Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   It felt like a tennis ball hit me in the calf! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=369340)

Jenks10 02-20-2011 07:29 AM

It felt like a tennis ball hit me in the calf!

I was pushing off at the baseline for an easy shot & I stopped immediately & said "Did I just get hit with a tennis ball?" I was in such shock when my friend said "No". Our coach helped me off the court & immediately started ice.

As I sat there in shock, I knew this was more than just a simple calf strain. I reviewed the last 45 minutes - knowing I was completely warmed up (had just played a set of singles in 75* weather) How did this happen?!

I am 41 years old & very active. I grew up playing soccer & only started tennis a year & 1/2 ago. I fell in love with this sport and have been hooked ever since. Ironically, I am the person that encourages others to stretch before tennis and actually incorporated a yoga DVD into my regiment a few weeks ago.

After seeing an orthopedic doc the next day, he diagnosed me with a calf tear/strain. I cannot walk or put weight of any kind on my leg & am in a boot and on crutches. The strange thing is he pushed on my calf forcefully in many areas & to my surprise - No Pain! But, pressure from trying to walk is a different story.

If you have had an injury similar to this, I am interested to hear about your recovery. I have been faithful with Rest, Ice & elevation and am taking an anti-inflammatory. Doc also prescribed physical therapy 3 days a week for 4 weeks.

One lesson that I've already learned is one of compassion. This injury has touched my soul in the fact that I will reach out to those I know that become disabled with more than an "I'm so sorry". Although this injury can't begin to compare with the devastation of a permanent disability; the love, meals & visits from friends are what make this more tolerable.

dlk 02-20-2011 07:46 AM

Welcome to the crowd, had the same injury early last year. I was only out of commision for 3-4 weeks, so I guess mine was mild. Didn't see a physician though, just let it rest. I was 41 when I had my injury:shock:

Jenks10 02-20-2011 07:56 AM

Were you able to walk on it shortly after your injury? When you returned, were you able to really go for your shots? Or did it take a while.. Have you had any trouble since?

dlk 02-20-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenks10 (Post 5435217)
Were you able to walk on it shortly after your injury? When you returned, were you able to really go for your shots? Or did it take a while.. Have you had any trouble since?

I could barely gingerly walk on it first couple of days. Once I came back, I was 100%. I was cautious with it first few matches back, but soon forgot about it & was sprint/jumping like it never happened. I must say, I was already in good shape for my age.

Jenks10 02-20-2011 09:13 AM

That is encouraging! Are you a singles player? My concern is will I be able to be as aggressive as I have been in singles. I run for every ball - hard angles, lunging (In good physical shape) Also, did you start stretching a few days after injury?

dominikk1985 02-20-2011 09:18 AM

no stetching. give it as much rest as possible until the doctor allows to do sports again.

think about it: why would you want to stretch a torn muscle? very bad idea.

r2473 02-20-2011 09:41 AM

I played with a friend of my wife's a few years ago in the park. After warming up, we started to play a match. In the first or second game, I hit an unintentional drop shot. She sprinted after it and immediately went down. Her calf immediately swelled up to something like twice normal size.

She went to the doc and was diagnosed with a muscle tear. She was doing rehab for months in seemed like.

Weirdest thing I had ever seen.

Jenks10 02-20-2011 10:15 AM

It is a bit of a mystery. I had already played for 45 minutes - warmed up & felt 110% physically! Can anyone elaborate on the recovery plan they did? Thanks so much.

r2473 02-20-2011 03:02 PM

I'll ask her this week.

Didn't your doc refer you to a physical therapist or someone similar? I wouldn't take *my* advice on some internet site. Get this done right.

Jenks10 02-20-2011 03:36 PM

Well said! Just curious how the rehabilitation was for others.

tennytive 02-21-2011 05:58 AM

2 summers ago I had strains in one calf or the other and was limping between points. I only played once a week on Sundays. Sunday afternoon I walked very gingerly but by Wednesday I was okay again. I tried calf stretches, but next Sunday, same thing. This went on for a month or so until the weather cooled in the fall and then I had no issues.

Last summer I took a Thermotab before leaving for the courts and made sure I sipped a sports drink diluted half and half with water on changeovers. No calf issues even in the hottest weather playing 3 times a week for over 2 hours. I got the T-tabs over the counter at a local discount pharmacy.

I also did leg lifts for my knees and calves 2 to 3 times a week in between playing days.

Not saying it'll work for you, but that's my experience.

Itagaki 02-21-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenks10 (Post 5436576)
Well said! Just curious how the rehabilitation was for others.

Although not specifically for tears, you might consider doing the Starr Rehab once the pain starts to "blur"

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...r_Muscle_Pulls

using calf raises. Like it says though, be sure you can distinguish the kind of hurt you feel doing it, but it will help with preventing scar tissue from forming, which WILL happen if you are completely sedentary as the tear heals (making it more easily injured in the future)

equinox 02-21-2011 06:16 AM

happened to hitting partner.

calf tear, booted 6+ weeks.

6 months no tennis, running.

2-3 years before his movement and importantly his confidence was back to similar level.

nasty injury. rehab was a long time.

BMC9670 02-21-2011 07:34 AM

I experienced the same thing, but to a lesser degree. Mine was really painful for a few days and then got better with R.I.C.E. I got a stretching/strengthening routine from my doctor and it helped get it back to normal. It did take a while, though. As I remember, I was a good 6 months before it felt 100%.

This is what my doctor said I had: http://www.sportsmedicineofatlanta.c...ts_injury.html

spacediver 02-21-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenks10 (Post 5435171)
Ironically, I am the person that encourages others to stretch before tennis and actually incorporated a yoga DVD into my regiment a few weeks ago.

It doesn't sound like your injury was a result of not being warmed up, but you shouldn't be stretching before tennis. Save the stretching for after the game, or in its own schedule. You want dynamic warmups.

Here are some good ones:

http://www.sportskool.com/videos/tennis-prep (they even have one for the calves).

Anyway, sorry to hear about the injury - I hate being injured, and have been injured almost every summer for the last 3-4 years (not tennis related). This last summer was the first where I didn't get injured, and that's because I've learned how to move properly and warm up.

Sounds like your tear is a pretty severe one. Hard to say how fast you'll recover - each muscle tear is different from the next. Best listen to your physiotherapist, but given it's a muscle, you'll probably be back in action before the summer :)

Jenks10 02-21-2011 11:16 AM

Physical Therapy Today - Yea!

Went to the physical therapist today. She was examining my calf as I was standing & says "I can see exactly where your calf is torn" Wow - I didn't expect to hear that!

After her assessment, she taught me a series of slow stretches to perform 3x daily & recommend icing the calf after each session. I will still see her 3 days a week and will move to water therapy soon.

A recommendation she had was compression support socks. The ones I purchased can be found online at www.cw-x.com. They fit all the way to my knee and are for support and recovery.

Hey, if I get to look like Bethanie Mattek-Sands & it is going to get me on the courts quicker, I'm In!!

Thanks for all the great websites for me to look at concerning this injury.

pennc94 02-21-2011 11:23 AM

I had this injury as well, although mine was not as severe. I did not experience any bruising, but the pain was sharp.

Therapy and active stretching helped, but most of all, playing with compression sleeves made a difference. I used the Zensah calf sleeves. I wore them for a bit even after the pain went away for precaution.

jbravo 02-21-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominikk1985 (Post 5435352)
no stetching. give it as much rest as possible until the doctor allows to do sports again.

think about it: why would you want to stretch a torn muscle? very bad idea.

If you go to Physical Therapy for a torn calf they will ALWAYS have you stretch followed by ice massage and sometimes electro shock. Resting alone does not help. I've done this both ways. The rested calf took much longer to heal and continues to be sensitive. The calf that I stretched healed much faster and never gives me any problems. Stretching improves flexibiilty which puts less stress on the wounded tissue. I strongly encourage physical therapy so that you get professonal advice.

tennis_tater 02-21-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbravo (Post 5438816)
If you go to Physical Therapy for a torn calf they will ALWAYS have you stretch followed by ice massage and sometimes electro shock. Resting alone does not help. I've done this both ways. The rested calf took much longer to heal and continues to be sensitive. The calf that I stretched healed much faster and never gives me any problems. Stretching improves flexibiilty which puts less stress on the wounded tissue. I strongly encourage physical therapy so that you get professonal advice.

I'm actually in PT right now for a torn calf after popping it for the 2nd time after coming back too early after the first tear. The first week following the strain, I did RICE only. Week 2, I started physical therapy and the first week consisted solely of stretching and ASTYM therapy/treatment to break up the scar tissue and help with the healing process. Starting in week 2, the PT recommended that I do away with the ice and, if anything, use heat and compression sock to get circulation going through the leg to accelerate the healing process. I just finished week 3, which consisted of the same as before + leg strengthening exercises (calf extensions, stair master, running on the eliptical). While the PT was doing the ASTYM treatment today, I could tell a remarkable difference as he was running the tools over my calf. Once week ago, there was a huge knot in my calf. Today, it was barely noticeable. While I am doing much better after week 3, I know my body just isn't ready to play competitive matches at this point. I figure another 2-3 weeks of home exercises/leg strengthening and hopefully I will be back on the court soon.

spacediver 02-21-2011 09:32 PM

My general impression is that stretching is an important part of the healing process, but not during the acute injury phase.