Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   the advantage of not being a big server (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=373820)

Chenx15 03-25-2011 06:39 PM

the advantage of not being a big server

My serve was never my strength and there were times it was my greatest liability. i can hit 100mph to 105mph but maybe that's 1 out of one hundred first serves. but i do have good placement and enough spins on the ball that it can not be easily attacked.

I have seen a lot of posts here asking for serve improvement because it is a very glamorous shot and it's awesome when you can get some free points but at the end of the day your serve can only take you so far.

With that being said i for one am glad that my serve was not my major weapon and because of this i was forced to work on my ground strokes and game strategy. it made me think and it made me patient. it help me realize the importance of a good return of serve specially when i am playing with a good server and i can see the frustration in their eyes because i can return the serve with interest and just pound them in the ground strokes department. Big servers who are use to players who are just bowing down to their serves are having panic attacks when a player has excellent ROS and game plan Roddick vs. Fed, Fed vs Nadal.

And it's amazing that because i know my serve is not my biggest weapon it takes the pressure off it. it takes the pressure off the mentality to finish the point in one shot instead i focus on winning the point and placing the serve conservatively to open up the court for me or to put enough spins into it to so i can dictate the ground strokes or get the point going without giving a freebie. and knowing that i can win a point without depending on the serve is quite a sigh of relief.

I think what i am trying to share is, yes it's nice to have a big serve and deep in my heart i will not deny it that i wish i have one but for the time being i am glad that the serve i have is enough to start the point without giving it away. So should you, just think of the serve as a way to start the point and the pressure will be lifted off.

dozu 03-25-2011 06:42 PM

videos videos!

come on, if I can post my woman 6.0 serve without getting embarrassed, so can you lololol.

Chenx15 03-25-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5520494)
videos videos!

come on, if I can post my woman 6.0 serve without getting embarrassed, so can you lololol.

it's you again you bastid!!!:) is there a way to cut videos? i have a video helping my friend with his return of serves and there is about 30mins of crap in it. I don't mind posting it i just want to clean it up. it's also 4GB so i am not sure if youtube or the tinyurl will accept it.

LeeD 03-25-2011 06:52 PM

Ah, the curse of the big serve.
When opponent returns my serve well, what a shocker.
Of course, when I can return my opponent's serve well, that's a shocker too, for both of us.

dozu 03-25-2011 06:52 PM

granitechief, you are the expert, how do you edit videos?

seems like a lot of work, to cut out all the periods between points.

Fuji 03-25-2011 07:16 PM

I'm in the same boat as you! My serve is average at best for my level. It forced me to be really quick at the net, and develop solid foot work and ground strokes. Playing doubles for about 80% of my game time, the serve is something that "should" be the stroke that is attacked, it isn't because of good placement. I'm glad to see someone else like me! :)

-Fuji

dozu 03-25-2011 07:27 PM

well... jokes aside...

today I did bring a junk racket to the court and threw it a couple of times.... from a serving stance, I can only throw to the service line on the other side.... so now I am even more proud to have a 6.0 woman serve, with such limited physical ability.

Imagine years ago I mostly played S&V (probably was about 4.0 level back then).. had no serve, no forehand, no bh drive... but volleys were excellent..

and in recent years had to patch up all the holes, now FH (despite weird looking) is weapon, BH is a weapon, good from everywhere in the court.

a sucky serve does force you to get good in other parts of the game.

fuzz nation 03-26-2011 04:04 AM

The best high school team in my area is specifically coached to not go for big first serves. Their coach understands the value of a consistent, well placed first serve and gets his guys to use spinners and kickers on a regular basis for both singles and doubles. They've won a straight decade worth of titles, so I'd say they're doing something right.

A serve with lots of spin and an unpredictable bounce can force lots of weak returns just the same as a big heater, but it also has the advantage of going in with a much greater margin for error. Players in a doubles or serve and volley singles setting also need a slower traveling spin serve to create extra time to close the net.

My doubles pals have even convinced me to employ more of my spin serves, since they usually make more trouble for opponents than a flatter ball that can often be redirected with a lot of authority. We all want to at least be able to put a good dose of pepper on our serves, but the big flat heater really isn't as essential in any player's tool kit as a reliable spinner, at least on my list of priorities.

I'm also convinced that with all the things that we need to synchronize to produce a decent serve, this is one shot that's often worth the money for a lesson if you feel a real need to improve your own. We can describe what we think is happening with our own shots to our pals here, but there's always a degree of "lost in translation". A trained eye on the courts is usually the best investment toward a better serve.

Andre D 03-26-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5520494)
videos videos!

where can i find that 6.0 woman serve? :P

dozu 03-26-2011 05:26 AM

in my signature video

Tennis_Monk 03-26-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chenx15 (Post 5520487)
My serve was never my strength and there were times it was my greatest liability. i can hit 100mph to 105mph but maybe that's 1 out of one hundred first serves. but i do have good placement and enough spins on the ball that it can not be easily attacked.

I have seen a lot of posts here asking for serve improvement because it is a very glamorous shot and it's awesome when you can get some free points but at the end of the day your serve can only take you so far.

