Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Illinois Fighting Illini (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=368577)

IlliniSky 02-14-2011 12:37 PM

Illinois Fighting Illini

After beating Duke, Kentucky and Florida, it's going to be very interesting what this team will do at the Indoors. If Sousa, Singh, and Kalmanovich can continue to improve, this could be an Elite Eight team.

robow7 02-14-2011 12:48 PM

I would love to see them do well but playing indoors at home on those particular courts often is worth a game or two a set and that won't be in their favor when they play on a neutral court.

IlliniSky 02-14-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robow7 (Post 5421660)
I would love to see them do well but playing indoors at home on those particular courts often is worth a game or two a set and that won't be in their favor when they play on a neutral court.

That's true. I don't think they can continue this kind of result away from home. But once Singh gets going, which I still have my doubts about, this team could be tough to beat.

saigonbond 02-14-2011 02:05 PM

Nevolo building a nice resume of victims since November:
#1 Williams, #3 Domijan, #4 Lacroix, #20 Escobar, #21 Smith, #25 Bonin

Go ILLINI!

saigonbond 02-14-2011 02:13 PM

On a side note, nice to see big KA win his 1st title at the Jo-burg SA Open. Big KA on the rise!

Go ILLINI!

robow7 02-15-2011 05:29 AM

And today ranked at #9, up from #16

bezerker 02-15-2011 07:24 AM

What is the deal with Singh? He sounds like he's got a ton of talent...was in injury? I thought that he would become eligible for this semester, but he didn't play vs Kentucky. And then against Florida, he looked horrible. I was at that match, and he seemed disinterested. Must have been injury, but I couldn't pick up anything noticeable. But they won because he went out and played. If everyone had bumped down a court, I doubt they would have won that match.

IlliniSky 02-16-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bezerker (Post 5423411)
What is the deal with Singh? He sounds like he's got a ton of talent...was in injury? I thought that he would become eligible for this semester, but he didn't play vs Kentucky. And then against Florida, he looked horrible. I was at that match, and he seemed disinterested. Must have been injury, but I couldn't pick up anything noticeable. But they won because he went out and played. If everyone had bumped down a court, I doubt they would have won that match.

I can't figure out Singh either. I guess we'll see as the season progresses. I wonder if he is going to play at the Indoors. Lots of questions to be answerd about him.

IlliniSky 02-23-2011 05:20 AM

Illinois Up to No. 7

Well, The ITA Indoors turned out pretty good. We beat Texas A&M, took a match from Virginia after getting swept a few weeks ago, and then almost beat Texas. Not a bad tournament.

The Illini really seem much improved over last year. Looking forward to the Big Ten season.

bluetrain4 02-23-2011 08:47 AM

Illini are solid Top 10, and I appreciate that they've played a brutal schedule.

I see at least a Rnd of 16 apperance at the NCAAs, QFs are very possible, and maybe (a huge MAYBE), a SF apperance if everything is clicking, everyone is healthy and they aren't seeded to meet No. 1 or No. 2 in the QFs. Maybe I'm dreaming. QFs seem like the most reasonable best result.

mikej 02-23-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 5442860)
I see at least a Rnd of 16 apperance at the NCAAs, QFs are very possible, and maybe (a huge MAYBE), a SF apperance if everything is clicking, everyone is healthy and they aren't seeded to meet No. 1 or No. 2 in the QFs. Maybe I'm dreaming. QFs seem like the most reasonable best result.

SF doesn't seem unreasonable for Illinois...I think a number of teams including USC, UCLA, Ohio St, Duke, Illinois, Georgia have a shot at the semis if they can avoid Tenn. and UVA until then...all about the seedings

IlliniSky 02-23-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 5442908)
SF doesn't seem unreasonable for Illinois...I think a number of teams including USC, UCLA, Ohio St, Duke, Illinois, Georgia have a shot at the semis if they can avoid Tenn. and UVA until then...all about the seedings

Illinois is an Elite Eight team at best this year. Still, thinking back to the beginning of the 09-10 season, when we didn't even know who was going to be on the team, they have really got it back together.

And this year is really between Virginia and Tennessee. I'm sure everybody will be praying the day before they annouce the NCAA draw so they won't end up in either bracket.

After taking a nice long drink of Illini orange koolaid, I'll say Illinois will make it to their fourth Final Four and Nevolo will win Illinois' second NCAA singles title.

I'll come back to my senses later.

IlliniSky 03-06-2011 12:14 PM

Vs. Iowa

Illinois is in danger of losing to Iowa today.

Nevolo has not played since the ITA Indoors. Neither has Singh. Anyone know what's up with that? Are they sick or injured?

IlliniSky 03-06-2011 12:57 PM

Illinois barely pulls it out. Souza wins 6-4 in the third set of the deciding match for a 4-3 Illini victory.

My pet peeve with Illinois tennis. In basketball or football, we get the news waaaaaaaaay before the game that such and such won't be playing for whatever reason. In tennis, we don't get a single word about why the number 9 player in the country Nevolo and our #2 singes guy Sing are not playing in the doubles or singles. The tennis people at Illinois really need to get on the ball.

bezerker 03-06-2011 06:04 PM

None of the three teams they played have had good results this far this season, but it almost cost them today. I would think that Nevolo and Singh are being held out but will be back for their bigger matches. No clue on Nevolo's issue, but I know SIngh has been battling a wrist injury for a while. Big Ten is actually pretty strong this year, so they'll need them soon. it's not just the Illinois-Ohio State show like recent years.

Clemson_tennis 03-06-2011 06:18 PM

I think it just those teams though. Michigan and Minnesota are good teams but they do not have enought to beat one of the big 2. Michigan isn't deep enough(they just slid by Hawaii) and Minnesota does not have the top strength.

after that noone else is really that good at all. Indiana is a very distant 5th

IlliniSky 03-06-2011 06:47 PM

It irks me that the official site will give the match results but not a single word about why Nevolo and Singh are held out. I mean, come on...

bezerker 03-07-2011 08:55 AM

You're right that none of them should beat Illinois or Ohio State. I just meant that if they think they can stroll out without their best lineup and win, they might be mistaken. Iowa is a bottom tier team in the conference and they were tied 3-3 and in a third set to decide the match. So if they take the other teams lightly, then they could have trouble on the road

bezerker 03-08-2011 04:01 PM

Well my theory was wrong. They're playing a more formidable opponent tonight and again Nevolo is not playing. They're down 3-1 and things don't look good.

jaggy 03-11-2011 05:35 AM

Ive been thinking about a road trip up to the Big 10 champs in Madison, an OSU-Illinois matchup would be a great final.