Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I love the most random frame - Pro Kennex Kinetic Pro 7g (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372601)

bluetrain4 03-16-2011 07:28 PM

I love the most random frame - Pro Kennex Kinetic Pro 7g

It may not be random to a lot of you, but I haven't touched a Pro Kennex since I was in high school (nearly 20 years ago), when they were pretty popular (e.g., Black Ace, White Ace, Silver Ace, all great frames).

So, I got some demos including the BLX Six-One 16x18, Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT, and the Pro Kinetic 7G after reading little bit about it. Just wanted to try something different outside of the major brands.

It didn't even feel that great in my hands when I received it, but I really, really enjoyed hitting with it. Really fit my strokes well and I liked the overall feel. And, this great experience was with very average 16g nylon strings. It should be even better with the strings of my choice.

Does anyone know the true specs for the 7g, including strung weight, stiffness, balance, swing weight? The published specs vary substantially among major tennis websites.

scotus 03-16-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 5493745)
It may not be random to a lot of you, but I haven't touched a Pro Kennex since I was in high school (nearly 20 years ago), when they were pretty popular (e.g., Black Ace, White Ace, Silver Ace, all great frames).

So, I got some demos including the BLX Six-One 16x18, Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT, and the Pro Kinetic 7G after reading little bit about it. Just wanted to try something different outside of the major brands.

It didn't even feel that great in my hands when I received it, but I really, really enjoyed hitting with it. Really fit my strokes well and I liked the overall feel. And, this great experience was with very average 16g nylon strings. It should be even better with the strings of my choice.

Does anyone know the true specs for the 7g, including strung weight, stiffness, balance, swing weight? The published specs vary substantially among major tennis websites.

The only "true specs" would be the very frame of yours measured on an RDC machine.

If published specs are all over the place, it probably means that quality control is quite loose. Perhaps RDC machines also need calibration?

bluetrain4 03-16-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 5493928)
The only "true specs" would be the very frame of yours measured on an RDC machine.

If published specs are all over the place, it probably means that quality control is quite loose. Perhaps RDC machines also need calibration?

Well, they're not that all over the place, it's just that I saw one particular glaring discrepancy. Most the sites have the weight around 11.7 oz, but one listed it at 12.2. Stiffness rating varied between 62 and 66, which doesn't bother me as much because I see that for a LOT of frames (for example the new Dunlop 200 is 57 on TW and 62 on Dunlop's site).

Don S 03-16-2011 10:16 PM

I would imagine that the stiffness difference may be a result of strung versus unstrung frames. 11.7 is more along the lines of being correct. 12.2 doesn't happen on that frame w/o lead.
But in the end, those numbers can't be applied to your specific 7G. It's like askingsomeone who has the same year,make,
and model of car as yours what their gas mileage is.

coolblue123 03-17-2011 03:49 AM

I had a 7g. But for a 11 oz + racquet, it certainly didn't feel like it. I really enjoy hitting with this stick. I used it during my TE days, it certainly allowed me to continue playing during my injury.
The only thing that i took me alittle time to get used to is the extended length.

scotus 03-17-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 5493953)
Well, they're not that all over the place, it's just that I saw one particular glaring discrepancy. Most the sites have the weight around 11.7 oz, but one listed it at 12.2. Stiffness rating varied between 62 and 66, which doesn't bother me as much because I see that for a LOT of frames (for example the new Dunlop 200 is 57 on TW and 62 on Dunlop's site).

I have 5 sticks of 7G.

11.7 oz strung is the correct one.

SteveI 03-18-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 5497397)
I have 5 sticks of 7G.

11.7 oz strung is the correct one.

I have owned 3.. all were in that range 11.7 ..11.8 never 12.2

DE19702 03-18-2011 08:33 AM

Mine is 11.7 oz. strung. However, it is only 27" long.

Anton 03-18-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetrain4 (Post 5493953)

11.7 is correct

Power Player 07-03-2011 08:06 PM

I felt the same way when I picked it up. Felt like a Babolat or hollow stick. But when I hit with it, I was sold. The feel is great. I have a hybrid in it at 58 right now.

