Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Wilson Shock Shield Hybrid Grip: GREAT! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=370707)

TimothyO 03-02-2011 06:10 AM

Wilson Shock Shield Hybrid Grip: GREAT!
 
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...SON-WSSHG.html

I've just used this grip on my AG 4D 100 and Biomimetic 200 Lite. It's heavy and in a standard installation it seems to add about .4 oz to a racquet's strung weight but it's worth it the extra weight!

Other "comfort" grips feel mushy with a loss of feel and control. With this grip you still feel the bevels, there's excellent feel and control, and yet the comfort is on par with my Volkl's and their special Sensor grip system.

If you can take the extra weight and want a really comfy grip with no loss in feel or control then this is the PERFECT comfort grip. Traction is outstanding too and I sweat pretty bad.

For those with a one-hand back-hand try this: I cut my replacement grips down to 3/4 length so it fits my hand perfectly. I use a color-coordinated overgrip to cover the remainder of the handle. Looks great, you still have some texture for two-handed volleys, and you shave off some weight.

tennisnoob3 03-02-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5459139)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...SON-WSSHG.html

I've just used this grip on my AG 4D 100 and Biomimetic 200 Lite. It's heavy and in a standard installation it seems to add about .4 oz to a racquet's strung weight but it's worth it the extra weight!

Other "comfort" grips feel mushy with a loss of feel and control. With this grip you still feel the bevels, there's excellent feel and control, and yet the comfort is on par with my Volkl's and their special Sensor grip system.

If you can take the extra weight and want a really comfy grip with no loss in feel or control then this is the PERFECT comfort grip. Traction is outstanding too and I sweat pretty bad.

For those with a one-hand back-hand try this: I cut my replacement grips down to 3/4 length so it fits my hand perfectly. I use a color-coordinated overgrip to cover the remainder of the handle. Looks great, you still have some texture for two-handed volleys, and you shave off some weight.

thanks! unfortunately this subforum is pretty dead and most people dont try too many replacement grips. have you tried any of the other new wilson grips?

ever try syntec? can u compare if you had? im curious as to the actual weight of the grip as some have commented that dunlop grips are somewhat light and thin

Torres 03-02-2011 12:30 PM

Just what the doctor ordered.....I asked about this in the other thread but no one answered, so thanks.

I'm going to order a few, as I do like Wilson grips (and also the variety in their range) to try out.

tennisnoob3 03-02-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 5459965)
Just what the doctor ordered.....I asked about this in the other thread but no one answered, so thanks.

I'm going to order a few, as I do like Wilson grips (and also the variety in their range) to try out.

keep us updated!! which ones are you planning on getting?

scotus 03-02-2011 01:40 PM

Why does TW charge $1 more than its competitors?

Torres 03-02-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisnoob3 (Post 5460086)
keep us updated!! which ones are you planning on getting?

TrueGrip, ShockShield, MicroDry (don't like that already because its not flat), and K-Grip.

scotus 03-02-2011 05:54 PM

TimothyO,

Is Shock Shield long enough to wrap a longbody racquet handle?

JT_2eighty 03-03-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 5460223)
TrueGrip, ShockShield, MicroDry (don't like that already because its not flat), and K-Grip.

I'd be curious how the tack and thickness on this Shockshield compares to True Grip. A heavier synthetic grip is something I'm on the lookout for, so this sounds like a potential.

Torres 03-03-2011 02:55 PM

I'll let you know, though it probably won't be for a while though as I doubt that I'm going to be able to get through two replacement grips anytime quickly.

That said, the official specs are identical:

Shock Shield
Length 1100mm
Quantity per Package 1
Width 27mm
Material IsoZorb Gel, Polyurethane
Thickness 2.0mm
Category Replacement Grip

True Grip
Length 1100mm
Quantity per Package 1
Width 27mm
Material Microfiber Co-Polymer Composite Felt, Polyurethane
Thickness 2.0mm
Category Replacement Grip

The only thing that concerns me is that its noticeably thicker than the stock Pro-Hybrid grip, which with an OG added, is going to make it thicker still:

Pro-Hybrid
Length 1100mm
Quantity per Package 1
Width 27mm
Material Leather, Polyurethane
Thickness 1.6mm
Category Replacement Grip

Thickest is Comfort-Hybrid:

Length 1100mm
Quantity per Package 1
Width 27mm
Material Air Foam, Polyurethane
Thickness 2.2mm
Category Replacement Grip

parasailing 03-03-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5459139)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...SON-WSSHG.html

.

