems, other than the durability. I did find that a majority of the wear was coming from my agility/ladder drills. I started doing the ones I could on grass and that seems to be helping a lot.

I heard the AddiPure Pro might work for me and I might try that in the future. For now I bought a bunch of the neon yellow Rebels for $49.

flashfire276 03-24-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooper_Tecnifibre4 (Post 5415336)
Not at all my friend.

It's a real shame.

If only the V6 was more durable, it would probably be the best tennis shoe ever in my opinion.
But other than durability, the Vapor VI is an amazing shoe. Federer is still using VIs in a Vapor 8 disguise.