Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   starting a clothing line (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=369682)

tumalow2 02-22-2011 05:11 PM

starting a clothing line

hey everyone I am in the very early stages of creating a mens tennis clothing company. right now we are getting some prototypes screen printed here in the u.s. basically our goal is to uphold the quality of modern tennis clothes but bring back the affordability many of us used to enjoy. The reason I am posting on here is because I always read this forum and trust all of your opinions and I want to know what you would like to see happen in the world of tennis apparel. For example more flash? or less flash? less expensive? do you like where adidas/nike and the other major companies are headed with their designs and fabrics? anyways thanks for reading this and any feedback/ideas you have

FEDERERNADAL13 02-22-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumalow2 (Post 5441553)
hey everyone I am in the very early stages of creating a mens tennis clothing company. right now we are getting some prototypes screen printed here in the u.s. basically our goal is to uphold the quality of modern tennis clothes but bring back the affordability many of us used to enjoy. The reason I am posting on here is because I always read this forum and trust all of your opinions and I want to know what you would like to see happen in the world of tennis apparel. For example more flash? or less flash? less expensive? do you like where adidas/nike and the other major companies are headed with their designs and fabrics? anyways thanks for reading this and any feedback/ideas you have

I love the Roger Federer Nike range, so I like the classical look. Maybe some polos?? Lower prices would be nice. Let me know if you need a tester for the products, okay? Good luck with your company!

serve stopper 02-22-2011 06:34 PM

I think that it is a great idea for you to start a business. I think you should do something with all of the team apparel. I look through a lot of them and they all lack design. Also don't do all the regular colors like blue and red. I would do like orange and green and colors that you don't see often.Low price is great :) Good luck

roddickrafa17 02-22-2011 06:45 PM

thats great that you are making a new clothing line. you could really listen to the voices of tennis players and figure out what the people want. my opinion is dont go to extreme with colors or designs. too extreme=people not wearing it. keep it classic but you still need to have that flash to make people want to have it. look at some of nikes older clothing. now there are some simple, classic clothing but with some flare. be creative and good luck!

Djlpenguin 02-22-2011 06:46 PM

do some shirts plain, another line flashy. If you can only do one, try plain. Easier to make, I would think. If you need a tester, I'm here :) . Best of luck with your company!

Larrysümmers 02-22-2011 06:54 PM

I like the old school look of Sampras, but i also like the Fila Borg stuff.

Bartelby 02-22-2011 06:56 PM

Polos with zips instead of plakets and buttons are an underdone item.

Djlpenguin 02-22-2011 07:08 PM

oh yeah, polos with zips! Thats a good one. Don't make it too flashy, maybe just one corner of the front and half the back in design

zasr4325 02-22-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumalow2 (Post 5441553)

I really like the stuff Nike is coming out with at the moment, and the Federer line in particular. It seems to be more design-oriented than their biggest competitor, Adidas, and they always use good colour combinations. One of the things I think is important in modern tennis clothing (as well as other products) is simplicity. Personally, I've always thought Adidas focus too much on sticking loads of different "innovations" into their gear, which means you end up with a shirt that has function triumphing over form by a huge margin. Nike seem to think first of the design of the shirt, and then afterwards incorporate their own "innovations" into it. In terms of these differing technologies, for me I've never really found any actual difference between Adidas and Nike - I live in a very hot country, and so at the end of the day I'm gonna be soaked in sweat after practice no matter which brand I choose, so picking one or the other based on their tech doesn't really enter into the equation. Therefore, I pick my stuff based on looks (shallow I know :) ) and for me Nike wins in this department because they can make a tennis shirt not look like a tennis shirt. As in, I often wear my Nike tennis tees off-court because they still look like normal clothing. Certain things are a bit too much; I could never wear those big RF tees as it just seemed a bit too fanboyish, but they've improved those this year, as the new ones have a much smaller logo on the left side, which I think looks far better - almost like a brand name in itself. Adidas too have improved their stuff this year - in particular the Verdasco line looks really good this year. But I still feel Nike has the edge in terms of looks and style with pretty much every product in their range.
So if I had to make some suggestions, I'd say that first and foremost should be design. No huge logos, big flashy colours, large stripes or different materials. On a tee for example, only one or two strong (like blue, red, green) colours in lighter and darker shades, keep it lightweight and maybe make the brand name large enough to recognise, but not enough to distract. Maybe if you were to branch out into different lines, use subtle contrasting colours to grab attention, rather than a single bold colour. I'll go against the grain and say I prefer the buttoned polo, as it gives a more classic look, and I find it more comfortable. This is the catalogue for Nike's Fall '11 line, which is one of my favourites so far (tennis is on page 107): http://www.sportsworldinc.com/sports...rformacnce.pdf, and here's Summer '11 (tennis on p. 104): http://www.sportsworldinc.com/sports...ce-apparel.pdf
One of the things I really like about it is that the colours they have chosen all seem to give a very crisp and clean feel about them, even if they are bright green or blue. And even the more complicated patterns, such as the stripes or checks have a sense of simplicity about them.
Anyway, hope that my ramblings haven't been too useless, and good luck to you too. Be good to see some of your initial thoughts on products and such. And have you got a name for the brand yet?

