Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Combo Doubles Southern Sectionals (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=370789)

tennis_tater 03-02-2011 03:52 PM

Combo Doubles Southern Sectionals

I believe its this weekend in Mobile. Anyone playing? Already read about the stacked Alabama 8.5 team. Any other predictions?

Z-Man 03-03-2011 05:45 PM

I predict the Georgia team comes through group 1 and humiliates the stacked team from Alabama by winning all 3 lines in straight sets while funneling beers on court. Almost forgot--the Georgia team wears short shorts and plays with wooden racquets.

beernutz 03-03-2011 06:10 PM

I know our club's har-tru courts have been donated as a venue for the tourney and that it is supposed to rain like dogs and cats tomorrow and Saturday so I would recommend bringing your cleats.

Z-Man 03-04-2011 11:10 AM

Weather is a huge bummer. Windy and wet.
However my kids really enjoyed the USS Alabama this morning.

Kostas 03-04-2011 11:43 AM

Memphis 6.5 men are strong.

MS 7.5 women also.

tennis_tater 03-04-2011 03:29 PM

Are they getting any play in today in Mobile?

beernutz 03-04-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5464805)
Are they getting any play in today in Mobile?

It hasn't been continuously raining today so I'd bet they got in some play earlier but it started this afternoon and there is a 100% chance of heavy thunderstorms tomorrow: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Mobile+AL+36608

It is a bummer also because it is mardi gras here and the paraders are going to get soaked.

Z-Man 03-04-2011 07:11 PM

Went down in flames tonight in a disappointing 8-game pro set. It sucked. Got called to the courts moments before my dinner arrived. They were OK, but I never got a feel for the courts. Oh well, at least I can hang out with the wife and kids while it rains all day tomorrow.

jonnyjack 03-04-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-Man (Post 5465150)
Went down in flames tonight in a disappointing 8-game pro set. It sucked. Got called to the courts moments before my dinner arrived. They were OK, but I never got a feel for the courts. Oh well, at least I can hang out with the wife and kids while it rains all day tomorrow.

That's what happened to us in Fresno at Norcal Combo Districts. We had to play no-ad 8 game pro sets on the 2nd and 3rd days.

tennis_tater 03-07-2011 05:58 AM

I just checked out Tennis Link and it looks like they actually finished the tournament despite all of the bad weather on the Gulf Coast this weekend. Also looks like the Alabama 8. 5 team steamrolled their way to another Southern Sectional Championship. I know some poster in another post said that most of the guys on the Alabama team don't play in any other leagues, so they never get bumped up, and they just keep coming back and winning 8.5 combo every year. I don't know if that's true or not, but if so, what's the point? I see Southern's has a 9.5 division. You would think a team that has won 8.5 sectionals three years in a row (as the other poster said) would want to play up in the next division for some competition.

SmackDown 03-08-2011 12:58 PM

Told You SO

Yep - our Huntsville,AL 8.5 combo team lost to Tuscaloosa 8.5 combo team
in the finals of Alabama State Combo - and we had 3 4.0's from Alabama's
national championship 4.0 team and still lost in two 3rd set tiebreakers to
Tuscaloosa. They ROLLED everyone down at Southern Sectionals (not surprising) I predicted it. Mississippi only got a few games off each court against Tuscaloosa in the FINALS on Sunday. Pathetic.

They should have filed grievances against 3 of the Tuscaloosa players.
2 being former pro players with world rankings.

AND The Alabama Director of Combo knew about the players and did
nothing about it.

Wakenslam 03-09-2011 09:42 AM

Wait a second, a former world ranked pro can be rated a 4.5? Something's not right here.

SmackDown 03-09-2011 11:23 AM

No - he's a selfrated 5.0 playing with a 3.5 who is really a 4.5....

Bama Bear 03-09-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5469248)
I just checked out Tennis Link and it looks like they actually finished the tournament despite all of the bad weather on the Gulf Coast this weekend. Also looks like the Alabama 8. 5 team steamrolled their way to another Southern Sectional Championship. I know some poster in another post said that most of the guys on the Alabama team don't play in any other leagues, so they never get bumped up, and they just keep coming back and winning 8.5 combo every year. I don't know if that's true or not, but if so, what's the point? I see Southern's has a 9.5 division. You would think a team that has won 8.5 sectionals three years in a row (as the other poster said) would want to play up in the next division for some competition.

Tater the 8.5 team has never played Adult tennis. For 6 yrs. they have been playing together. If these players had been playing in the adult league where a rating was generated all of these players would be a minimum of 4.5! Every 3 yrs they self-rate back in and have recently tried to rate in as a 3.5. The Person responsible for this cheating scandal is the Alabama Combo Coordinator Ruth Ann Bendall. Ruth knows these individuals are in total violation of the CODE OF TENNIS. If anyone would prefer to speak with her and have her explain why she lets the State of Alabama continue to receive a black-eye because of this conduct let me know her number is easily accessible. As we all know when you register to participate in a USTA sactioned tournament you expect the rules to be abided by. Ruth Ann knew well before hand that these players were wrong and should have acted yet she chose to quitely standby while the rest of the Alabama tennis community continues to receive a bad name(cheaters etc.) Its time to stand up Ruth and do the right thing for Tennis in the State of Alabama. Its time to stand up or step out. Ruth you've been in pioneer when it comes to tennis especially in Alabama. Don't let a handful of cheaters ruin your great reputation. And last but not least we have Ms. Holly Goddard. Combo is/was a great tournament however it has become no more than a OUTLAW free for all, free for all the cheaters.

tennis_tater 03-02-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmackDown (Post 5472247)
Yep - our Huntsville,AL 8.5 combo team lost to Tuscaloosa 8.5 combo team
in the finals of Alabama State Combo - and we had 3 4.0's from Alabama's
national championship 4.0 team and still lost in two 3rd set tiebreakers to
Tuscaloosa. They ROLLED everyone down at Southern Sectionals (not surprising) I predicted it. Mississippi only got a few games off each court against Tuscaloosa in the FINALS on Sunday. Pathetic.

They should have filed grievances against 3 of the Tuscaloosa players.
2 being former pro players with world rankings.

AND The Alabama Director of Combo knew about the players and did
nothing about it.

Looks like tuscaloosas dominance of 8.5 southerns is finally coming to an end as they already have a loss in group play.

Bama's 7.5 team looks stacked with a number of players from their recent national teams. Looks like they will be the favorite in their division.

tennis_tater 02-15-2014 07:33 AM

Anyone going to Combo Sectionals in Mobile in a few weeks? Looks like its the same week as Mardi Gras weekend. Heard Mobile has a pretty good Mardi Gras, so could be a fun weekend to be there for Sectionals.

gmatheis 02-15-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 8124397)
Anyone going to Combo Sectionals in Mobile in a few weeks? Looks like its the same week as Mardi Gras weekend. Heard Mobile has a pretty good Mardi Gras, so could be a fun weekend to be there for Sectionals.

I went a couple years ago to Mobile for sectionals (we won 6.5 yay) and it must have been the weekend just after Mardi Gras because there were still beads all in the trees and the bars were pretty dead.

I bet you'll have a blast if it's going on while you're there , but probably harder to get a room.

I'm going this year for 40+ 7.5 but it's in Dothan.