Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Achilles Heel... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3780)

PHSTennis 04-24-2004 06:47 AM

Achilles Heel...

Im I vulvernable? my shoes die really fast... Im a fast mover, Im 16 weigh about 130 and have played for 2 years I play 6 days a week 2-3 hours a day, sometimes my heel hurts where the achilles are on both foot... when I sat down one day I got up and I could barely walk... I dont want to pull it... think I have it? It hurts when i get bend my ankle foward with my hand... but it doesnt effect my game. Any help? thanks :roll:

Phil 04-24-2004 07:40 AM

Take a breath, there, kid. Suggest resting it; take a week off, and if it still hurts, see a doctor for a real diagnosis. You will not receive a proper diagnosis of your condition just by describing the symptoms on an Internet chatboard.

Bungalo Bill 04-24-2004 07:43 AM

See a doctor, dont ask us.

tylerchadwick 04-24-2004 09:53 PM

hey bud, this sucks. I'm 22 and have had the same problem for since i was 16. I lived in a small town and played football, basketball, track, and golf since I can remember. Since track season from my sophemore year, i've felt the pain. It does hurt and takes away from your leaping ability ican tell you that. I set our school record in the long jump that same year. by the next year's track season, i was jumping about 12-18 inches shorter. all from achilles problems. if your very quick like me, that's probably the problem. You run real fast to get to something and have to put lots of pressure and your bones and joints to get stopped. the problem with resting, is that it takes a long time to recoup, just to have it act up again. thats a long time not to play, and if you love to play like it sounds like you do,then theres another problem.

if you go to the doctor, post back and tell me what they say.

good luck.

Roforot 04-25-2004 04:55 PM

2 suggestions:
first is as suggested above, to see a physician, preferably someone who deals w/ athletes.

second, a great website is www.heelspurs.com
it has a lot of info so you can ask intelligent questions when you see the physician.

Hope you feel better!

kevhen 04-27-2004 07:46 AM

See a doctor before it snaps. I have seen a couple of achilles snap in half and then you are in a cast for 6 months. Usually dehydration causes achilles problems. Drink more water and sports drinks. Also wearing the proper shoes and shoe inserts may help alleviate the problem. I add cushions to my shoes and arch supports but I weigh 205 and put alot more pressure on my feet when sprinting.

askani 04-27-2004 08:35 AM

I had a similar problem and went to see an orthopedic and he told me to add heel pads to my shoes. I have used Dr. Scholl gel heal cups and Sorbothane performance heal cups and both solved my problems. I wear them in all my shoes, not just my tennis shoes. I was skeptical at first that these little heel inserts would solve my nagging achilles problem. I have been pain free for over a year now. My suggestion of course is to see a doctor first, but the heal cups were the answer for me.