Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Has anyone on the board learned to hit 130mph serves? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372989)

kiteboard 03-19-2011 07:55 PM

Has anyone on the board learned to hit 130mph serves?
 
Just curious, if anyone posting can hit 130+. If so, how did you learn to do it?

TennisAddict121 03-19-2011 08:00 PM

The biggest I can hit is 123 mph, I am 6'4" but only 150 lbs. This is not something you learn, you just have to have a live arm, great timing, a lot of leg power, a decent amount of muscle and perfect form. It is the same as a regular serve you just have to dig deep, most people will never reach the 130s no matter how hard they try or train.

Charles 03-19-2011 09:07 PM

I totally want to be able to...

badmice2 03-19-2011 09:24 PM

I've came close, but not on a tennis court - 128 MPG (in a cage environment). I've done 125 on court. And like someone said already - perfect form is a must.

dak95_00 03-19-2011 09:27 PM

Is this a test to see how many VIs we have?

dr325i 03-19-2011 10:44 PM

I would suggest to add the requirement for all of those buffs that hit 115/120 and above TO POST A VIDEO!

SStrikerR 03-20-2011 12:02 AM

I'd be glad to be able to break 110.

fluffy Beaver 03-20-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 5503924)
I would suggest to add the requirement for all of those buffs that hit 115/120 and above TO POST A VIDEO!

Agreed. Funny thing, a lot of people that state they can his these serve speeds are people only playing for about 2-3 years.

jmverdugo 03-20-2011 04:30 AM

Normally I can hit +130MPH no problem, but everytime I am being filmed something happens that I start serving at 75MPH, I think is the camera...

Chenx15 03-20-2011 04:41 AM

i can serve 130 but i'm in canada so it's 130km/h :-D

dak95_00 03-20-2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmverdugo (Post 5504155)
Normally I can hit +130MPH no problem, but everytime I am being filmed something happens that I start serving at 75MPH, I think is the camera...

I've heard that you'll look 10 pounds heavier, your voice will sound similar to one of your parents, and it WILL take 50% off of the pace of your serve.:)

5263 03-20-2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiteboard (Post 5503683)
Just curious, if anyone posting can hit 130+. If so, how did you learn to do it?

I taught my first son to hit 130+ and he did it several times winning fast serve contests and clearly in most of his matches with his aces often punching thru the back fence. Once we played together in Open doubles against a former pro, so recently off the tour that he was still ranked well inside the top 200. Quite a small crowd showed up to see the pro's big serve in action, as the word was out about how he was lighting up folks in the earlier rounds. His serve had been clocked in the 130s on tour in the year preceding. After the match, most of the folks were coming up to me to say they came to see the pro serve, but that my son had stole the show with a bigger serve and better placement.

Anyway, we trained his serve by modeling on the Sampras serve for form and focused on hitting perfect slice second serves for all serves from ages 10-13, avoiding the slam 1st serve, push the second routine. This slice second serve approach gave him a super foundation to build on as he learned to bring more power with a deeper racket drop/delayed elbow extension as he moved into the 14s. We also used the towel swing training aid quite a bit along with warming up with high tosses with the football.

dennis10is 03-20-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 5503924)
I would suggest to add the requirement for all of those buffs that hit 115/120 and above TO POST A VIDEO!

Buffs? Tatiana Golovin hits 115/120 in matches. I was at IW a few years ago and was standing right next to her court (outside court) and she blew away a double specialist (playing singles) with her serves. The radar showed her consistently serving 115/120 mph and at ground level, where I was standing they looked legitimate. Wiki list her at 5'9" but she seemed smaller than that but what do I know.

My serve is about 30-50 mph underhanded.

Fedace 03-20-2011 08:11 AM

Ok, so some of the touring pros like Nishikori or tommy Robredo ranked top 100 cant' hit that serve then what are the chances of us doing it.

TennisAddict121 03-20-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedace (Post 5504451)
Ok, so some of the touring pros like Nishikori or tommy Robredo ranked top 100 cant' hit that serve then what are the chances of us doing it.

They are small though, there are plenty of players ranked in the 500s that serve faster than they do

kiteboard 03-20-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 5504264)
I taught my first son to hit 130+ and he did it several times winning fast serve contests and clearly in most of his matches with his aces often punching thru the back fence. Once we played together in Open doubles against a former pro, so recently off the tour that he was still ranked well inside the top 200. Quite a small crowd showed up to see the pro's big serve in action, as the word was out about how he was lighting up folks in the earlier rounds. His serve had been clocked in the 130s on tour in the year preceding. After the match, most of the folks were coming up to me to say they came to see the pro serve, but that my son had stole the show with a bigger serve and better placement.

Anyway, we trained his serve by modeling on the Sampras serve for form and focused on hitting perfect slice second serves for all serves from ages 10-13, avoiding the slam 1st serve, push the second routine. This slice second serve approach gave him a super foundation to build on as he learned to bring more power with a deeper racket drop/delayed elbow extension as he moved into the 14s. We also used the towel swing training aid quite a bit along with warming up with high tosses with the football.

Best answer in the thread.

bad_call 03-20-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 5503924)
I would suggest to add the requirement for all of those buffs that hit 115/120 and above TO POST A VIDEO!

do i get a prize? :)

Jonny S&V 03-20-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiteboard (Post 5504525)
Best answer in the thread.

Just because it agrees with you.

I personally have been clocked at 127 mph. I would love to post a vid of me serving all out, but I don't have the time to do this. I actually have somewhat of a social life.

fluffy Beaver 03-20-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny S&V (Post 5504562)
Just because it agrees with you.

I personally have been clocked at 127 mph. I would love to post a vid of me serving all out, but I don't have the time to do this. I actually have somewhat of a social life.

Have you seen your post count? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

tennisnoob3 03-20-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisAddict121 (Post 5503690)
The biggest I can hit is 123 mph, I am 6'4" but only 150 lbs. This is not something you learn, you just have to have a live arm, great timing, a lot of leg power, a decent amount of muscle and perfect form. It is the same as a regular serve you just have to dig deep, most people will never reach the 130s no matter how hard they try or train.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.325i (Post 5503690)
I would suggest to add the requirement for all of those buffs that hit 115/120 and above TO POST A VIDEO!

per dr.325's request....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T08Nfa0mDpQ


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse