Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My Pro Used The Contraption On Me (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=377493)

Cindysphinx 04-22-2011 03:43 PM

My Pro Used The Contraption On Me

I had a lesson this morning. When I arrived, my pro left the court and went out to his car. When he returned, he was carrying The Contraption.

It was a yellow, metal thing sitting on a fixed triangular base. It reached upward, and it had a tennis ball mounted and suspended about three feet over the ground. The tennis ball was on a rubberized appendage so that if you hit the tennis ball the arm would bend forward and then return to its upright position. The tennis ball rotated freely.

Anyway, pro explained that the contraption was going to help me improve my topspin. He demonstrated his FH, putting the tennis ball in his contact point and hitting/brushing up on it. The idea was to get a lot of brushing and little forward movement. If you drove through the ball, it would whip violently forward on its rubberized appendage, and that is bad. He was trying to get more of a windshield wiper motion out of me.

He had me hit multiple reps, with him watching closely and making little adjustments until everything was perfect. Then I hit real balls.

Dang.

I have been struggling with controlling topspin and producing a ton of it when I need it most -- short angles. I just couldn't get the hang of whatever needs to be done to get sick topspin and really shape the ball trajectory at will, especially when close to the net.

After a few minutes with The Contraption, I was doing it. From the baseline off of live balls, I could rip short angles that I didn't think possible.

We then repeated the whole drill on the BH side. This was a little less successful, but there was measurable improvement.

Has anyone ever used The Contraption as a student or as a teacher? 'Cause I don't know what he paid for it, but that thing is worth the money!

larry10s 04-22-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5593994)
I had a lesson this morning. When I arrived, my pro left the court and went out to his car. When he returned, he was carrying The Contraption.

It was a yellow, metal thing sitting on a fixed triangular base. It reached upward, and it had a tennis ball mounted and suspended about three feet over the ground. The tennis ball was on a rubberized appendage so that if you hit the tennis ball the arm would bend forward and then return to its upright position. The tennis ball rotated freely.

Anyway, pro explained that the contraption was going to help me improve my topspin. He demonstrated his FH, putting the tennis ball in his contact point and hitting/brushing up on it. The idea was to get a lot of brushing and little forward movement. If you drove through the ball, it would whip violently forward on its rubberized appendage, and that is bad. He was trying to get more of a windshield wiper motion out of me.

He had me hit multiple reps, with him watching closely and making little adjustments until everything was perfect. Then I hit real balls.

Dang.

I have been struggling with controlling topspin and producing a ton of it when I need it most -- short angles. I just couldn't get the hang of whatever needs to be done to get sick topspin and really shape the ball trajectory at will, especially when close to the net.

After a few minutes with The Contraption, I was doing it. From the baseline off of live balls, I could rip short angles that I didn't think possible.

We then repeated the whole drill on the BH side. This was a little less successful, but there was measurable improvement.

Has anyone ever used The Contraption as a student or as a teacher? 'Cause I don't know what he paid for it, but that thing is worth the money!

maybe you could tell us its real name and link??? that would be much more informative:)

Timbo's hopeless slice 04-22-2011 05:11 PM

Best. Thread. Title. Ever.

Cindysphinx 04-22-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry10s (Post 5594069)
maybe you could tell us its real name and link??? that would be much more informative:)

I googled, but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure the best place to look.

Xizel 04-22-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 5594104)
Best. Thread. Title. Ever.

I immediately thought of "contraception" :P.

ondray 04-22-2011 05:32 PM

LOL!

Title sounds so morally wrong on first glance.

Sintherius 04-22-2011 05:43 PM

It's called the iCoach. Or eye coach. One of those two. :P

Cindysphinx 04-22-2011 05:44 PM

ok, here's a start on explaining what it looked like:

Now, this thing here isn't nearly as good. The base has to be filled with sand or water -- the last things you want on a tennis court. The Contraption, in contrast, is stable because of its wide base.

This thing has a foam ball attached. The Contraption had a regular tennis ball with a steel dowel running through it, so it spun freely and had the feel of a regular tennis ball. I assume the tennis ball can be swapped out when it gets old.

I'll keep looking, but I doubt I can find a picture of it. He said he bought it in Florida.

maverick66 04-22-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondray (Post 5594135)
LOL!

Title sounds so morally wrong on first glance.

Man you guys are dirty around here. Just because a womans pro uses contraptions on her doesnt mean its in a dirty manner. This is TW not a sex room. :)

And this amazing thing helped you hit topspin but you wont tell people the name of it? Thats like saying you discovered how to cure cancer but your not telling anyone.

Cindysphinx 04-22-2011 05:58 PM

What I should do is copy the design and sell it myself. :)

It even had little rubber covers on the parts that would touch the ground, so as not to leave scratches. How thoughtful!

OK, I will text my pro and ask him what it is called. He is going to think I am crazy.

Sintherius 04-22-2011 05:59 PM

I already told you what it was called.

IT IS CALLED THE EYE COACH. JEEZ.

ondray 04-22-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick66 (Post 5594154)
Man you guys are dirty around here. Just because a womans pro uses contraptions on her doesnt mean its in a dirty manner. This is TW not a sex room. :)

And this amazing thing helped you hit topspin but you wont tell people the name of it? Thats like saying you discovered how to cure cancer but your not telling anyone.

Apologies. I honestly meant it sounded like a iron maiden-ish device to punish players.

maverick66 04-22-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondray (Post 5594171)
Apologies. I honestly meant it sounded like a iron maiden-ish device to punish players.

Im just giving you a hard time. I agree the title sounds a little funny.

Cindysphinx 04-22-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sintherius (Post 5594167)
I already told you what it was called.

IT IS CALLED THE EYE COACH. JEEZ.

When I google icoach or eye coach, I get nothing useful. Maybe you can try? Jeez.

Sintherius 04-22-2011 06:07 PM

www.theeyecoach.com

WinNCash 04-22-2011 06:09 PM

http://www.theeyecoach.com

LeeD 04-22-2011 06:11 PM

Maybe I got the same thing....
Last week, ordered and this week received a yellow tripod thingy, long slender main body, H shaped RoboCop11 looking arms, tilt adjustment, wheel raising cable capacity, black rubber protectors for me and the floor, locking wheels, 11' max height capabilities, to lift drywall to the ceiling.

Sintherius 04-22-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinNCash (Post 5594185)

YES. FINALLY SOMEBODY UNDERSTOOD AND LISTENED!!!!

Cindysphinx 04-22-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sintherius (Post 5594180)

OK, this looks closer, although I'm not sure. The tennis ball holding bit looks right, in that I think it was angled toward me.

It's weird to see the people taking huge cuts at it. We were using it in a very controlled fashion.

Sintherius 04-22-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5594200)
OK, this looks closer, although I'm not sure. The tennis ball holding bit looks right, in that I think it was angled toward me.

It's weird to see the people taking huge cuts at it. We were using it in a very controlled fashion.

Trust me it's the same thing. My tennis pro showed it off last summer and said it would help us deploy topspin and also concentrate on the ball more. Said it was called the eye coach. His was also yellow and black, the exact way you described it.