Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Could I become a Great Tennis Player? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=382203)

DjokovicWinStreak 05-30-2011 12:55 PM

Could I become a Great Tennis Player?

Hi,

When I say great I mean top 100 at least, preferably top 20.

I am 5'6 and around 50 kg and I do push-ups everyday. I am not very strong but I have been practicing swinging my arm at home and I think if I were to hit a ball for real I could hit it pretty hard. My workouts consist of push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, calf raises, tricep and bicep curls, finishing off with a pint of Nesquik or milk if I don't have any Nesquik powder left. I usually eat an egg in the morning with a slice of toast, and my diet I think is okay.

Do you think with my height and weight I could become a very talented tennis player or is there no hope for me?

Please take my enquiry seriously, and best of luck with the rest of the season. :)

DjokovicWinStreak

Failed 05-30-2011 12:58 PM

How old are you

eidolonshinobi 05-30-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjokovicWinStreak (Post 5697897)
Hi,

I am 5'6 and around 50 kg and I do push-ups everyday. I am not very strong but I have been practicing swinging my arm at home and I think if I were to hit a ball for real I could hit it pretty hard. My workouts consist of push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, calf raises, tricep and bicep curls, finishing off with a pint of Nesquik or milk if I don't have any Nesquik powder left. I usually eat an egg in the morning with a slice of toast, and my diet I think is okay.

Do you think with my height and weight I could become a very talented tennis player or is there no hope for me?

Please take my enquiry seriously, and best of luck with the rest of the season. :)

DjokovicWinStreak

That's a bit hard to do..

b-u-t it takes more than working out and dieting to get you up there.

DjokovicWinStreak 05-30-2011 01:00 PM

I am 16. The thing is I am not that good at badminton but I heard the two sports are a bit similar. My teacher said that it looked like I was trying to play tennis.

And about the nesquik thing, I heard that gives you a lot of protein, so why not...?

sureshs 05-30-2011 01:05 PM

Have you considered becoming a ballboy?

Mick 05-30-2011 01:06 PM

imo you can become a great tennis player amongst your friends but not amongst the pros. even donald young is struggling to make it in the atp.

DjokovicWinStreak 05-30-2011 01:06 PM

No, not really... but if that could get me to meet Nadal or Federer I could do that.

sureshs 05-30-2011 01:10 PM

16 is kind of old, buddy. Juniors I know have been playing for 10 years by the time they are 16. Unless you are exceptionally athletic and have proven it in other sports, it is not a realistic dream.

SStrikerR 05-30-2011 01:21 PM

Yeah, no. I'm 16 as well and have been playing for about 3 years already, and despite being a pretty good athlete and being good at tennis, I don't think I'd ever make it. I still lose to players who have been playing longer and whatnot. Especially considering you haven't played before, that's extremely unrealistic.

SourStraws 05-30-2011 01:27 PM

Dude I started playing when I was sixteen and I've beaten a lot of player who've been playing longer than me. Just practice as much as you can and see where it takes you dude. I'm planning to get an atp point by the time I'm done playing.

S.S.

HunterST 05-30-2011 01:28 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think any current pros have started as late as 16. The latest I've heard of a person starting and becoming a journeyman player is Justin Gimmelstob at 12.

There was a kid recently, though, named John Warden who started tennis as a freshmen in high school. By the time he was a senior, he was recruited and accepted by a D1 tennis program.

So, basically, your size isn't your issue, it's your age. So many guys just have a huge head start on you. I think if you dedicated yourself and played pretty much every day for the next few years you could probably become a player at a DII or III college.

jigar 05-30-2011 02:03 PM

Consult Rochus brothers for the game plan and tips.

zagor 05-30-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Hi,

DjokovicWinStreak

no .

Andre D 05-30-2011 02:26 PM

why not d1? if he practices really hard with his whole heart i think he might make it, i think anyone with that ambition and will of power and self sacrifice can do it..

brownsfan456 05-30-2011 02:29 PM

Dude I'm seventeen and in pretty good shape. I've been playing for 9 years or so and have no hopes of going pro. And PLEASE don't compare badminton to tennis 'kay?

But don't let that discourage you! Tennis is the best recreational sport out there! There are tons of clubs and you could always play in USTA leagues or join a league or something. Don't quit playing because you can't go pro.

junbumkim 05-30-2011 02:37 PM

To be honest and straight to the point, it will not happen unless you are already traveling internationally (or at least nationally) and competing against other top juniors, and putting 3~5 hours of practice per day. And, there are literally hundreds and thousands of people like this..Yet, the majority of them will never even crack the door of TOP 100.

This is the reality of competitive junior players at your age. Certainly, there are very few exceptions...Even in these exceptional cases, they have been playing since they were 8, and competing in regional tournaments every weekend or every other weekend.

Badminiton and tennis share one same aspect - it requires an excellent hand-eye coordination. But, they are pretty different sports..So....if you are terrible at making clean hits with shuttle-****, then your hand-eye coordination isn't probably that great.

You don't have to be discouraged just because you can't be a professional player. There are many different ways to play tennis and have fun....Not every life is same, and you can't always be what you want...

dennis10is 05-30-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Hi,

DjokovicWinStreak

If you read the correct posts made by wise posters here you will no doubt be top 5 by your 22nd birthday but you have to read the correct posts.

Here are some clue to finding these masters.

1: They say things about themselves that are very positive.
2: They are positive that they are correct.
3: They go crazy if somebody disagrees with them
4: They will make many reference to how this is the modern game and it is superior to prior versions of the "modern game".

The Wreck 05-30-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Hi,

DjokovicWinStreak

No, no, no. You're going about this all wrong. If you truly want to be first class (and you can be) you have to change your routine immediately.

Forget all those other workouts. All you need to do is bicep curls. All day. Only with your right arm (or left if you are left handed). The arm and bicep is obviously the only muscle that matters when it comes to tennis and you need it to hit the ball hard like other top 100 players.

Also drop the Nesquik. That's kid stuff. Step up to Muscle Milk. Get you some of that protein. About 400 grams a day should be enough. You may not have to really eat any other meals. Just Muscle Milk all day, everyday. That's get your right arm really big, really fast.

The most important thing though is to just NEVER pick up a tennis racket and hit a ball. If you start hitting a bunch of tennis balls you'll undoubtedly start developing bad habits that will ruin your game and prevent you from ever reaching the top 100. As long as you never swing the racket, your form will be technically perfect, and perfect form is the only way to make it to the elite level.

If you need any more help, I'll be GLAD to give you some more advice...

Devilito 05-30-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Could I become a Great Tennis Player?

no, but you're on your way to becoming a great troll...

brownsfan456 05-30-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wreck (Post 5698454)
No, no, no. You're going about this all wrong. If you truly want to be first class (and you can be) you have to change your routine immediately.

Forget all those other workouts. All you need to do is bicep curls. All day. Only with your right arm (or left if you are left handed). The arm and bicep is obviously the only muscle that matters when it comes to tennis and you need it to hit the ball hard like other top 100 players.

Also drop the Nesquik. That's kid stuff. Step up to Muscle Milk. Get you some of that protein. About 400 grams a day should be enough. You may not have to really eat any other meals. Just Muscle Milk all day, everyday. That's get your right arm really big, really fast.

The most important thing though is to just NEVER pick up a tennis racket and hit a ball. If you start hitting a bunch of tennis balls you'll undoubtedly start developing bad habits that will ruin your game and prevent you from ever reaching the top 100. As long as you never swing the racket, your form will be technically perfect, and perfect form is the only way to make it to the elite level.

If you need any more help, I'll be GLAD to give you some more advice...

Hahahaha I literally laughed out loud!