As for weight, it is 11.7. 11.9 with overgrip and dampener. SW is 330. Swings easier than the specs to me.

mikeler 07-04-2011 03:30 AM

Power Player and I are just getting into these frames. The comfort is unreal.

richsox 07-04-2011 03:52 AM

Pro Kennex are some seriously undermarketed under rated Frames, to those who have yet to experience the revelation that is PK.

I own a PK i5 - and the Pro's at my club fight over whose turn it is for using it when I pull it out, as they are under a Wilson contract.

If PK had a few Top 20 players using the frame, they would take off and be a major brand!

pyrokid 07-04-2011 10:36 AM

Argh, PP... It's spreading. This is not good.

Power Player 07-04-2011 01:24 PM

It's true. Blame Mikeler. He discovered it and spread the word down here in FL. And BobFL told me some cool stuff about his Black Ace as well. PK is pretty much are ahead of the curve on racquet design quite often.

I took a shot on it. It could have easily sucked. But no..it is to me, far better than a Babolat PD or APDC because it hits big, but also has incredible feel.

pyrokid 07-04-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 5813290)
It's true. Blame Mikeler. He discovered it and spread the word down here in FL. And BobFL told me some cool stuff about his Black Ace as well. PK is pretty much are ahead of the curve on racquet design quite often.

I took a shot on it. It could have easily sucked. But no..it is to me, far better than a Babolat PD or APDC because it hits big, but also has incredible feel.

Unacceptable, this is a paradox.

I would have to check out the 5g if I got one though, I absolutely cannot stand the taller ones. I'll probably give it a shot sometime though.

Kevin T 07-04-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 5811918)
Power Player and I are just getting into these frames. The comfort is unreal.

I guess we both have fine taste in beer AND racquets. :)

netman 07-04-2011 02:43 PM

Search on PK 5g here and you will read this over and over - its not great at any one thing, but one of the best all-around frames made in the last 20 years. The 7g just adds a 1/2 inch to the mix without messing up the formula,

-k-

Power Player 07-04-2011 03:42 PM

I am still figuring out if the extended will be good on my shoulder. I love it though. It hits so big.

I felt some strain in my shoulder after serving, but that could have been my screwing up and muscling the ball. I think I just need to get used to it. I would rather have the 330 SW of the 7G, and will only go to the 5G if I have to.

What I like about this racquet compared to the babolats, is the feel is so much better. The pattern is also pretty tight so it is more accurate. It also serves bigger than an APDC and Pure Storm. Seems very easy to play with.

A good example is for me with the Prestige Mid, a lot of my forehands were decent when on the run, but now and then I could line it up and launch a rocket. With this stick, all I need to do is get the ball around waist height in my strike zone and it is absolutely crushed. The trajectory stays low as well..very djokovic-like.

The other thing that saves my wrist is if I catch the ball to close to the edge sometimes, I don;t get punished with that jarring feedback. I would get that with even the prestige and pure storm sometimes. The 7G just protects me from that, so I have more confidence to play my style and swing out.

Kcraig 07-04-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 5813290)

I agree on blaming MIKELER!! I'v been struggling with another bout of GE and Mikeler suggested the PK 7g so grabbed a demo and have now played 4x with it. I love the arm friendliness of it, but more importantly love the solid muted cushioned feel! However, the added length and extra SW combined with total static weight after OG and dampner of 12.0oz/340g was causing some control issues as I was late. I am going to try the 5g later this week and if is plays similar at all to the 7g, with a little more "manageable" mauverability then I will prolly have to pick one up--if nothing more than the fact that my elbow feels so much better after i played with it compared to my standard frame (modified Prince Diablo MP). Played 3 sets of singles today and did not have one "twinge" all day--even when serving, which is what usually causes me the most "discomfort"

mikeler 07-04-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin T (Post 5813475)
I guess we both have fine taste in beer AND racquets. :)

I hope I don't get "blamed" for hooking you on a particular beer! The 7G is right at the top end of the weight my shoulder can handle. The 5G I'm sure is nice too.