Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Southern Sectionals (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=382704)

tennis_tater 06-02-2011 04:36 PM

Southern Sectionals

Since there are 9 districts in the Section and each NTRP division usually has 10 teams, does anyone know the procedure Southern's uses to determine which state will get the Wild Card to allow for 10 teams?

JLyon 06-02-2011 06:28 PM

The WC rotates each year, not sure if it goes to the same state for each division. Last year AR went in Men's 5.0 but do not believe it occurred in 4.0 or 4.5 for AR.

tennis_tater 06-10-2011 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Anyone know what state gets the wildcard in 4.0 this year?

JLyon 06-10-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5737636)
Thanks for the info. Anyone know what state gets the wildcard in 4.0 this year?

I think AR might be getting the WC this year for 4.0, spoke with one of the players on the favorites to win AR and he mentioned AR would be getting 2 teams in this year for 4.0 Men. I'll do some double-checking tomorrow and let you know.

tennis_tater 06-11-2011 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info.

Just curious, you mention "favorite" to win Ark. state. I thought it was interesting in the SC State thread two-three weeks ago that posters were talking about the favorite to win their state...and the favorite ended up coming through and winning SC State. While I think most of us have a pretty good idea as to who the favorites are to win their local leagues, on the few teams I've been on that have gone to state, I'm not sure if I was ever truly able to identify a favorite to win it all. Do you guys find that you have the same players making it to state every year and that there's always one or two teams you can point the finger at and say that is the team that is going to win it all even before the tournament is played?

SCALLSTARS 06-11-2011 10:29 AM

I do not think the team that is the "favorite" usually wins it. There is always a team that is overlooked and wins the majority of the time. Last year the upstate thought the team I was on was the favorite and we ran into a team that beat us 4 to 1 pretty handily and they took it all. Nobody even had them in the conversation. I think it is pretty tough to identify a true favorite as with all the bump ups the leagues dynamic changes every year.

JLyon 06-12-2011 09:33 AM

Yeah the AR favorite lost this morning 3-2, got out coached in singles, they played straight up and the other team flipped. Also lost a doubles match being up a set.

tennis_tater 06-12-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 5740760)
Yeah the AR favorite lost this morning 3-2, got out coached in singles, they played straight up and the other team flipped. Also lost a doubles match being up a set.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that loss was in today's finals. If that's the case, then if Arky gets the WC, the favorite will be going to Sectionals regardless.

JLyon 06-12-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5740805)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that loss was in today's finals. If that's the case, then if Arky gets the WC, the favorite will be going to Sectionals regardless.

SF of Tournament.
Jonesboro faces Rogers in Finals, probably has started right now.

Tennis Phanatic 06-13-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCALLSTARS (Post 5738724)
I do not think the team that is the "favorite" usually wins it. There is always a team that is overlooked and wins the majority of the time. Last year the upstate thought the team I was on was the favorite and we ran into a team that beat us 4 to 1 pretty handily and they took it all. Nobody even had them in the conversation. I think it is pretty tough to identify a true favorite as with all the bump ups the leagues dynamic changes every year.

Most people in the upstate also know your captain made some questionable decisions that had an adverse impact on your team. You can have the best team on paper but if your captain doesn't play every match to win and takes things for granted, the end result is usually not good.

tennis_tater 06-13-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis Phanatic (Post 5742417)
Most people in the upstate also know your captain made some questionable decisions that had an adverse impact on your team. You can have the best team on paper but if your captain doesn't play every match to win and takes things for granted, the end result is usually not good.

Well, its always easy to second guess a captain's decision once the results are known. As a former captain, deciding whether to play straight up or flop courts is often times a gamble and crap-shoot as what your opponent's captain does (if he is a good captain) is often times unpredictable as well.

tennis_tater 06-13-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 5740902)
SF of Tournament.
Jonesboro faces Rogers in Finals, probably has started right now.

Ok, so I'm assuming both of those teams are in for Sectionals.

Was looking at the other districts to see who has played their State tournaments, and when I was looking at Georgia, I saw they had a 4.0 State Championship winner and then a 4.0 LOW State Champion. Does anyone know the difference between these two and which, if not both, go to Sectionals?

SweetH2O 06-13-2011 09:02 AM

I play in a 4.0 low league. You have to be in the bottom half of the 4.0 range of dynamic ratings (or a 3.5) to play on a 4.0 low team. It's a way to get more competitive matches in areas that have enough players to support further segmenting of the levels.

I don't think the low teams advance any farther than states if I'm not mistaken.

tennis_tater 06-13-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetH2O (Post 5742844)
I play in a 4.0 low league. You have to be in the bottom half of the 4.0 range of dynamic ratings (or a 3.5) to play on a 4.0 low team. It's a way to get more competitive matches in areas that have enough players to support further segmenting of the levels.

I don't think the low teams advance any farther than states if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the response. I had never heard of a LOW division. That's sounds like an interesting concept to provide for more competitive tennis.

Tennis Phanatic 06-13-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5742813)
Well, its always easy to second guess a captain's decision once the results are known. As a former captain, deciding whether to play straight up or flop courts is often times a gamble and crap-shoot as what your opponent's captain does (if he is a good captain) is often times unpredictable as well.

Unfortunately I disagree with you here. When a captain doesn't play his best singles player AND his best doubles team and they end up losing the match 3-2, that is not me second guessing him. That is plain stupidity on his part.

JLyon 07-01-2011 12:28 PM

Appears AL got the WC for 4.0, KY for 4.5, MS for 5.0 Men

tennis_tater 07-01-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLyon (Post 5802542)
Appears AL got the WC for 4.0, KY for 4.5, MS for 5.0 Men

How do you find this out? I see they have already started breaking up the divisions for 4.0, but they have one divison with 5 teams and the other with 3 teams. And no state listed is listed twice.

philxor 07-01-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5742937)
Thanks for the response. I had never heard of a LOW division. That's sounds like an interesting concept to provide for more competitive tennis.

When they bumped a lot of people from 3.5 to 4.0 the other year it left a glut of folks at 4.0. Georgia has so many players especially in the Atlanta area there are enough to field a 4.0 LOW league.

tennis_tater 07-02-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5803405)
How do you find this out? I see they have already started breaking up the divisions for 4.0, but they have one divison with 5 teams and the other with 3 teams. And no state listed is listed twice.

Looks like miss may have gotten the wc for 4.0

Tennis Phanatic 07-14-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_tater (Post 5738670)
Thanks for the info.

Just curious, you mention "favorite" to win Ark. state. I thought it was interesting in the SC State thread two-three weeks ago that posters were talking about the favorite to win their state...and the favorite ended up coming through and winning SC State. While I think most of us have a pretty good idea as to who the favorites are to win their local leagues, on the few teams I've been on that have gone to state, I'm not sure if I was ever truly able to identify a favorite to win it all. Do you guys find that you have the same players making it to state every year and that there's always one or two teams you can point the finger at and say that is the team that is going to win it all even before the tournament is played?

I think it is tough to compare teams from different states, since there is no common reference point and in most cases you don't know players from other states, but it is still fun to do. Based on looking at the 4.0 teams online, I would say the top 4.0 teams at sectionals will be Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama, with Tennessee being the favorite to win it all.