Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is there a drill to help increase racquet head speed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=3840)

Montana Realty 04-25-2004 08:53 AM

Is there a drill to help increase racquet head speed

Is there a drill or workout to help increase racquet head speed?

linli101 04-26-2004 06:10 AM

To increase racquet head speed you have to do some strength training. Try weight lifting three times a week. You aslo need to make sure you have the proper form.

jun 04-26-2004 01:12 PM

strength training will help. But strength and hand speed are not always related.

Take 5lb weight and practice your swings. Another thing is just have some one feed you the ball, and try to really accelerate through the contact zone.

Datacipher 04-26-2004 01:44 PM

Ultimately, the jury is still out whether strength training, plyometrics etc. can ultimately produce much of a difference in your peak speed/power potential in regards to a light implement such as a racquet. There is contradictory data/results/theories.

HOWEVER, by training your nervous system to recruit fibers more efficiently you can develop a faster and faster swing. Which is why unmuscular pros can swing very very fast. Beside the fact they get more ball speed with their consistent timing at contact...

I think overspeed and underspeed training can be helpful. You can swing a weighted racquet but sometimes the extra weight creates dangerous force on the body. Try racquet with cover onto increase resistance without too much weight gain...or slip a shirt over the racquet head and tie it on....or even swing a knotted towl. Use your real stroke movement, you need to mimic the actual movemnt. You can also then vary this with swinging a lighter implement, for example a badminton racquet.

Bungalo Bill 04-26-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jun
strength training will help. But strength and hand speed are not always related.

Take 5lb weight and practice your swings. Another thing is just have some one feed you the ball, and try to really accelerate through the contact zone.

I agree with wieght training as part of your program. The other way is to look closely at your racquets swing wieght. An easy way to generate faster racquet head speed is to take on less swing wieght for your racquet. Or customize it for improved performance.

You can benefit from strength training both light and heavy weights. The other area is stretching and developinf a flexibility program.

kevhen 04-27-2004 06:59 AM

I suppose you could use a drill to drill some holes in your racquet head to make it lighter and faster to swing. Sorry.

I think if you want more power on your shots, get a racquet with a higher swingweight instead of trying to overhit your natural swing.