Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Are Wimbledon racquets labelled 88 sq.in. really almost 95 sq.in.? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=381196)

Roadway 05-23-2011 07:54 AM

Are Wimbledon racquets labelled 88 sq.in. really almost 95 sq.in.?
 
I want to buy a Wimbledon VEM 15 racquet (labelled 88 sq.in.). At first i thought it was midsize, but after reading this post (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ight=Wimbledon), i doubted if it was midplus.

BTW, dose anyone know something about this racquet compared to HM-88?Their shape almost looks identical.

Roadway 12-12-2012 05:14 AM

i finally bought this racquet and find its headsize falls between 90 and 95 square inches. perhaps 93, i guess.

coachrick 12-12-2012 08:09 AM

Like the liberty taken with the Prince '90' and '110' and the early Black Ace having '98' on it, the Wimbledon 88 and 98 made reference to the series rather than an absolute measurement of the head size, I reckon.

We sold a ton of the HM series back in the late '80s. I played the Eclipse Expert 88 in '91 or so...great racket.

I do wonder what the VEM 15 designation refers to. I'm not familiar with that model.

Easy for me to say; but, how about some pics ? :)

Roadway 01-25-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7059313)
Like the liberty taken with the Prince '90' and '110' and the early Black Ace having '98' on it, the Wimbledon 88 and 98 made reference to the series rather than an absolute measurement of the head size, I reckon.

We sold a ton of the HM series back in the late '80s. I played the Eclipse Expert 88 in '91 or so...great racket.

I do wonder what the VEM 15 designation refers to. I'm not familiar with that model.

Easy for me to say; but, how about some pics ? :)

These are the pics. Look so cool to me with trapezium cross-section design.




Roadway 01-25-2013 07:45 AM








Roadway 01-25-2013 07:48 AM




retrowagen 01-26-2013 08:16 AM

Yes, I believe those "88" Wimbledons are actually a bit larger.

And that VEM 15 is from the same mold as the more common white HM88.

Roadway 01-26-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 7167247)
Yes, I believe those "88" Wimbledons are actually a bit larger.

And that VEM 15 is from the same mold as the more common white HM88.

Yes, Retro. The HM88 is 100% high molecule graphite while this one, i think, was added something to make it a little mush.

BTW, the Graphite Edges from you are so perfect. I replaced the grommets and stringed it at 60 lbs with multis. They play very well. Thank you!

eman resu 01-27-2013 03:50 AM

what about the all pro oversize? What's the head size? 107, 110?

struggle 01-29-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman resu (Post 7170774)
what about the all pro oversize? What's the head size? 107, 110?

it was referred to as 98. the all pro was followed by the GK-98, same mold, but it was dark red.

i played the all-pro and they eventually started replacing cracked frames with the GK-98. pretty much the same.

initially the all pro was 80/20 then switched to 90/10. I can't recall the composition of the GK-98.

edit: as i recall.....this was mid-late 80's, my HS tennis years. The All-Pro was a cheap answer to the POG.
I think the All-Pro may have been a tad smaller. They also made a Boron Pro, competing with the Prince Boron
at half the price. Then abit later they started into the midsize market, Flack and Seguso, etc.

These were made by PK, as i recall. They were nice frames at a decent price point.

retrowagen 01-29-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadway (Post 7169033)
Yes, Retro. ...BTW, the Graphite Edges from you are so perfect. I replaced the grommets and stringed it at 60 lbs with multis. They play very well. Thank you!

:) I'm pleased that you are happy with those racquets! Enjoy!!

struggle 01-30-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 7167247)

And that VEM 15 is from the same mold as the more common white HM88.

for sure.


10 char


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse