Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Worst/Interestingly different courts you've played on (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3720)

spam 04-23-2004 04:18 AM

The Worst/Interestingly different courts you've played on

My vote goes to a court I played on ,on a stag do in Cyprus.I Was looking forward to playing on a flood lit red clay court for a couple of hours each night before getting on it.Only problem was the court was made of what can only be described as green tinsel,the type used to make fake x-mas trees.It was like playing on a giant grass skirt.The surface was so slick that returning serve was almost impossible and running on it, you got tangled up.The hotel is a five star!!!I also once rented a villa in Majorca that had a beautiful hard court with a small tree growing out of it.

david aames 04-23-2004 10:10 AM

Nice topic. Deuce Mag is supposed to have a feature next month on 'backyard courts'.

For me, it will always be the local clay court in the south of France where I learned how to play. Surrounded by pines. I would pick cherries from the trees on my way there.

normnmiles 04-23-2004 10:51 AM

In high school, we had to play one team on some asphalt courts. They were in pretty bad shape and there were cracks and weeds growing all over the surface.

@wright 04-23-2004 10:56 AM

I played on a court a couple months ago that had a thick coat of pollen on the surface, it slowed the ball down considerably, it almost felt like we were playing on clay. There would be a yellow cloud when the ball landed and when you hit it.

TMB 04-23-2004 05:37 PM

The court was one foot short at each end.

widebody 13 04-23-2004 06:51 PM

There was a tournament that I played in Baltimore where there were both hard courts and red clay. According to the schedule, you might play the first round on the hard stuff and the second on the dirt . . .

Joe Average 04-23-2004 09:47 PM

On a wooden gymnasium floor in Amherst, MA. There were so many differently colored, criss-crossing lines on the floor -- for basketball, volleyball, and tennis -- I couldn't find the baseline or the alleys.

Steve Huff 04-23-2004 10:17 PM

I don't know which of these 3 was worst.

1. I HS, our home courts were concrete. The service box on the deuce side may be smooth as glass while the service box on the ad side was heavily textured. Also, had a built-in crack (expansion joint) running up the middle of the court from net to baseline. (this was Nathan Hale HS in Tulsa, OK in 1975)

2. Wood floor that doubled as a volleyball court at Okla. St.

3. Old Dominion University, where a lot of our USTA sectionals are played. There is so much coal dust on the courts from all the mining at or near the university. Open a new can of balls, roll it across the court and it will have a black line on it. How do you think they look after a few games? Worse than that, I wonder what is going into my lungs there.

Deuce 04-24-2004 12:49 AM

Yeah - those wooden gym floors are something else. The excessive number of lines was the least of my problems. The ball simply never bounces more than a foot off the ground. When the ball hits the varnished wood, it slides for about 4 feet, and then barely comes up. Sort of like playing on ice, I guess.

Morpheus 04-24-2004 03:26 AM

I played HS matches on Tartan, the rubberized surface you see in indoor fieldhouses for basketball. Not quite as fast as wood, but really poor lighting and still very, very fast. It suited my S&V game.

Our outdoor courts were asphalt with wire fences for nets. The nets were too low and straight across (no drape and not higher in the alleys). The ball would also shoot through the net and if you were the netman in doubles, it was quite common to catch a return in the nads (from a ball that went through the net and deflected at an unexpected angle).

uk_skippy 04-24-2004 04:44 AM

Here are prob the worst courts Ive played on...

1) Where we used to play our matches on grass they marked the service box at one end about 3ft too much. Luckily it was at the beginning of the season so they had time to change it!

2) At a junior coaching session we used to train indoors at a local school on varnished gym floor. The Balls stayed low and fast. Def improved yor reactions tho.

LMW 04-24-2004 10:22 AM

I used to play on tennis courts that were located inside a dormant volcano in Pozzuoli, Italy. The courts were fine; the location interesting.

ProStaffTour90 04-24-2004 12:51 PM

woah, that's sooo cool!

i.Radical 04-24-2004 01:58 PM

When I was in Japan, I played on a court with carpet or carpet-like material. To my surprise, it had little to no differences than hard courts.

@wright 04-24-2004 02:40 PM

Morpheus' experience has to be one of the worst on here, that sounds like an absolute nightmare! A fence for a net?!?!?!

Morpheus 04-24-2004 03:38 PM

Yea, I guess the city thought the nets would be stolen or vandalized; never mind that I lived in the crime filled area of northern Minnesota!

ohplease 04-24-2004 05:05 PM

1) Dusty cushioned basketball court. No bounce. No traction.

2) "Grass" court made up of different heights/consistency of astro turf/welcome mats. Physically dangerous and forget about letting it bounce.

3) Ancient har-tru where all the grit had been blown/scraped away. Cracks and trenches scraped out along the baseline.

Kirko 04-24-2004 07:54 PM

Worst courts ; El Centro , CA. & Cancun Mexico circa. 1980 & the Casa Maya . The best St. Louis Country Clup indoor built 1916 by Dwight Davis & where I lived for yrs. Lakeridge in Reno , NV.

kevhen 04-28-2004 10:58 AM

Asphalt where it was cracking and pieces were sticking to the balls. The nets were metal too I think. In HS, the concrete surface was full of cracks with foot long weeds growing through. We would spend 5 minutes before starting, pulling weeds, until finally it got down to a manageable level.

David Pavlich 04-28-2004 07:32 PM

When I lived in Brandon, FL, the place that I actually started to play tennis had ok courts, but at night in the spring there was an insect about the size of the A10 Thunderbolt II that would dive bomb the courts at night...literally. You'd be playing and WHAM! One of these big things would hit you in the back or on the head...we ALWAYS had a hat on. Lotsa' let calls.

David