Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nike Air Court Ballistec 3.3 -- ouch on the side of my feet (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=373989)

AlwaysImproving 03-27-2011 02:44 PM

Nike Air Court Ballistec 3.3 -- ouch on the side of my feet

Well I've been with the Ballistec's for about a week, breaking them in on a treadmill.

Today was the first time for tennis. Was out there for about 2.5 hours. Near the end the side of my left foot started hurting--so much that it affected my gait. Not sure what the problem is--they could be 1/2-size too high, but then I'd expect my right foot to also have the same problem. I bought them because they were very stable and I have a low arch (Barricade 6.0s were too high), but other than that, I have normal wear patterns on all my shoes.

Anybody else have the same problem--pain on the side of the foot? Trying to figure out if I should get another shoe or if this is just a break-in period.

jkang909 03-27-2011 07:30 PM

i had that with a b6... i think its because the rubbing of the shoe against the bone that kind of sticks out on the side of your foot

try wearing 2 socks... it provides better cushioning

courtking 03-27-2011 08:11 PM

I had the same problems.. after 3 tried.. my feed hurt so bad that I had to return back to nike.. very stable shoes but terrible fit.. it's killing my front feet badly..

AlwaysImproving 03-27-2011 08:57 PM

nike ballistecs

My theory is that the shoe may be just a tad too narrow. I don't have wide feet--about 4 inches across for a 10.5, right in the standard range--but if they cut in a bit on that with the tongueless design, that could cause problems.

I think the width problem would be worse with two pairs of socks.

zasr4325 03-27-2011 09:44 PM

Is it like a squeezing feeling you're getting? A number of people (me included) had that problem with the 2.3's, and some have said they had similar problems with the new 3.3's. For me, it felt as if the shoes were narrow in the midfoot, with the pain worst on the outside, just like yours. However, this was something I felt in basically all my shoes - it was worst in the Vapor VI's, and as those are very narrow, I assume it is a width issue. I do have very wide feet, and unless I laced my 2.3's very loose they would hurt like crazy. As in I could hardly walk afterwards the pain was so bad. Now I only wear the Lunar vapors and the B2K10's, as they seem to be the widest fitting of the Nikes, as the Barricades felt narrow as well. I do want to try the 3.3's, as the durability on 2K10's and Vapors is MonoFed bad, but don't want to waste the money if the fit is narrow.

AlwaysImproving 03-27-2011 10:19 PM

ballistec

I fit fine in Barricade IIs. For some reason these are getting me. I think what happens is either the width of the shoe as designed is slightly narrower than medium, or when you string the shoe, the tongueless design makes the entire shoe more narrow. Mind you, I am right in the mid-range of width--10.5 inches length, 4 inches width--so my feet should fit nicely in a medium-width shoe.

There's a spot right on the side of my left foot, medial, that is very sore. Did not happen with the right foot....

I looked at the Lunar Vapors and the 2ks. Maybe will check those out.
I want these to work though because I don't have an infinite budget on shoes.

zasr4325 03-27-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysImproving (Post 5525228)
I fit fine in Barricade IIs. For some reason these are getting me. I think what happens is either the width of the shoe as designed is slightly narrower than medium, or when you string the shoe, the tongueless design makes the entire shoe more narrow. Mind you, I am right in the mid-range of width--10.5 inches length, 4 inches width--so my feet should fit nicely in a medium-width shoe.

There's a spot right on the side of my left foot, medial, that is very sore. Did not happen with the right foot....

I looked at the Lunar Vapors and the 2ks. Maybe will check those out.
I want these to work though because I don't have an infinite budget on shoes.

Yeah, the main reason I haven't tried the 3.3s yet is because I'm waiting for the price to come down. You can get the 2K10s at really good prices now, which is why I wasn't so concerned with durability, and the same with the Vapors. I used to notice that one foot would be worse than the other in terms of pain, but both would still be hurting. Although I suspect it was probably because one shoe was laced tighter than the other.

fantasticfed 03-28-2011 01:07 AM

I have the same prolem in my LV8 after i slide on hardcourts. really hurts

XFactorer 03-28-2011 10:19 PM

It might be hot tightly you're tying the laces. The shoelace eyelets are straps that wrap around the foot. If you cinch the laces as tightly as humanly possible, your feet will feel it.

I just pull all the slack out of the laces and that's as tight as I need it. I cinch the top, very last hole and that's enough for me.

zasr4325 03-28-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFactorer (Post 5528327)
It might be hot tightly you're tying the laces. The shoelace eyelets are straps that wrap around the foot. If you cinch the laces as tightly as humanly possible, your feet will feel it.

I just pull all the slack out of the laces and that's as tight as I need it. I cinch the top, very last hole and that's enough for me.

Thats exactly how I do it now as well. On the 2.3's you could actually feel the straps pulling in as you tightened the shoes, so now I just buy a snug fitting shoe and that allows me to lace them loosely but still get a good fit. But I still can't wear the Vapor VI's. Those were like walking on nails