Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   tricep pain (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=369483)

Sreeram 02-21-2011 08:56 AM

tricep pain
 
Guys am facing a tricep pain when i serve. The pain is accute when i go for flat serve and less for slice serve. The problem started when I strectched my hand to hit a flat serve on a wayward toss. This has brought down my playing level. I have been suffering with it for past 2 weeks. I play a match then rest for 2 days and my hand feels pretty well. Then i practice few shadow swings, go hit with my partner. I dont get any pain in hitting sessions and then finally he calls me for a match, I agree half minded, the pain returns after my first serve attempt. So what should I do now, stop plaining for a week or 2 weeks? In this time can i keep placticing ralleis? Since I dont get any pain during ralleis do you guys think it will delay the recovery?
I am guy who plays every alternate day but now due to this injury I am forced to take a break. How do you guys take break from your game? Any Serious method you guys used to take your mind off tennis?

tennisenthusiast 02-21-2011 10:02 AM

You should give your body plenty of time to recover and also to prevent re-injury. Go see a doctor.

Sreeram 02-21-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisenthusiast (Post 5438370)
You should give your body plenty of time to recover and also to prevent re-injury. Go see a doctor.

I dont find a need to see doctor. I dont feel any pain in other actions including ground storkes. I guess the lack of enough rest is the culprit. I try to serve after every 3 days, because I can test the recovery only after I serve. So I want to know whether I should rest from ground strokes that do not cause me any discomfort?

mikeler 02-21-2011 10:39 AM

Is it the area where your triceps connect to your elbow or is it your actual tricep muscle? If it just hurts on the serve, take this as an opportunity to work on your ground game for a few weeks. I'm not really into rallying with people, but it beats the alternative of not being on court at all for a few weeks.

Sreeram 02-21-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 5438453)
Is it the area where your triceps connect to your elbow or is it your actual tricep muscle? If it just hurts on the serve, take this as an opportunity to work on your ground game for a few weeks. I'm not really into rallying with people, but it beats the alternative of not being on court at all for a few weeks.

Yes that is the problem. I cannot keep the hitting session just for ground strokes. I am so much tempted to start serving and playing a game.
The pain is in whole of tricep muscle. I tried using a support but no help.

mikeler 02-21-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sreeram (Post 5438463)
Yes that is the problem. I cannot keep the hitting session just for ground strokes. I am so much tempted to start serving and playing a game.
The pain is in whole of tricep muscle. I tried using a support but no help.


I feel your pain. My tennis time is limited so I only play matches. Just hitting balls back and forth gets boring to me.

charliefedererer 02-21-2011 08:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear your that your triceps hurts and needs rest.

Maybe this is a time also to consider doing some core, leg and conditioning work, so when the arm is good to go, another problem won't crop up.

starbucks 02-21-2011 08:48 PM

I'd rest it for a few days, you might have strained it. Try warming it up with massage using icy-hot or a similar massage cream, stretch, and then ice it. Google "towel tricep stretch"

BobFL 02-21-2011 09:09 PM

OP, that happens when you: a) muscle the ball/serve; 2) are not fluid and c) both a and b
I know this from personal experience. I was practicing a lot and now I am ok...

SystemicAnomaly 02-21-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 5439605)
OP, that happens when you: a) muscle the ball/serve; 2) are not fluid and c) both a and b
I know this from personal experience. I was practicing a lot and now I am ok...

These sound like real possibilities. Make sure that your grip is not too tight and that your shoulder & arm has a fairly loose, relaxed feeling when serving. I would suspect either a problem with serve mechanics, grip or perhaps a muscle imbalance -- between the triceps and the biceps.

Sreeram 02-22-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobFL (Post 5439605)
OP, that happens when you: a) muscle the ball/serve; 2) are not fluid and c) both a and b
I know this from personal experience. I was practicing a lot and now I am ok...

Yes I completely accept, It happened when I played against an opponent who was praising the pace in my serve. Hence I stretched hard to muscle the ball. Now I am not in a position to apply any muscle to my serve. My slice serve is more fluid and it does not hurt because the pace comes from the smooth action rather than arm power.

BobFL 02-22-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 5439636)
These sound like real possibilities. Make sure that your grip is not too tight and that your shoulder & arm has a fairly loose, relaxed feeling when serving. I would suspect either a problem with serve mechanics, grip or perhaps a muscle imbalance -- between the triceps and the biceps.

They were realities for me ;) I totally agree with everything you said. Fortunately, I fixed my serve motion and have dealt with my brain-cramps and I don't experience 3c/2b pain anymore...

BobFL 02-22-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sreeram (Post 5440126)
Yes I completely accept, It happened when I played against an opponent who was praising the pace in my serve. Hence I stretched hard to muscle the ball. Now I am not in a position to apply any muscle to my serve. My slice serve is more fluid and it does not hurt because the pace comes from the smooth action rather than arm power.

Posts don't get smarter that this one :) Everything you said is true and you are on the right track my friend :)

floridatennisdude 02-07-2013 04:32 AM

Bumping thread

I have a tricep strain, probably on the mild end. Play makes it flare up so I've taken time off. Pain location is under the arm, armpit, lat. I'm just under 40 and fairly fit...cardio 4-5 days a week and weights 2-3 days.

I searched around to try to find recommendations on time off, but don't get a clear answer. I've not swung a racquet in a week and a half.

What is the range of resting time on a mild tricep strain?

floridatennisdude 02-13-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridatennisdude (Post 7197411)
Bumping thread

I have a tricep strain, probably on the mild end. Play makes it flare up so I've taken time off. Pain location is under the arm, armpit, lat. I'm just under 40 and fairly fit...cardio 4-5 days a week and weights 2-3 days.

I searched around to try to find recommendations on time off, but don't get a clear answer. I've not swung a racquet in a week and a half.

What is the range of resting time on a mild tricep strain?

Answer: 10-14 days

I felt fine after 10, played after 13 with no pain. Working my way back on court slowly.

Excellent advice above from Charlie and BobFL. I spent my down time bumping up my cardio and core work. Then when playing, I really focused on a smooth, fluid serve motion.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse