Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Most improved team in college tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=367952)

tenniskillz 02-09-2011 10:01 PM

Most improved team in college tennis

Who do you think is the most improved team in college tennis 2011? Also who do you think is taking the biggest drop so far this year?

My vote goes to Notre Dame for most improved and Wisconsin or Wake Forest for worst start. ND just beat down Wisconsin in Madison 6-1, beat Oklahoma at ITA regionals, and was in position to win against Duke and Illinois recently. Wake just took a beat down from both Michigan and Michigan State (!!), given they haven't had a couple guys.

What do you guys think?

ClarkC 02-10-2011 06:13 AM

Wake Forest has been ravaged by the flu, and did not even field their normal lineup recently. We will see how they look later in the season.

In the ACC, Maryland looks much improved over previous years. Of course, they had nowhere to go but up.

Notre Dame was underrated at #36 to start the season. I still think they will not make the final 16 in May.

I think Ole Miss could be a sleeper team, if they get Kalle Norberg back to 100% and it changes their lineup.

Will Wilson 02-13-2011 07:36 PM

Golden Gophers on the rise

Minnesota has started off a quietly succesfull season, dominating all their opponents except UCLA. Their ranking should soon be in the 22 - 25 range. their latest win is over Wisconsin, which is never a bad thing in any sport.

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-21-2011 03:30 PM

MSU Mustangs (somewhere in the wilds of Texas, apparently) are a div II team with a couple of dark horses in their ranks.

Rory De Boer is a freshman, started playing at 6, is currently at 4 and has lost a total of 3 games in 3 matches so far.

(he's from my club, so allow a little bias, but he is going to shred most of these kids, he was top 200 in open competition in Australia when he was 16)

bluetrain4 02-21-2011 03:45 PM

Illinois seems to be much improved.

Clemson_tennis 02-23-2011 07:00 PM

South Carolina is very weak this year. They lost their Brazilian contigent and haven't replaced them with anything(Chip Cox will be good though).

rodrigoamaral 02-23-2011 08:13 PM

Has to be Duke..

10isDad 02-24-2011 03:43 AM

In D-II, Grand Canyon University has to be the most improved.

2008-2009: 2-17
2009-2010: 4-15
2010-2011: 5-3 so far

Their 3 losses were close losses to top 35 teams: 4-5 to Hawaii Pacific, UC San Diego and Western New Mexico. In looking ahead, there is a very good chance at a 12-8 season.

jhick 02-24-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Wilson (Post 5420070)
Minnesota has started off a quietly succesfull season, dominating all their opponents except UCLA. Their ranking should soon be in the 22 - 25 range. their latest win is over Wisconsin, which is never a bad thing in any sport.

It'll be interesting to see how they do in Big Ten competition. I think they'll have a chance against Michigan. Probably overmatched against Illinois and Ohio State.

Clemson_tennis 02-24-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhick (Post 5444796)
It'll be interesting to see how they do in Big Ten competition. I think they'll have a chance against Michigan. Probably overmatched against Illinois and Ohio State.

There is a large gap between the top 2 and the rest in the Big Ten. Michigan and Minnesota our on the 2nd tier with Wisconsin and Indiana. The rest are poor

gcfalcon09 02-24-2011 07:43 PM

UMD is definitely a team that has improved over the last two years with new coach Kyle Spencer and assistant coach Evan Clark. They went from being an unranked team to a team in the top 100 and now on the cusp of breaking into the top 50. They beat Cornell 5-2 and lost close matches to VTech and a tough one to UVA, but that is because UVA has who they have. Maryland will only go up this year, and the guys are working hard and makin noise in the ACC. Let the results do the talking, but don't leave UMD out of this picture.

IlliniSky 02-24-2011 10:27 PM

Illinois seems to be better than what I thought they would be at the beginning of the year. They got a boost from their first few matches being at home indoors. Nevolo has put up some good results, Singh might be what I've heard he could be, and the team got a huge boost with Kalmanovich coming back. I felt that the team was slipping further down at the end of last year but the team seems to be clicking pretty good now. They're not a championship team or even a Final Four team, but they have a good chance to give OSU a run for its money and make the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight even.

ucfan10s 02-25-2011 09:04 AM

UC Davis Women Tennis Team

I think UC Davis Women is the most improved team. For the past two years, they lost most of their matches and they had 2 wins and 7 loses in their conference. This year, the Aggies women won 8 matches and lost 2 (to 2 pac10 schools). They are 3-0 in their conference and they just won over last year's Big West Conference Champion (UCI) with a convincing 5-2 win. Their 3 freshmen made a major difference in their 7 match winning streak.

Will Wilson 02-25-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhick (Post 5444796)

Agreed. With their depth, they could / should finish 3rd in the Big Ten which would be a good result. They are something like 18-1 in the 4-6 singles spot.

The program is steadily building towards returning to the top of the big Ten. They really are only a true #1 singles player away from being in the Sweet 16.

Will Wilson 03-02-2011 05:32 PM

Gophers now 16th

With their unbeaten streak up to 6 matches, Minnesota jumped to 16th in the latest rankings. They really are quite improved over last year - it will be interesting to see how they do this weekend against Washington.

JMS 03-04-2011 05:11 PM

Clemson_tennis 03-05-2011 06:55 PM

Minnesota got spanked 7-0 by Washington

ClarkC 03-06-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkC (Post 5411803)
In the ACC, Maryland looks much improved over previous years. Of course, they had nowhere to go but up.

I am reconsidering this one. Maryland does not look too good as the season goes on.

Will Wilson 03-06-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 5466674)
Minnesota got spanked 7-0 by Washington

Spanked is right. Minnesota sat its regular #4 player which forced everyone else to play up a slot and had a new freshman playing #6. This is a bigger deal for the Gophers because 3-6 is where they win their matches. Don't know why they went this way with the lineup but I don't think it really mattered; Washington was clearly better. Their ranking should now drop to around 23-25, which is where they should be.

Will Wilson 03-18-2011 05:08 PM

Gophers Top Miami

23rd ranked Minnesota bounced back to beat #25 Miami in Miami, while sitting one of their regulars.

The Golden Gophers continue their strong season and, with some improvement, could make the Sweet 16.

The program is on the rise with a great recruiting class next year, great facilities and, most importantly, a great coach.