Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Advice on picking a school. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=369522)

TennisCanada1 02-21-2011 03:10 PM

Advice on picking a school.

Hi. I am looking to pick a university in the states, but I need help. I am from Canada. My college video is in one of my threads.

Here is what my personal experience/needs are:
- I don't care about the level of tennis. I do not care if I am the best on a team or the worst on a team. I love the game of tennis so I will be happy regardless.
- I would like to get a scholarship so I can afford the school.
- I don't have a great sat score but I have really great marks. The MOST important thing to me is that the school has a really good reputation academically.

Fedace or anyone, I appreciate the input. Thanks.

tennisjon 02-21-2011 06:33 PM

Most schools offer scholarships based on need and/or academics. Division 1 and 2 offer athletic aid as well. I coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ. We offer a lot of the first two types of aid, but since we are D3, there is no athletic aid. We are a strong academic school and SAT's are optional (you can submit a graded paper instead).

As for other schools, if its about money, then its about the overall package you are offered. For example, a school can cost $50,000, but if you get $25,000 in academic/need aid that is less expensive than going to a $40,000 D1 school, getting a $10,000 athletic scholarship with no academic aid. However, some schools will not give aid to non-Americans.
Do some research on schools that fit your academic profile and ask the coach about if they offer aid to Canadians.

TennisCanada1 02-22-2011 07:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I also forgot to add that I am looking to go into business. In addition, my marks are exceptional, so I am looking for a school of that sort. Since I am from Canada, I just have no education regarding American schools, and need a bit of guidance.

NLBwell 02-22-2011 09:14 AM

1) Look for a school that is strong in the area that you think you will major in (business). There are several places that rate schools (U.S. News, Business Week, books on colleges, etc.) find these magazines or books.
2) Look for a school that you will be happy at and has an overall good academic reputation. There are different resources from the books mentioned above to websites about which schools are party schools (A party school can sound fun, but do you want to hang with kids who act like idiots? On the other hand, if you are playing tennis do you want a school that is a hardcore academic grind?). A lot of people change their majors during school. You don't know what life will bring you.
3) Look for a tennis program you will be happy in. Does the coach have a good reputation? Do you have a good feeling about him? Do you like the facilities? What do you know about the players on the team (international or not)? Can you find anyone to talk to with firsthand knowledge?

Just some thoughts. it is a big decision, but you seem smart and focused, so you'll be fine no matter what.

TennisCanada1 02-22-2011 11:57 AM

I appreciate that post, thanks.
Number 3 I do not care about, as long as I am playing on the team.
As far as the first two are concerned, my problem is that most of the deadlines for application have passed. I am late in this process but very determined. I really wish to acquire a tennis scholarship for september '11, but I am not sure what action to take. I have emailed many schools already.

tennisjon 02-23-2011 03:24 PM

Contact jbrandes@drew.edu He will let you know about the application process. We usually continue admissions even at this point for September 2011. We have good internships available. For example, a semester on Wall Street or at the U.N.

TennisCanada1 02-24-2011 08:25 AM

Thank you, the only problem is that I am looking for a school that is known for business rather than liberal arts. I am in the situation where I have great marks, and I don't want to compromise my education, but I do not want to give up tennis because it is something that I love.

tennisjon 02-24-2011 10:28 AM

I would look at Babson, NYU, Stone Hill, Bentley.

TennisCanada1 02-24-2011 02:59 PM

I emailed them, thanks.
What about byu?

starbucks 02-24-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCanada1 (Post 5446226)
I emailed them, thanks.
What about byu?

I have a friend that goes to BYU and he really likes it. I'm pretty sure its a Mormon school, so its pretty religious. Its an alcohol-free campus and they don't have any athletics on Sundays. It's also in Utah, so they play indoor tennis in the winter.

TennisCanada1 02-24-2011 10:18 PM

Any other suggestions?
I looked up byu and its a liberal arts school too. I need the business.

Jfolks259 02-24-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCanada1 (Post 5447056)
Any other suggestions?
I looked up byu and its a liberal arts school too. I need the business.

i am currently attending northern illinois university. we have a great business program (especially if you're going into accounting or sales, we were just ranked 8th for accy and in the top 5% for sales in the country) and have a division I tennis team.

heres a link for ya... http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-t...nnis-body.html

TennisCanada1 02-25-2011 06:53 AM

I actually want to go into accounting. I am impressed, I have sent an email to the coach.

Jfolks259 02-25-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCanada1 (Post 5447566)
I actually want to go into accounting. I am impressed, I have sent an email to the coach.

If you want to go into accounting, this could definitely be the school for you. In 2002, one of our alumni donated some $50 million to build a new building for the College of Business, it's amazing. We have the 9th best passing rate on the CPA exam in the country (you WILL need this if you want to work in the US) and we're always ranked as one of the best accounting programs in the country. Even in this economy i received three offers from large accounting firms. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email! good luck deciding

TennisCanada1 02-25-2011 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info! Are you on the tennis team? What are the practices like? How often? I hope the coach replies.

J_aces 02-25-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisjon (Post 5439278)
Most schools offer scholarships based on need and/or academics. Division 1 and 2 offer athletic aid as well. I coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ. We offer a lot of the first two types of aid, but since we are D3, there is no athletic aid. We are a strong academic school and SAT's are optional (you can submit a graded paper instead).

If you coach at Drew then do you have a player named Pransky by any chance

Jfolks259 02-25-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCanada1 (Post 5447877)
Thanks for the info! Are you on the tennis team? What are the practices like? How often? I hope the coach replies.

no i'm not on the team. i went there for the accounting program and i play tennis for fun (i.e. i'm not near DI material haha).