Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Long shot but anyone know anything about this resort in Cancun? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=383979)

Lok3sh 06-10-2011 06:15 PM

Long shot but anyone know anything about this resort in Cancun?

Hey guys!

I'm heading to Cancun for a week or so. I'm going to be staying at a resort and it says it has tennis courts there. I am taking my racquet with me in the hope that I can play there. From the little information I could find, I think they have clay courts. The place is called Mayan Palace Riviera Maya and its about 10 minutes away from Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Has anyone have any information about these courts at all?

Thanks!

bspitch1 06-10-2011 06:26 PM

I personally have not been to the Mayan Palace Riviera Maya resort, but have been to multiple resorts in Playa del Carmen. From my experiences, the courts have been nice and decently well kept, but there typically are not many people that play tennis. The Iberostar in Playa del Carmen had tennis "clinic" type activities for the kids, but the "pro" was just one of the activity leaders and had very little tennis experience.

Hope this helps?

gavna 06-10-2011 07:04 PM

yes they are clay and some are lit as well - one thing to note is that right now this is "offseason" and the crowds are very very light. The resort does have pros on staff but depending on how many folks are booked at the resort is the big???? In the winter and spring the place is packed and tons of good players from Texas show up. You may get some groups from Mexico City / Monterrey on vacation and at times good players. Great location - take the ferry to Cozumel.

OldButGame 06-11-2011 08:41 AM

Friends of mine have 'prearranged' meets with people while traveling, through 'online tennis networks'. These networks often have members all over the globe or certainly the U.S..
Seems like it would be a fun way to arrange some tennis on travel.

Lok3sh 06-11-2011 04:01 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I'll look online to see if I can find such a service... Being off season I'm not too hopeful about playing. I'm not that great of a player myself, maybe I can find someone to just rally with. I'm like a 3 or a 3.5 maybe.

@gavna - Do they have a wall?

Lok3sh 06-13-2011 02:26 PM

So I'm here now, and I saw their courts... They have sand-filled artificial grass tennis courts. They have two and one is being maintained now. There is no wall.

OldButGame 06-13-2011 02:33 PM

You nab any players??? :)

Lok3sh 06-13-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldButGame (Post 5743513)
You nab any players??? :)

Sadly no! I was just practicing serves when 4 people came up to play doubles. So I left. A guy at the lobby that works there said that he plays. He is free Wednesday and Thursday so maybe I'll play with him a bit! The surface of these courts is pretty interesting. I've never played on anything like this before!

gavna 06-15-2011 12:51 PM

Did they install that "Kramertuff" stuff? very commen in the UK - Never seen it in Mexico before. Hows the weather? We were in Cozumel for a few days last week and had so so afternoons - rain coming from the southwest in the laste afternoons.
We were at the Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel and the place was EMPTY - maybe 20 rooms taken fro a resort hotel.

Lok3sh 06-15-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 5748051)
Did they install that "Kramertuff" stuff? very commen in the UK - Never seen it in Mexico before. Hows the weather? We were in Cozumel for a few days last week and had so so afternoons - rain coming from the southwest in the laste afternoons.
We were at the Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel and the place was EMPTY - maybe 20 rooms taken fro a resort hotel.

Whats "Kramertuff"? I'm not really sure...

The weather is not too bad right now! It was randomly raining two days ago but yesterday and today have been fairly clear and not terribly hot in the shade. I went to Cozumel today and did a bit of snorkeling... Cozumel was pretty crowded! The ferry from PDC was so so full both ways... My resort is pretty busy too especially considering its off season...

gavna 06-15-2011 07:15 PM

Kramer Court / Kramermade is one of the brands of syn grass courts - stuff has been installed in lots of hotels and resorts where they used to have clay - lower cost to maintain...etc. Sad to hear its been installed I hate the stuff, The resorts website still lists that they have clay, too bad its gone.

Lok3sh 06-15-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 5748755)
Kramer Court / Kramermade is one of the brands of syn grass courts - stuff has been installed in lots of hotels and resorts where they used to have clay - lower cost to maintain...etc. Sad to hear its been installed I hate the stuff, The resorts website still lists that they have clay, too bad its gone.

Is there a way to tell? Branding anywhere maybe?

Well with clay courts and the rain, it would have prevented a lot of people from playing over the two or three months of the rainy season... Perhaps thats why they did it?