Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Developing consistent follow through on forehands. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=375727)

royalfan5 04-08-2011 03:28 PM

Developing consistent follow through on forehands.
 
For the most part, my struggle to maintain a consistent follow through on my forehand is keeping me from developing it as a usable weapon. What is there to do to help develop the necessary consistence as far drills and what not?

Fuji 04-08-2011 03:32 PM

What do you mean a more consistent follow through? Like as in the same follow through each shot? Are you using the same grip all the time? So many variables! I'm sure someone will be able to help you more, but I don't know too much about an odd follow through!

-Fuji

dozu 04-08-2011 03:32 PM

the goal should be consistent impact.... follow thru doesnt matter.

royalfan5 04-08-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 5559614)
What do you mean a more consistent follow through? Like as in the same follow through each shot? Are you using the same grip all the time? So many variables! I'm sure someone will be able to help you more, but I don't know too much about an odd follow through!

-Fuji

As in often times I just stop after making contact.

Fuji 04-08-2011 03:50 PM

Oh weird. Well the first thing that I would question is your technique, if you are using the full body kinetic chain, when you whip through the ball, you should not be stopping after a shot. The only way I even come close to decelerating at a shot is if I completely arm it to death. It hurts my shoulder to stop. Do you use full body rotation when you hit???

-Fuji

Jake Speed 04-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royalfan5 (Post 5559606)
For the most part, my struggle to maintain a consistent follow through on my forehand is keeping me from developing it as a usable weapon. What is there to do to help develop the necessary consistence as far drills and what not?

One ball is all you need.

Pick any end of the net, close to the pole.

From about 4 or 5 feet back, take your forehand stance then simply "drop and hit" a ball into the net.

Repeat this forever!

It's an exercise that can be used to grove a forehand, backhand, AND an opportunity to practice grips.

The workout is great also.

Here's the thing, once mastered, you can hit any ground stroke you want, repeatedly, because the ball always comes back, sets up nicely, AND you can "LET LOOSE." Develope that lacking follow through!

Eventually you'll be able to tell, from where the ball hits the net, if your strokes are good.

Better than hitting against a wall and you can do three times the work in the same amount of time.

Yes, all my students received a lesson or two, learning this!

Try it, you will not be disappointed.

It's good training!

JS #1

royalfan5 04-08-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 5559647)
Oh weird. Well the first thing that I would question is your technique, if you are using the full body kinetic chain, when you whip through the ball, you should not be stopping after a shot. The only way I even come close to decelerating at a shot is if I completely arm it to death. It hurts my shoulder to stop. Do you use full body rotation when you hit???

-Fuji

Not always, is part of the problem.

dozu 04-08-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Speed (Post 5559649)
Try it, you will not be disappointed.

It's good training!

JS #1


HOG WASH ALERT!

Fuji 04-08-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royalfan5 (Post 5559656)
Not always, is part of the problem.

Hmm, that could be a pretty big part of it then. If your arming the ball, it could prevent you from having a full and proper follow through.

-Fuji

Jake Speed 04-08-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5559666)
HOG WASH ALERT!

Bozo,

You're a big time teaching Pro, and you never taught this?

Ever see it?

Been around since I was 10 years old.

Mastered!

You can hit repeated forehands, closed or open, backhands also.

You can rip and let loose, push up and leave the ground also, just like hitting playing drives.

Hey, you need no one to do this and only one ball.

JS #1

dozu 04-08-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Speed (Post 5559691)
Bozo,

You're a big time teaching Pro, and you never taught this?

Ever see it?

Been around since I was 10 years old.

Mastered!

You can hit repeated forehands, closed or open, backhands also.

You can rip and let loose, push up and leave the ground also, just like hitting playing drives.

Hey, you need no one to do this and only one ball.

JS #1

I am not a teaching pro.

OP's problem cannot be solved by repetition. need to get rid of flaws first.

i_heart_ib 04-08-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Speed (Post 5559649)
One ball is all you need.

Pick any end of the net, close to the pole.

From about 4 or 5 feet back, take your forehand stance then simply "drop and hit" a ball into the net.

Repeat this forever!

It's an exercise that can be used to grove a forehand, backhand, AND an opportunity to practice grips.

