Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Who are the best Freshman coming in next year? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=377820)

Vicious Vik 04-25-2011 01:18 PM

Who are the best Freshman coming in next year?

What do you think?

Giron is the best by a large margain. He will be an instant hit in the NCAA and will be a top 15 player next season in the ITA rankings.

Vinsant is the next best, Frantagelo is ovverated and has already peaked.

SoCal10s 04-25-2011 02:03 PM

Mitchell Frank,Efferding,Pasha,and Withrow .. are my favorites ,, they are right up there with Giron ... all still have a lot of potential left..also Dennis M. @ UCLA if he can keep injury free..

Automator 04-25-2011 02:18 PM

Jack Sock is generally considered the #1 American recruit, but he's undecided on if he'll play in college. I think if any incoming player is going to shoot to the top of the rankings, it'll be him. Giron has an impressive resume, it'll be interesting to see how he fares. Don't be deluded by some of the stuff you hear on other message boards, college tennis is a step up from juniors, not a step sideways.

Vinsant and Fratangelo are classified as juniors. They've got another year before making the college decision.

Vicious Vik 04-25-2011 02:23 PM

Sock will be a Longhorn if he plays college tennis. Join him with Vinsant and watch out country

SoCal10s 04-25-2011 02:27 PM

yes you guys know it.. I think Sock will try college tennis for a year then go pro if he dominates ,which I think he will not.. too many upperclassmen to deal with.. none will roll over and play dead..

Tar Heel Tennis 04-25-2011 04:59 PM

where are these guys committed to playing (if they have)?

Clemson_tennis 04-25-2011 05:32 PM

Giron - UCLA
Efferding - Texas A&M
Frank - UVA
Pasha - UGA
Withrow - Texas A&M

and I'll add Gonzales Austin who is headed to Vanderbilt

JTathlete 04-25-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 5599644)
Giron - UCLA
Efferding - Texas A&M
Frank - UVA
Pasha - UGA
Withrow - Texas A&M

and I'll add Gonzales Austin who is headed to Vanderbilt

agreed.. gonzales austin should be added to the list.. look out for vanderbilty and south carolina for taking huge strides in the rankings..

Automator 04-25-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Vik (Post 5599294)
Sock will be a Longhorn if he plays college tennis. Join him with Vinsant and watch out country

Sock's last quote on the matter was he was considering Texas, Nebraska (where his brother plays) and Virginia. My guess is there will be announcement about whether he's going to play in college late in the Fall semester. He has stated he'll only play one spring semester, but as we found, sometimes the hot shot juniors find the sledding a little tough in college and hang around longer.

JLyon 04-25-2011 06:27 PM

most of these kids need to look at Devin Britton got some bad advice after winning NCAA's and went pro. He has not done much in the last year. He would have been better served staying another year.

Clemson_tennis 04-25-2011 06:50 PM

yeah Britton made a bad decision. He kinda had a fluke run to win the NCAA's that year. He was not a top player throughout the year, he played at #2 or 3 for Ole Miss and didn't win every match and was ofetn pushed to 3 sets. He also lost to some not so great players like TCU's #2 player.

Fedace 04-25-2011 06:55 PM

what about Steinman for Stanford ?

Automator 04-25-2011 07:05 PM

Britton apparently had a lot of money thrown his way to go pro. The USTA's rule of thumb is if someone is willing to put $250,000 in an account in your name only - go pro. If not, go to school. Hopefully, Britton did well enough for himself. Sometimes the deal is too good to pass up.

SoCal10s 04-25-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTathlete (Post 5599664)
agreed.. gonzales austin should be added to the list.. look out for vanderbilty and south carolina for taking huge strides in the rankings..

I didn't miss G.Austin ,same as Nick Chappell .. they play that grinding game and they're too husky to be like Nadal .. I can't see them really dominating as freshman .. but then again,I could be wrong.. I always love lefties ..

Jonny S&V 04-25-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedace (Post 5599837)
what about Steinman for Stanford ?

Not enough international experience at this point honestly, although it is a semi-weak argument. I've seen him play a few times, and he doesn't really seem like he has the game to hit the next few levels, but I've been proven wrong many times before, so maybe I am again.

Clemson_tennis 04-26-2011 10:23 AM

Giron reminds me of Guillermo Gomez

Fedace 04-26-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny S&V (Post 5600187)
Not enough international experience at this point honestly, although it is a semi-weak argument. I've seen him play a few times, and he doesn't really seem like he has the game to hit the next few levels, but I've been proven wrong many times before, so maybe I am again.

I heard he has 120 + mph serves as his routine serve. that means he can hit 130mph if he continue to improve. That in itself can carry you a long way in college tennis.:)

Jonny S&V 04-26-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedace (Post 5601252)
I heard he has 120 + mph serves as his routine serve. that means he can hit 130mph if he continue to improve. That in itself can carry you a long way in college tennis.:)

He CAN hit that big, but he doesn't regularly (heck, I can hit that big, although you're entitled to believe me or not) from the matches I saw. Besides, there are many players in DI tennis that can also hit 120+ mph serves pretty regularly (your lover Klahn being one of them).

Clemson_tennis 04-26-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny S&V (Post 5601315)
He CAN hit that big, but he doesn't regularly (heck, I can hit that big, although you're entitled to believe me or not) from the matches I saw. Besides, there are many players in DI tennis that can also hit 120+ mph serves pretty regularly (your lover Klahn being one of them).

Yep. It's all about placement,variety and consistency on the serve. This is a big difference in college and pro. College players do not get enough free points on their serve because they are not as good at placement, mixing it around the box and disguising it

Jonny S&V 04-26-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 5601334)
Yep. It's all about placement,variety and consistency on the serve. This is a big difference in college and pro. College players do not get enough free points on their serve because they are not as good at placement, mixing it around the box and disguising it

I would say that disguise is the bigger issue than variety out of those two. That's why I think Steve Johnson's serve is better than Klahn (amongst other comparisons), since he uses arguably the same ball-toss on most-all of his serves.