If you can take the extra weight and want a really comfy grip with no loss in feel or control then this is the PERFECT comfort grip. Traction is outstanding too and I sweat pretty bad.


I have tried out Wilson Aire Contour, Wilson Kgrip, Dunlop Gecko Grip, Prince Resin Pro, and Babolat Skin Feel replacement grip and I like the Aire Contour mainly because it has good cushioning and helps me not grip the handle so tight. How does the Wilson Shock Shield compare?

TimothyO 03-03-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 5460704)
TimothyO,

Is Shock Shield long enough to wrap a longbody racquet handle?

I'm not certain. After installing all the way up my AG 4D 100 (my wife uses this racquet on occasion and uses a 2HBH) I did have some extra length to trim off (maybe 3"-4"?). Enough for a longbody? Perhaps, I just can't say for certain.

I only wrapped my B200 Lite 3/4 of the way up the handle as I use a 1-hand backhand and wanted to save weight if possible and this is a heavy grip. I covered the remainder of the handle with a lime green Wilson overgrip...looks really cool!

TimothyO 03-03-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisnoob3 (Post 5459951)
thanks! unfortunately this subforum is pretty dead and most people dont try too many replacement grips. have you tried any of the other new wilson grips?

ever try syntec? can u compare if you had? im curious as to the actual weight of the grip as some have commented that dunlop grips are somewhat light and thin

For the B200 Lite I first tried a 3/4 install of a replacement Biomimetic grip with some lead underneath to push the balance even more HL...they're darn thin! Maybe the same as two over grips?

Didn't like the result and went to the Wilson with no lead and the result was far more comfy and just as HL.

One more bit of advice...I noticed on my AG 4D 100 it took the grip up a full size. Not a problem for me as I'm easily 4-5/8 to 4-3/4 using the TW measurement methods. But if you're existing grip is already stretching your hand do know this is a VERY thick grip.

tennisnoob3 03-03-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5463002)
For the B200 Lite I first tried a 3/4 install of a replacement Biomimetic grip with some lead underneath to push the balance even more HL...they're darn thin! Maybe the same as two over grips?

Didn't like the result and went to the Wilson with no lead and the result was far more comfy and just as HL.

One more bit of advice...I noticed on my AG 4D 100 it took the grip up a full size. Not a problem for me as I'm easily 4-5/8 to 4-3/4 using the TW measurement methods. But if you're existing grip is already stretching your hand do know this is a VERY thick grip.

hmm, thats interesting to note. would you say the grip size runs small compared to others, say babolat again?

scotus 03-04-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5462995)
I'm not certain. After installing all the way up my AG 4D 100 (my wife uses this racquet on occasion and uses a 2HBH) I did have some extra length to trim off (maybe 3"-4"?). Enough for a longbody? Perhaps, I just can't say for certain.

I only wrapped my B200 Lite 3/4 of the way up the handle as I use a 1-hand backhand and wanted to save weight if possible and this is a heavy grip. I covered the remainder of the handle with a lime green Wilson overgrip...looks really cool!

How heavy is this grip?

I use Kevlar grips. One model is 1.2 oz and anther 1.6 oz.

Surely, there is no grip heavier than these....

JT_2eighty 03-04-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 5462594)

The only thing that concerns me is that its noticeably thicker than the stock Pro-Hybrid grip, which with an OG added, is going to make it thicker still:

Oh, didn't realize you are using an OG as well. IME, the True Grip is very soft... I've never used an OG on it as that would be too squishy for my tastes. You should try them w/o OG since you are currently using WPH + OG, as you say, the other two + OG could be too thick...

Torres 03-18-2011 03:10 PM

Just in installed my Shock Shield grip.

Definitely unusual.....things I noticed:-

- the Wilson BLX racquets have a plastic cutout in the butt cap to slip the start of the replacement grip into
- the stock Wilson Pro Hybrid grip (removed straight from the handle of my racquet) weighs 20g exactly
- the Head Xtreme overgrip I had on top weights 6.5g with securing tape.
- the Shock Shield weights 28.6g out of the packet, though that will reduce with a small amount of trimming.
- the 'spongy' part of the Shock Shield grip is a strip of bright blue gel with an odd smell.
- the grip overlaps with edges, so if you don't like overlapping grips with edges.....
- grip is quite thick. It's thicker than the stock Pro Hybrid and Head Overgrip. Will increase the grip size slightly.
- grip is quite spongy
- actual grip surface material feels a little bit abrasive to me. Maybe it will be get better with use, grime etc
- putting the Shock Shield grip on is likely to alter the balance of the racquet from stock form given the extra weight unless you are used to having an overgrip on your original racquet.
- with my setup, my overall racquet weight increased by 5.1g in the handle
- mutes the degree of feedback you get from the racquet on impact with the ball

Overall, it 'does what it says in tin' ie thick, spongy grip but it is a bit of an acquired taste.

Torres 03-19-2011 04:36 AM

The weights of these Wilson grips are all over the place.

The [K]ontrol grip is 18.6g
MicroDry Comfort 18.6g

I wish they would put the weight on the packet.

tennisnoob3 03-20-2011 09:40 AM

wow 28.6 untrimmed is close to that of some leather grips.

Fedace 03-20-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5459139)
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...SON-WSSHG.html

I've just used this grip on my AG 4D 100 and Biomimetic 200 Lite. It's heavy and in a standard installation it seems to add about .4 oz to a racquet's strung weight but it's worth it the extra weight!

Other "comfort" grips feel mushy with a loss of feel and control. With this grip you still feel the bevels, there's excellent feel and control, and yet the comfort is on par with my Volkl's and their special Sensor grip system.

If you can take the extra weight and want a really comfy grip with no loss in feel or control then this is the PERFECT comfort grip. Traction is outstanding too and I sweat pretty bad.

For those with a one-hand back-hand try this: I cut my replacement grips down to 3/4 length so it fits my hand perfectly. I use a color-coordinated overgrip to cover the remainder of the handle. Looks great, you still have some texture for two-handed volleys, and you shave off some weight.

Can't be any heavier than Gamma pro RX grip. but i wonder if it is better than that on absorbing shock ? and do you feel that you lose too much ball feel with this grip ?

bmtx 07-07-2012 12:52 PM

just wanted to add my 2 cents.

i installed these shock shields to my head ytpmp, and i love the feel i get from the rackets. it definitely mutes the vibration by a lot. i am very pleased.

before with the stock hydrosorb, i could feel the vibration soar through my arm on my forehands. now with the shock shields, its toned down a lot.

i have to say, it does increase the grip size but a noticeable amount (noticeable.. not a lot though)., you do lose a little bit of the bevel... noticeable, but not a lot. and you do lose bit of "raw feel" if you will, when making contact with the ball.

hmm.. one thing that i found annoying, is the application of it. here's my best to create an accurate description, lets say hypothetically the grip is 1 inch wide, the gel portion of the grip, is centered against the outer grip, and measures only roughly .8 inches wide. therefore, it leaves a little bit of the outer grip without gel portion. i wanted to make sure that the gel portion was consistent throughout the entire grip, so i made sure i did the right overlapping, but the outer grip (the extra bit on the outside) tends to fold in, and creates an uneven job...

also, i didn't like the look of it after it was done. it looked kinda like michelin man. but it doesn't matter to me, because i was planned to put an overgrip over it.

i hardly think those things mentioned are that much of a compromise compared to what was gained for me.

i have slight tennis elbow, and this helped a lot. definitely rec'd for those with elbow issues.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse