Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The "Gutpoly High" Club (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=373635)

JackB1 03-24-2011 11:36 AM

The "Gutpoly High" Club

Thought I would start a "club" for all us natural gut / poly hybrid users to compare notes.

I am playing with a Becker London with Head Natural gut mains and am testing copoly crosses now. So far I have tried:

1) PF Black Venom - very nice. soft and low powered
2) Volkl V-Pro - also soft and a little more pop

I think the ideal cross for nat gut mains is a round, smooth poly that will slide easily along the gut. Also the round shape will not wear out the gut too fast.

dadozen 03-24-2011 11:49 AM

Count me in. Currently using VS Team/ Scorpion 1.22

Scorpion seems to be a very nice poly to be used as a cross for gut, but I'm still making some tests to improve the durability.

I already have VS Touch 16( both Black and Natural ) to try, along with Scorpion 1.28.

Also, I have VS Toch 15( agian, both Black and natural ) and Scorpion 1.33 sets to try. The one that gives me the best durabiltiy will be the chosen one. But if the difference between VS Touch 16/Scorpion 1.28 and VS Touch 15/Scorpion 1.33 isn't too big, I'll stick with VS Touch 16/Scorpion 1.28.

JackB1 03-24-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 5517127)
Count me in. Currently using VS Team/ Scorpion 1.22

Scorpion seems to be a very nice poly to be used as a cross for gut, but I'm still making some tests to improve the durability.

I already have VS Touch 16( both Black and Natural ) to try, along with Scorpion 1.28.

Also, I have VS Toch 15( agian, both Black and natural ) and Scorpion 1.33 sets to try. The one that gives me the best durabiltiy will be the chosen one. But if the difference between VS Touch 16/Scorpion 1.28 and VS Touch 15/Scorpion 1.33 isn't too big, I'll stick with VS Touch 16/Scorpion 1.28.

Welcome!

Yes, Scorpion is a good mix with gut because it gives it some crispness and is about medium powered I would guess.

rudester 03-24-2011 07:43 PM

Maybe i can be a part time member as i am always experimenting with strings. However, currently i am really excited about the performance of Genesis Natural Gut Mains/Luxiilon Savage Lime in crosses. This combo tested side by side in identical racquet strung with full poly has just as much spin as the full poly, more available power and unreal touch and feel.
I agree that round poly in the crosses is best option. I am more and more convinced that textured strings are just marketing.

Tennis100 03-24-2011 09:07 PM

Count me in. poor man's Federer setup. gaucho/tourna big hitter blue rough. actually amazing setup, worth a try

olliess 03-24-2011 10:07 PM

I'm fond of the Babolat combo with VS Gut/Pro Hurricane Tour. Despite the shape of the PHT, the VS Gut mains lasted about 6 times longer than Xcel/PHT with very little visible notching until near the end (when the gut frayed and fell apart completely). Noticeably better feel and spin to boot.

Ash_Smith 03-25-2011 12:34 AM

I've got RAB Gut mains and Genesis Spin-X crosses in one of my Prestige's at the moment - like it a lot, although the tension maintenence of the Spin-X leaves alot to be desired!!!

Cheers

Ash

Maui19 03-25-2011 02:33 AM

I have tried a couple setups:

1. Klip Natural Gut 16 w/ WC Silverstring 17
2. Klip w/MSV Hepta-Twist 17
3. Pacific Classic Natural Gut 16 w/MSV Hepta-Twist 17

Number 3 is now my permanent setup. I liked the way the Klip played, but didn't like the way it frayed so much. The Pacific doesn't fray and lasts longer. All three setups played well, but the MSV does produce more spin. I was worried about durability with the shaped Hepta-Twist, but surprisingly it lasted longer than the Silverstring. I think this is due to the fact that it has less contact surface area with the cross strings due to its shape. I believe this is the reason the Hepta-Twist produces such good (low) friction scores in the TW testing.

There are a lot of great strings out there.

neesun 03-25-2011 02:49 AM

Read my sig for my normal set up.

Trying poly/gut for a change, Alu Power @ 53 and Gut @ 56.

dadozen 03-25-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maui19 (Post 5518476)

Number 3 is now my permanent setup. I liked the way the Klip played, but didn't like the way it frayed so much. The Pacific doesn't fray and lasts longer. All three setups played well, but the MSV does produce more spin. I was worried about durability with the shaped Hepta-Twist, but surprisingly it lasted longer than the Silverstring. I think this is due to the fact that it has less contact surface area with the cross strings due to its shape. I believe this is the reason the Hepta-Twist produces such good (low) friction scores in the TW testing.

Maui, I wish I could get some Pacific gut to try, but the webstore I usually buy from doesn't sell it.

You could try Pacific Gut/WC SS, to check if your theory about MSV's shaped profile really gives a better durability or not. Maybe you're right, and all of us thinking that round polys are better are actually wrong.

I also found out that gut/poly setups are very tension sensitive.

The racquets strung at 53/50 and 52/49 last a lot longer than the ones strung at 55/52 and 56/53. I had three racquets strung at the last two tension setups and they didn't last longer than 1h30 each. That was quite frustrating.

Lambsscroll 03-25-2011 04:24 AM

Count me in. I like my Titan NG 16g / Eagnas Poly Nova 17g setup. Once I run out of the reel of poly nova I'll be testing polys at TW. I rather give money to TW than Eagnas.

Lambsscroll 03-25-2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

I'm definitely going to try your number 3. I have always wanted to try Pacific Classic and the Hepta-Twist sounds good not only for added durability throughout the string-bed but also for some added spin.

JackB1 03-25-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

I was worried about durability with the shaped Hepta-Twist, but surprisingly it lasted longer than the Silverstring. I think this is due to the fact that it has less contact surface area with the cross strings due to its shape. I believe this is the reason the Hepta-Twist produces such good (low) friction scores in the TW testing.

I just looked at the pic of Hepta Twist and I think u are right. The edges are diagonal and they dont sit perpendicular to the gut mains so they may not "dig in" so much. My only concern is that all 3 reviews I read mentioned that this string loses tension quickly after about 4 hours of play. Did u find this?

Does anyone have the link for TW's friction testing?

dadozen 03-25-2011 05:08 AM

There you go Jack:)

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...OFreporter.php

I think I'll place an order for MSV Hepta Twist 1.30 as well. Too bad I have one reel of Scorpion 1.22 and another of Scorpion 1.28....

JackB1 03-25-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 5518653)
There you go Jack:)

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...OFreporter.php

I think I'll place an order for MSV Hepta Twist 1.30 as well. Too bad I have one reel of Scorpion 1.22 and another of Scorpion 1.28....

Thanks bud! Don't get rid of the Scorpion until u try it! Scorpion is a great string too!

JackB1 03-25-2011 05:20 AM

Can anyone explain the diff's in all the Pacific guts?
There's Prime, Tough, & Classic.

Maui19 03-25-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5518637)
I just looked at the pic of Hepta Twist and I think u are right. The edges are diagonal and they dont sit perpendicular to the gut mains so they may not "dig in" so much. My only concern is that all 3 reviews I read mentioned that this string loses tension quickly after about 4 hours of play. Did u find this?

Does anyone have the link for TW's friction testing?

Hepta loses tension quickly? I thought it held tension well! To be honest, I've researched so many strings that I can't keep them straight any more. :?

I haven't noticed it losing tension particularly fast. The strings go a little flat before breaking, but that's after 20+ hours of play.

dadozen 03-25-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5518662)
Thanks bud! Don't get rid of the Scorpion until u try it! Scorpion is a great string too!

Relax Jack, Scorpion is my go to string and I just bought the 1.28 reel because it seems to give a better durability over the 1.22 gauge.;)

But I really want to try MSV Hepta Twist as well:D

JackB1 03-25-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 5518680)
Relax Jack, Scorpion is my go to string and I just bought the 1.28 reel because it seems to give a better durability over the 1.22 gauge.;)

But I really want to try MSV Hepta Twist as well:D

then just grab a pack or 2 to try out?

It also comes in black and red :)

JT_2eighty 03-25-2011 06:01 AM

The comprehensive answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5518663)
Can anyone explain the diff's in all the Pacific guts?
There's Prime, Tough, & Classic.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...75&postcount=4