jkang909 02-22-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 5441788)
Polos with zips instead of plakets and buttons are an underdone item.

+1

i just like smooth clothing without and fancy stuff (seams and mesh panels) like what adidas does... adidas does too much and i think it would be more comfortable if there was nothing like that (like nike)

do you have a name for the new brand of tennis clothes?

tumalow2 02-22-2011 09:41 PM

Thanks for the input, it has helped a lot, especially knowing it is coming from tennis players. I will probably upload some pictures of the prototypes come early April and right now I am still struggling to come up with a solid name/logo. For me it has been the most difficult part, I was originally going to use my last name which is Dols but it is really boring and dull so I thought it would be better to get more creative and look elsewhere for a name. I really like the zip up idea, have not really seen much of them lately and kinda makes me miss the days when they were pretty big, like 4-5 years ago I think. Thanks for the input on the logo too, it is definitely good not to make it too big. I remember a few years ago nike has some pretty awesome color schemes but I was not a big fan of the HUGE swoosh on the sleeve. If the company ever gets bigger than my local area I will definitely let you guys know about product testing and worst case scenario is i've got a bunch of custom clothes to wear :)

max 02-23-2011 06:54 AM

Solid construction, good materials, these count for much.

I would love to find some shorter length tennis shorts, in white, that are not see-through.

I'm not in love with polyester and the floppy basketball look. I really like the old tennis style of, say, 1980.

I particularly think the old Prince light green is a good color to work with.

If I were starting a tennis line, I'd try to put something in about every price range, so people can at least buy something. I'd go big on wristbands, headbands, socks, and big on t-shirts (I'd work hard to find a good graphic designer; especially young people like heavy duty graphics).

kimguroo 02-23-2011 02:33 PM

it will be very tough to sell since nike and adidas dominate the market.

1. the price of apparels might be the key because if prices of your apparels are close to nike or adidas, I don't think you can sell well.

maybe the price range should be $40 for polo and $30 for crew. if the price goes over that range, I don't know how many people really buy apparels.

2. material. I like most of nike materials.
3. design (should have awesome simple logos)

honestly, not a good idea to get into tennis apparel business because of two giant companies.
you should have strong marketing ideas. good luck ^_^

scraps234 02-23-2011 05:49 PM

.. look forward to pics as well as far as design goes i like what athletic dna is doing with the eclipse personally and i like poly or nylon for materials

MurrayisBEAST 02-23-2011 06:01 PM

I really like the Nike crews. Something like this

kl2963 02-23-2011 06:07 PM

I would love to see more quality tennis clothes at an affordable price.

scraps234 02-24-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayisBEAST (Post 5444080)
I really like the Nike crews. Something like this

I like this as well what is the sleeve he is wearing

brownbearfalling 02-27-2011 01:52 AM

That sleeve is a nike pro compression sleeve. Also called a shooter's sleeve. A lot of basketball players wear it.

What I would like to see in tennis clothing is a good selection of shorts. I'm not a big fan of loose fabric shorts. The material and fit of the Nike Conquer shorts were the best for me. With the tighter and stretchy shorts the balls in the pocket stay in place.

kevoT 02-27-2011 12:30 PM

Some new age design crews (for us teens and 20somethingers!) and a few nice, simple and light polos (love 'em :))

Nextman916 02-27-2011 12:34 PM

Velcroooooo! place some straps on the neck/arms to tighten fit.