With that being said i for one am glad that my serve was not my major weapon and because of this i was forced to work on my ground strokes and game strategy. it made me think and it made me patient. it help me realize the importance of a good return of serve specially when i am playing with a good server and i can see the frustration in their eyes because i can return the serve with interest and just pound them in the ground strokes department. Big servers who are use to players who are just bowing down to their serves are having panic attacks when a player has excellent ROS and game plan Roddick vs. Fed, Fed vs Nadal.

And it's amazing that because i know my serve is not my biggest weapon it takes the pressure off it. it takes the pressure off the mentality to finish the point in one shot instead i focus on winning the point and placing the serve conservatively to open up the court for me or to put enough spins into it to so i can dictate the ground strokes or get the point going without giving a freebie. and knowing that i can win a point without depending on the serve is quite a sigh of relief.

I think what i am trying to share is, yes it's nice to have a big serve and deep in my heart i will not deny it that i wish i have one but for the time being i am glad that the serve i have is enough to start the point without giving it away. So should you, just think of the serve as a way to start the point and the pressure will be lifted off.

A well rounded game makes one compensate for other weakness/things that may not be working on a given day. Depending on the level of play, a big serve isnt just a 'nice to have' but a MUST. For me, it made the difference between playing #1 on my team instead of a sub. It could be the difference between saving a break point Vs getting down a break. I am not saying it cant be done with other aspects of game but it is probably a lot easier to do with a good serve.

A few free bees on the serve keeps a person little less tiring ;)

dozu 03-26-2011 05:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpelRORbGk

if she can play Wimbledon with this serve..... (fill in the blank)

arche3 03-26-2011 05:55 AM

I think the serve is probably the most important shot. It allows you to dictate the point. Even though my serve is not a heater I am very hard to break. And I am used to getting at least 1 free point on my serve. I am always changing pace, spin, and placement to gain the advantage. If I can hit a 120+ flat I would be in heaven....

HunterST 03-26-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5521132)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpelRORbGk

if she can play Wimbledon with this serve..... (fill in the blank)

Geeze, that is truly horrendous. I wonder what kind of MPHs she gets on her serve. I'd be shocked if either of those went over 90.

dozu 03-26-2011 05:58 AM

come on arche3, post some serves, me tired of looking at your jumping FH and screwed up BH.

on a serious note - agree that serve is the #1 important shot in tennis.

dozu 03-26-2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterST (Post 5521146)
Geeze, that is truly horrendous. I wonder what kind of MPHs she gets on her serve. I'd be shocked if either of those went over 90.

that's a 75mph serve.... it's just funny to see her back peddle as soon as the so-called serve is hit.... but you can see the rest of her game is superb, which is exactly the point of this thread.

and notice that after she missed the 1st serve, the baby goes - 'mama, that's an ugly serve!'

http://antonella-serra-zanetti.co.tv/

career high singles no.60, 2 doubles titles.... not too shabby with that kind of serve.

Lee, you under-rated my serve... Antonella obviously is 7.0 woman.

arche3 03-26-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5521148)
come on arche3, post some serves, me tired of looking at your jumping FH and screwed up BH.

on a serious note - agree that serve is the #1 important shot in tennis.

underhand baby! that ****es people off. :)
I went to video some serves today... got to the court. was only 40 degrees but sunny. got out... felt the chill of the wind... packed it up and went and got a chicken cutlet sandwich.

dozu 03-26-2011 03:11 PM

lolololol - what a sissy

I had to strap up my hurting ankle and battle for 2 hours....

went to Princeton Jadwin Gym earlier to watch the men's team hosting Penn. Me, wife and kids were amazed by the facility - above ground level indoor track + hoop court, plus underground levels of squash courts, fencing, wrestling rooms and 6 tennis courts..... amazing.

good tennis, Penn won both double matches, and we watched a few games of singles..... would be lucky for me to win 2 games a set against the 1st and 2nd singles guys... but the 3rd single from Penn is a baseline grinder also with a sucky woman 6.0 serve.... so I may have a chance there.

arche3 03-26-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5522158)
lolololol - what a sissy

I had to strap up my hurting ankle and battle for 2 hours....

went to Princeton Jadwin Gym earlier to watch the men's team hosting Penn. Me, wife and kids were amazed by the facility - above ground level indoor track + hoop court, plus underground levels of squash courts, fencing, wrestling rooms and 6 tennis courts..... amazing.

good tennis, Penn won both double matches, and we watched a few games of singles..... would be lucky for me to win 2 games a set against the 1st and 2nd singles guys... but the 3rd single from Penn is a baseline grinder also with a sucky woman 6.0 serve.... so I may have a chance there.

wonder if Penn uses Penn tennis balls? I really think penn balls suck.

also I really want to serve over 100. So the serve is my priority this spring. I think I do it now but only rarely.

dozu 03-26-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 5522174)
wonder if Penn uses Penn tennis balls? I really think penn balls suck.

also I really want to serve over 100. So the serve is my priority this spring. I think I do it now but only rarely.

well, it's Princeton home game so those gotta be Prince balls.

ok, I am holding my breath for your 100 mph serve video.