Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mikeler's Polys (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=373884)

mikeler 03-26-2011 01:49 PM

Mikeler's Poly Hybrids

Original post:

First off, this may be a very short thread since I've not played with polys at all the last 18 months. I strung up a full bed today of PolyStar Energy (PE) 17 at 50 pounds and a hybrid of Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge (B5E) 17 at 50 pounds with Mantis Comfort Synthetic (MCS) 16 at 55 pounds.

Stringing the PE was not too bad on the mains. Knots are harder on polys, I forgot about that! The crosses were tough because the string is so slippery. The B5E mains were a breeze and MCS is the easiest string for me to work with, so the 2nd racket probably took half the time of the first.

I bounced some balls off both setups and compared them to my 3rd racket with the multifilament Babolat Addiction at 60 pounds. The PE felt the softest, followed by the B5E hybrid and then the Addiction. We'll see how they perform in battle. I plan on playing a set tomorrow with each poly setup.

All strings (except B5E/ThB) were put in my Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus (non GT) with a leather grip. B5E/ThB was in my Pro Kennex 7Gs. I play with heavy spin on most shots at a 4.5 level and 95% of my matches are on Har-Tru. I string on a Gamma X-ST lockout machine. Rankings below:

--------------------

Update, I'm now testing full poly setups in my new Prince Tour 100T ESP frames.

--------------------

Full poly

One of my favorite strings playability wise but it has broken on me 4 times on shank, 3 times in an hour:
Discho Iontec Salmon 16 Warning, this string is prone to early breaks on shanks on the Prince Tour 100T ESP

1. Genesis Typhoon 16L
2. Volkl Cyclone Tour 16
3. Ytex Quadro Twist Black 16L
4. Golden Set Snake-Bite 16
5. Volkl Cyclone 16
6. Head Lynx 16
7. Wilson Ripspin 15
8. Prince Tour XC 15
9. Tecnifibre Razor Code 16
10. Weiss Cannon Scorpion 15
11. Tourna Big Hitter Black 7, 16g
12. Kirschbaum Spiky Black Shark 16
13. Gamma Moto 16
14. Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17
15 Solinco Tour Bite Soft 16
16 Topspin Cyber Flash 15
17. Head Hawk 17
18. Signum Pro Poly Plasma 16
19. Dunlop Ice 16
20. Yonex Poly Tour Pro 16L
21. Prince Beast XP 15
22. Genesis True Grit 16
23. Prince Tour XS 15L
NR Tecnifibre X-Code 16

Poly main hybrids

1. Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 mains/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 crosses
2. Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 mains/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 crosses
3. Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 mains/Tecnifibre Multifeel 16 crosses
4. Solinco Tour Bite Soft 17 mains/Babolat NVY 16 crosses
5. Signum Pro Tornado 17 mains/Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 crosses
6. Genesis Black Magic 17 mains/Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 crosses
7. Dunlop Black Widow 17 mains/Mantis Comfort 16 crosses short discussion

I did try Signum Pro Hyperion as a main but it bugged my elbow.

Poly/poly hybrid
1. Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 mains/Prince Tour XC black 15 crosses
2. Volkl Cyclone 16 mains/Wilson Ripspin 15 crosses

Other polys I've tried include Pro Supex Big Ace as a main string (used this for about a year) and Luxilon Big Banger Original which wrecked my arm.

Jeepers 03-26-2011 01:54 PM

Cant wait for the reviews :twisted:

Torres 03-26-2011 01:54 PM

I hope you're going to test strings for more than an hour before reviewing them this time.

JackB1 03-26-2011 02:09 PM

I have one of my racquets strung with full B5E.

mikeler 03-26-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5522063)

How does it play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 5522034)
I hope you're going to test strings for more than an hour before reviewing them this time.

I'll take as much time as necessary to get a feel for the string and update if needed. If you don't like that approach then start your own thread. :)

bad_call 03-26-2011 02:18 PM

this player doesn't need more than 1 hour to make a reasonable playing assessment. optimal string tension plays a significant role during evaluation. unfavorable conditions (weather, etc) should be viewed as such. however assessing durability, tension maintenance and playability requires a greater amount of time.

mikeler - welcome to the poly hybrid hitters. good luck in your search.

bad_call 03-26-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5522063)

whattt....:shock: you're living on the edge. :)

mikeler 03-26-2011 02:39 PM

The X1 review will be updated tonight.

mikeler 03-26-2011 02:42 PM

I reserve the right to cut out string when I darn well please. If that tarnishes the review, I don't care. I'm just trying to provide information. Use it at your own risk!

JackB1 03-26-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 5522077)
How does it play.

I'll take as much time as necessary to get a feel for the string and update if needed. If you don't like that approach then start your own thread. :)

Just strung the B5E today

mikeler 03-26-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5522171)
Just strung the B5E today

Seemed relatively soft to me.

SteveI 03-26-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 5522121)
I reserve the right to cut out string when I darn well please. If that tarnishes the review, I don't care. I'm just trying to provide information. Use it at your own risk!

Hey Mikeler,

Thanks for your efforts. I have found these reviews to be quite helpful. You have to look at Mikeler's playing style.. level.. frame and the fact that he plays a ton on clay.. and lives in a very southern state and adjust your insights due to those factors. There are so many strings.. so many frames.. tension.. and hybrid set-ups these days it can be quite crazy to select a set-up that will match your frame, swing speedswing length and skill set. All of these reviews help reduce the field and give you a nice place to start your quest. They are not intended guide you to the perfect set-up.. If you want that... pay a pro to watch you play.. and then have them chat with a very experienced MRT.. all at your cost.

Again...thanks Mike!! Keep up the good work!

Steve

mikeler 03-26-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 5522227)
Hey Mikeler,

Thanks for your efforts. I have found these reviews to be quite helpful. You have to look at Mikeler's playing style.. level.. frame and the fact that he plays a ton on clay.. and lives in a very southern state and adjust your insights due to those factors. There are so many strings.. so many frames.. tension.. and hybrid set-ups these days it can be quite crazy to select a set-up that will match your frame, swing speedswing length and skill set. All of these reviews help reduce the field and give you a nice place to start your quest. They are not intended guide you to the perfect set-up.. If you want that... pay a pro to watch you play.. and then have them chat with a very experienced MRT.. all at your cost.

Steve

Thanks Steve. You really summed up my thoughts well. There are way too many variables involved to think a single review will help you find that perfect setup. I'm behind on the poly curve anyways, so anything I review in this thread you'll be able to compare in quite a few other threads. With the multifilament strings, in some cases there were no other reviews anywhere so my goal was to put something out there sooner rather than later to help the masses.

Chace 03-26-2011 05:42 PM

Hey Mikeler, I enjoyed your thread on multis and look forward to your review of polys Thanks for all your time and info.

NLBwell 03-26-2011 06:44 PM

Hooray for the Mikeler's polys thread!

Power Player 03-26-2011 07:11 PM

Mikeler, I am staring at some Solinco Outlast that I think you may need to try. It is inexpensive, soft, and apparently has incredible playability.

Also I would suggest Mosquito Bite by Weiscannon, since it is a real thin string in the lines of Big Ace. I am about to string up a full bed at 50#s myself and I will let you know how it hits.

Other string I am trying out again is Hyperion, this time the thinner gauge..all softer polys listed here..but I am going full poly and not hybriding.

Doubles 03-26-2011 07:14 PM

Power Player, have you used outlast? It's on my list of strings to try...

bad_call 03-26-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 5522163)
Torres,

I'm sorry my experiences did not match yours exactly. You are right and I am wrong. I apologize to the thousands or maybe millions I've duped into buying awful strings. I'll confess at church tomorrow for my sins.

mikeler - my attorney doesn't think i have much of a case and suggests settling out of court for some DF 90. :) i tend to agree.

BigT 03-26-2011 09:07 PM

What did you use 18 months ago?

mctennis 03-26-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 5522227)
Hey Mikeler,

Steve

Excellent statement and I ditto your remarks Steve.