The workout is great also.

Here's the thing, once mastered, you can hit any ground stroke you want, repeatedly, because the ball always comes back, sets up nicely, AND you can "LET LOOSE." Develope that lacking follow through!

Eventually you'll be able to tell, from where the ball hits the net, if your strokes are good.

Better than hitting against a wall and you can do three times the work in the same amount of time.

Yes, all my students received a lesson or two, learning this!

Try it, you will not be disappointed.

It's good training!

JS #1

Why would you practice hitting the ball into the net when in tennis, you're trying to consistently get the ball OVER the net.

Am i missing something here?

Jake Speed 04-08-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_heart_ib (Post 5559702)
Why would you practice hitting the ball into the net when in tennis, you're trying to consistently get the ball OVER the net.

Am i missing something here?

Yes you are.

Read my reply again.

JS #1

Jake Speed 04-08-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozu (Post 5559699)
I am not a teaching pro.

OP's problem cannot be solved by repetition. need to get rid of flaws first.

OK, thought you were?

I apologize for that mistake.

We could become buddies here!

You got anything to apologize for?

Quote:

need to get rid of flaws first.
Yes, you are correct, I understand what you are saying, but he didn't mention issues with his strokes, just the follow through?

Letting loose is letting loose, fix the stuff after.

JS #1

dozu 04-08-2011 04:41 PM

can still become buddies if you post a video.

OP's follow thru is a tell take sign of flaw, hence go straight to the root cause.

mightyrick 04-08-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royalfan5 (Post 5559606)
For the most part, my struggle to maintain a consistent follow through on my forehand is keeping me from developing it as a usable weapon. What is there to do to help develop the necessary consistence as far drills and what not?

I would recommend doing wall work. Go find a wall somewhere. Put a square of masking tape up on the wall. Maybe 2 feet by 2 feet. Then just stand back and start trying to rally to that spot on the wall.

Start close to the wall at first. When you can do 20 in a row, then take a step back. Do the same thing. Over and over again until you can do it from a decent distance.

Before I ever played a match with anyone, I did this drill for probably a month. I got very good at hitting that spot. Or at least right around it.

I've went back to wall drills again since I've changed from a 118" racquet to a 95" racquet. I need to re-discover my swing groove again.

EdgeTennis 04-08-2011 05:03 PM

Loosen your grip and try to feel your body stopping your arm. Start off a slow ball (you can drop it and hit it if you want) but like they said you have to repeat this over and over again until the muscle memory is stronger than your old muscle memory.

LeeD 04-08-2011 06:00 PM

Wrap your followthru all the way around to the other shoulder every time.

Limpinhitter 04-08-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royalfan5 (Post 5559606)
For the most part, my struggle to maintain a consistent follow through on my forehand is keeping me from developing it as a usable weapon. What is there to do to help develop the necessary consistence as far drills and what not?

Try this:

"In the preparation, look over the front shoulder, and in the finish, look over the other shoulder."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kPaH_IaazY

Cindysphinx 04-08-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Speed (Post 5559649)
One ball is all you need.

Pick any end of the net, close to the pole.

From about 4 or 5 feet back, take your forehand stance then simply "drop and hit" a ball into the net.

Repeat this forever!

It's an exercise that can be used to grove a forehand, backhand, AND an opportunity to practice grips.

The workout is great also.

Here's the thing, once mastered, you can hit any ground stroke you want, repeatedly, because the ball always comes back, sets up nicely, AND you can "LET LOOSE." Develope that lacking follow through!

Eventually you'll be able to tell, from where the ball hits the net, if your strokes are good.

Better than hitting against a wall and you can do three times the work in the same amount of time.

Yes, all my students received a lesson or two, learning this!

Try it, you will not be disappointed.

It's good training!

JS #1

Wouldn't it be better to get a hopper full of balls and drop-hit them over the net?

In this way, you can observe what different adjustments (grip, contact point, swing path) do to the spin and trajectory of the ball. If you toss the ball a bit, you can also work on footwork.

It would suck to have one ball that you are hitting into the net repeatedly. Any time you miss the net you must do the Walk Of Shame all the way to the other side to retrieve it.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse