Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   April 12 rankings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=376220)

Clemson_tennis 04-12-2011 11:04 AM

April 12 rankings

any thoughts on the new rankings?

How the hell is UNC Wilmington 44? Idaho 46?

Ohio State jumped USC for #2

Georgia Tech into the top 16

tournament bubble watch:

40 Cal Poly
41 Florida State
42 Rice
43 South Florida
44 UNCW
45 VCU
46 Idaho

mikej 04-12-2011 11:28 AM

1 80.29 University of Virginia 1
2 75.27 Ohio State University 3
3 73.20 University of Southern California 2
4 66.57 University of Tennessee 4
5 60.80 University of Georgia 7
6 60.29 Texas A&M University 5
7 59.06 Baylor University 13
8 58.21 Stanford University 9
9 57.51 Pepperdine 6
10 56.97 Duke University 11
11 55.49 University of Texas 8
12 54.36 California 10
13 51.77 University of Kentucky 12
14 49.67 UCLA 14
15 47.48 Georgia Tech 18
16 45.62 University of Florida 16
17 45.12 University of Illinois 15
18 40.63 Auburn University 21
19 40.13 North Carolina 17
20 39.83 University of Washington 22

georgia at #5 is just silly (now i've gone a full 180 from earlier in the season after indoors when i was saying they weren't getting the credit they deserved)...they lost to georgia tech, so they aren't even in my top 3 in the ACC if they played in that conference...not hard to figure out why they're so high though - SEC is full of good but not great teams (Tenn excluded) so they keep getting quality wins every time out, even if many of their wins (4-3 over Louisville, 4-3 over Miss St and Ole Miss, etc.) indicate weakness more than strength in my book

don't get me wrong, they're a very good team, just a team that will be lucky to survive to the quarters in NCAAs if you ask me

per today's rankings, Duke and Stanford would meet for the right to play UVA...which would be awesome (Pepperdine not playing NCAAs for those that aren't aware of that, NCAA violations)

mikej 04-12-2011 11:37 AM

on the women's side, UF jumps undefeated Stanford again for whatever that is worth (not much)

pretty much because UF has two wins against #3 Duke i would imagine, while Stanford hasn't played them

mackimac 04-12-2011 01:06 PM

Clemson Tennis,

UNC Wilmington is a very strong team. I was looking at their schedule and they beat #43 South Florida and #49 Cornell Easily dropping only one point. They are a mid major program on the beach with two American Players in their top 3. That is pretty uncommon these days for a school that good. They have been in the top 50 the last couple of years anyway.

Idaho is damn good too go look at their record they have beaten Boise, Hawaii, and some other very good teams. Just because they are not houshold names they can still play.

I have both of these teams beating Clemson at the moment.

The Wreck 04-12-2011 02:57 PM

I think Georgia at 5 is deserved. (I'm biased.) Those 4-3 wins were against tough teams. They'd already beaten Louisville once, and everyone knows it's harder to beat a good team twice. Ole Miss beat Tennessee this year, so a 4-3 against them isn't bad. And they handled Florida as well. I mean, they are the SEC champions...top 5-7 seems about right. And they'll probably jump up to 4 if the beat UT on Saturday.

mikej 04-12-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wreck (Post 5568679)
I think Georgia at 5 is deserved. (I'm biased.) Those 4-3 wins were against tough teams. They'd already beaten Louisville once, and everyone knows it's harder to beat a good team twice. Ole Miss beat Tennessee this year, so a 4-3 against them isn't bad. And they handled Florida as well. I mean, they are the SEC champions...top 5-7 seems about right. And they'll probably jump up to 4 if the beat UT on Saturday.

fair enough, it's hard to hate on a team that has won so many matches in a row, but i just think the scheduling has worked out nicely for them with lots of good opponents but very few great ones to hand them costly losses in the ranking points

Ole Miss and Louisville are ranked 30 and 32, so I don't consider them tough at all, but a matter of opinion...I don't see other top 5 teams struggling with teams of this caliber

and I see UGA is claiming they are SEC champions on their site...how is that exactly? UT has one loss, they have zero, and they play in a few days...seems to me if UT wins (as I expect they will, but who knows) then UGA has a share of the title at best, and in just about any tie-break format I can imagine UT would be the real champions

creative marketing by UGA

mikej 04-12-2011 03:28 PM

after looking at Ole Miss's results, I guess I can't say they aren't tough

inconsistent for sure, but they've had some scattered impressive results, so I take that back

Fedace 04-12-2011 03:33 PM

Cal should be ranked #9 not Baylor.

The Wreck 04-12-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 5568733)
fair enough, it's hard to hate on a team that has won so many matches in a row, but i just think the scheduling has worked out nicely for them with lots of good opponents but very few great ones to hand them costly losses in the ranking points

Ole Miss and Louisville are ranked 30 and 32, so I don't consider them tough at all, but a matter of opinion...I don't see other top 5 teams struggling with teams of this caliber

and I see UGA is claiming they are SEC champions on their site...how is that exactly? UT has one loss, they have zero, and they play in a few days...seems to me if UT wins (as I expect they will, but who knows) then UGA has a share of the title at best, and in just about any tie-break format I can imagine UT would be the real champions

creative marketing by UGA

Not sure how it works, but that is the way it falls. Win or lose, they're SEC champs or partial SEC champs. It's above me as to how that tiebreaker works.

Clemson_tennis 04-12-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mackimac (Post 5568415)
Clemson Tennis,

UNC Wilmington is a very strong team. I was looking at their schedule and they beat #43 South Florida and #49 Cornell Easily dropping only one point. They are a mid major program on the beach with two American Players in their top 3. That is pretty uncommon these days for a school that good. They have been in the top 50 the last couple of years anyway.

Idaho is damn good too go look at their record they have beaten Boise, Hawaii, and some other very good teams. Just because they are not houshold names they can still play.

I have both of these teams beating Clemson at the moment.

I don't think so. Cornell is another overranked team. UNc Wilmington got beat by NC State 7-0. Clemson would beat Wilmington and Idaho. We do not have any bas losses but no good wins either

mikej 04-12-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wreck (Post 5568880)
Not sure how it works, but that is the way it falls. Win or lose, they're SEC champs or partial SEC champs. It's above me as to how that tiebreaker works.

Yeah SEC lists both champs on its website for years with a tie, so it appears the tie-break would only come into play for conf. tourney seeding. I'm sure it would be either H2H or national ranking.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how UGA does in only its 4th match this year vs a current top-10 team...1-2 so far with best win being #8 Stanford.

Clemson_tennis 04-12-2011 04:56 PM

I would say UGA has a shot but Tennessee seemed to veer back on track with their destruction of Florida (although UF always gets killed by UT, bad matchup)

mikej 04-12-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 5568958)
I would say UGA has a shot but Tennessee seemed to veer back on track with their destruction of Florida (although UF always gets killed by UT, bad matchup)

I'd bet just about everything I have on Tenn. - it seems like their mid-season slump is very much behind them, and yeah that UF match was damn impressive. If UGA wins (or even takes it to the wire w/ a deciding match) my talk of them being overrated at present will be over.

mikej 04-12-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 5568932)
We do not have any bad losses but no good wins either

2-5 vs UMD is a bit ugly

mackimac 04-12-2011 05:47 PM

I don't think so. Cornell is another overranked team. UNc Wilmington got beat by NC State 7-0. Clemson would beat Wilmington and Idaho. We do not have any bas losses but no good wins either

Clemson's best win is NC State, which is ok but besides that who have they beat. I am guessing UNCW has only lost indoor matches. I gurantee they would beat Clemson. Difazio at 2 is horrible and UNCW #2 player beat Alverez 6-2 6-1 in the only clemson UNCW meeting

jaggy 04-13-2011 06:46 AM

Where do you need to be to get seeding assistance in the NCAA's? Top 16?

Clemson_tennis 04-13-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 5570445)
Where do you need to be to get seeding assistance in the NCAA's? Top 16?

well the top 16 are seeded. Then the rest go by. (17-32) (33-48) and (49-64). And since the people who make the tournament are such clowns it is likely that the 17 will match up with the 1 and 32 with the 16.

woodrow1029 04-13-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 5568154)
on the women's side, UF jumps undefeated Stanford again for whatever that is worth (not much)

pretty much because UF has two wins against #3 Duke i would imagine, while Stanford hasn't played them

Which is odd considering Stanford has beaten UF this year.

DownTheLine 04-13-2011 08:51 AM

I think 8 is a good number for Stanford for the whole season. If it was ranking from their last 6 matches I would say 5.

mikej 04-13-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTheLine (Post 5570872)
I think 8 is a good number for Stanford for the whole season. If it was ranking from their last 6 matches I would say 5.

lol, they didn't play anyone in the top 12 in their last 6 matches, and only 2 of those 6 were against top 25 teams

just like indoors (or usc and baylor in the regular season), stanford is going to get tossed in the dumpster again once they play somebody legit in NCAAs

edit: btw, I'm sure Stanford will look like a great team against their next two opponents as well - #52 Boise, #70 San Francisco - tough scheduling out there in Palo Alto, they should be well prepared for NCAAs