Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What's up with Schuettler? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3746)

Vanja Ljubibratic 04-23-2004 11:44 AM

What's up with Schuettler?

How was he able to just turn it on in Monte Carlo having such a bad year so far? I know he has the ability to be a human shield who can also hit a lot of winners too, but how is he winning so many matches? I'm unfortunately one of the many that doesn't have the tennis channel. I haven't seen Schuettler play all year. Is he just very consistent but also agressive when he has to? I never really liked him, but always cheered for him whenever he had to play someone I didn't like. I hope Moya takes him out though. I'd love to see Moya play Safin in the finals with the better player coming out on top.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive 04-23-2004 06:59 PM

I definately agree with wanting Moya to win it. Moya vs. Safin would be awesome, Moya would win. If Moya played Coria, he would probably lose, although I still believe he could do it. Moya will take out Schuettler. Schuettler is really consistent, but has he really taken out a recognized clay courter yet? I don't think he has, so I think Moya can take him and win the tourney.

Schuettler's been INSANELY consistent when I've watched him, and he hits pretty hard consistently off both wings. Not winner hard, but just a lot of pace. He also has a very surprising backhand dropper that always seems to come out a winner, regardless of how well he really hits it.

AndyC 04-24-2004 12:22 AM

Well don't forget that Schuettler took out Guga in the first round. You could argue Guga didn't really try that hard to win it but Schuettler was suffering out there with the after effects of some illness (he had the doctor out twice during his match).

I think that match may well be the catalyst for his progress in this tournament. People say Coria has the most determination of any pro today.. well Schuettler must surely not be far behind. He never quits on himself and of course he has consistent ground strokes on both wings plus he's very fit and will run down everything. He may not have the most talent on tour but he does the simple things on a tennis court better than most pros there do it.. a prime example of someone whose playing the cards life dealt him rather than the cards he thinks he should have been dealt.

PhatAbbott 04-24-2004 03:05 AM

I think you that sums him up perfectly. Hes a great competator with alot of toughness. Hes also quite a good volleyer too.

I dont see him beating Moya but it would be great for his confidence if he did.

Its also great to see Moya doing well, hes one of my fave players to watch. That forehands great... if only he would stop missing easy shots for no reason.

Feņa14 04-24-2004 03:19 AM

Schuettler was in a league of his own against Henman yesterday, if he plays like that again then I think him making Moya play the extra ball will result in Moya missing too many easy shots, I like both players and am going for Schuettler for this one!

devila 04-24-2004 05:22 AM

The only way he could win is if the opponent's terrible, tired, injured, choking or distracted by Shuttler's boring game and better fitness.
His pretending to take a picture of the court and lack of sincere handshakes are pathetic. Of course, his female/gay fans will come to say how cute he is! lmao :x :wink: