Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   USTA Florida "New Modified 11 & under division" (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=384085)

seminoleG 06-11-2011 05:17 PM

USTA Florida "New Modified 11 & under division"

Letter given @ checkin I missed the Q&A but was told it will be green ball, raquet size restriction option of playing up for those who want regulation.

So QS to 10 Under to Modified 11. WHATS NEXT?

TennisCoachFLA 06-12-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 5739451)
Letter given @ checkin I missed the Q&A but was told it will be green ball, raquet size restriction option of playing up for those who want regulation.

Wonder what the racquet restriction will be? 26"?

seminoleG 06-12-2011 05:02 PM

Yes 26". Talked to several 10s. All say they are just going to 12s.

BMC9670 06-13-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 5741577)

Again with the mandates. It's full court, why limit the racket size? With all the choice on the market today, many 9, 10, 11 YO are perfectly comfortable with a 27" racket.

I've always moved my son up in size and weight so he's comfortable with technique, but on the upper end of his abilities with the racket. He is 9 YO and 5' tall and just moved to a 27", 10.5 Oz (strung) racket and it's perfect. So, imagine him at 11 and playing with a 26". Why?

TennisCoachFLA 06-13-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 5742555)
Again with the mandates. It's full court, why limit the racket size? With all the choice on the market today, many 9, 10, 11 YO are perfectly comfortable with a 27" racket.

I've always moved my son up in size and weight so he's comfortable with technique, but on the upper end of his abilities with the racket. He is 9 YO and 5' tall and just moved to a 27", 10.5 Oz (strung) racket and it's perfect. So, imagine him at 11 and playing with a 26". Why?

It sounds to me the USTA has a group of folks that need power, need to feel they are responsible for junior development. So the mandates, the high performance huge spending, etc. Instead of just growing the game they need to feel they are the reason American tennis succeeds. To justify their existence they must make rules and mandates.

BMC9670 06-13-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCoachFLA (Post 5742667)
It sounds to me the USTA has a group of folks that need power, need to feel they are responsible for junior development. So the mandates, the high performance huge spending, etc. Instead of just growing the game they need to feel they are the reason American tennis succeeds. To justify their existence they must make rules and mandates.

Yeah, great. Adding Quickstart to get more kids started I can see, but restricting the @ell out of them once they are in isn't good for retention or development. It's just common sense: people flourish when given choices, not restrictions.

A note on the pro level that's analogous: Li Na and the other two top Chinese WTA players credit the Federation with LOOSENING their restrictions and allowing them to choose their own coaches and training regimen. Choice = success.

BMC9670 06-13-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 5741577)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 5742555)

Come to think of it, I had a discussion with the pro who ran the Orange ball event we went to recently. He wouldn't let my son use his 26" racket (as I said, he's now on 27", but since it was Orange, we broke out the old 26"). He justified the 25" racket rule by saying that per the USTA, the geometry of the court matched up to a 25" racket. By that argument (and it's not a good one), a racket size restriction on a full court doesn't make sense.

TennisCoachFLA 06-13-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 5742724)
Come to think of it, I had a discussion with the pro who ran the Orange ball event we went to recently. He wouldn't let my son use his 26" racket (as I said, he's now on 27", but since it was Orange, we broke out the old 26"). He justified the 25" racket rule by saying that per the USTA, the geometry of the court matched up to a 25" racket. By that argument (and it's not a good one), a racket size restriction on a full court doesn't make sense.

Paralysis by analysis. Court geometry and racquet size, racquet size and kid's age, court dimensions and kid's age, red balls, orange balls, green balls, orange ball U10s, green ball U11s....

Makes your head spin. Wonder how so many great pro and college and league players developed without all these guidelines to follow?

mojojojo 06-13-2011 08:24 AM

BMC9670 06-13-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojojojo (Post 5742898)
Wow, this is too much. Glad my player went through before all this. Luckily we had coaches even at our small little clubs that were capable of guiding him through his equipment and development. This is like telling classroom teachers to teach only to the standardized test, shunning their ability and knowledge. Like many of the sweeping changes USTA makes, this too shall pass, but it will take time for them to acknowledge and straighten it back out. How annoying/distracting for those caught in this tide.

Man, you said it. It is annoying and distracting for us with kids in this age group. I've decided that I'm done with it. I'm going to use the equipment and techniques that I feel are best suited to help my kids learn the game and will do this, as I have done, through research, continuing to study and learn the game, improve my own game, watch and learn from others that are or have been successful, and maybe most importantly - learn from the feedback I get from my own kids.

I'm not going to let mandates, corporate greed, power struggles, and other non-tennis related things dictate how my kids should learn and progress. So far, my instincts have been pretty good, so I'm sticking to my guns through all of this - use the tools that each of my kids needs to learn for the appropriate amount of time as they are ready to move on and progress. When it comes to competition, there are non-usta leagues and clinics for kids under 12, so we can find what we want, and when it's right for them.

BSPE84 06-13-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCoachFLA (Post 5742789)
Paralysis by analysis. Court geometry and racquet size, racquet size and kid's age, court dimensions and kid's age, red balls, orange balls, green balls, orange ball U10s, green ball U11s....

Makes your head spin. Wonder how so many great pro and college and league players developed without all these guidelines to follow?

Why does Pat Mac still have a job? :confused:

TennisCoachFLA 06-13-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPE84 (Post 5742990)
Why does Pat Mac still have a job? :confused:

Because US tennis is the good old boys and girls network. I am sure one or more of Evert's sons will have a huge position some day.

mojojojo 06-13-2011 02:14 PM

seminoleG 06-13-2011 07:20 PM

Well just got back from Fla State closed. Daughter had a Great experience. 2 hr matches was the norm 100 deg today!!! The 12s and 10s was something to see. Hard to make argument for new system. Saw the top 5 players in the US @12s and 10s and great tennis. All the shots, power, touch etc. All suggest 8s, 9s practice enter 12s @ 10s. Not one RM, or IMG parent buys the 10 n under system.
USTA has a long road to sell this.

Happen to be @ wet n wild. Met the parents of #2 G12 in Dominican Republic. In line for one of those slides and asked why I was in Orlando! Small world. Talked about 10 Under tennis. The International folks jus not get what USTA is doing!!

Last point daughter lost to a local girl whose dad is a nice guy. We discussed setting up website for match play for 10s. Small fee for parents with blog, calendar, message board. This U11 thing convinced many USTA just doesn't get it. They are concerned with REC tennis.

dirkpitt38 06-14-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Please this has to be a rumor!!!!

chalkflewup 06-14-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seminoleG (Post 5744078)
Well just got back from Fla State closed. Daughter had a Great experience. 2 hr matches was the norm 100 deg today!!! The 12s and 10s was something to see. Hard to make argument for new system. Saw the top 5 players in the US @12s and 10s and great tennis. All the shots, power, touch etc. All suggest 8s, 9s practice enter 12s @ 10s. Not one RM, or IMG parent buys the 10 n under system.
USTA has a long road to sell this.

Happen to be @ wet n wild. Met the parents of #2 G12 in Dominican Republic. In line for one of those slides and asked why I was in Orlando! Small world. Talked about 10 Under tennis. The International folks jus not get what USTA is doing!!

Last point daughter lost to a local girl whose dad is a nice guy. We discussed setting up website for match play for 10s. Small fee for parents with blog, calendar, message board. This U11 thing convinced many USTA just doesn't get it. They are concerned with REC tennis.

Glad she played in the tournament. It's a great event. I'm in Daytona Beach at the 14, 16, and 18s site. Great facility and some great tennis too.

seminoleG 06-14-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 5744757)
Glad she played in the tournament. It's a great event. I'm in Daytona Beach at the 14, 16, and 18s site. Great facility and some great tennis too.

Yea I took all you guys advice. Played #1 seed and was in awe, but was not out hit. Had to use Drop shots, Slice, Lobs to run my little one around. Best thing was for my daughter to see how you move a player side to side AND up/back. We got a Consolation win and best went to Seaworld, Wet n Wild and had the best BBQ of my life @ 4Rivers. BBQ. :)

$1,000,000 couldn't satisfy me more than the last 4 days!!!!

seminoleG 06-14-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkpitt38 (Post 5744744)
Please this has to be a rumor!!!!

I'll never post a rumor. But I understand your disbelief as the shock @ seeing the letter in our welcome packet. All of this at the Florida.USTA.com

http://assets.usta.com/assets/651/15/2012%20Changes.pdf

dirkpitt38 06-15-2011 05:26 AM

Quote:

What's next is they should just cut to the chase and make the US Open play a QS format. Starting my 6 year old son playing tennis and will be sending him to a coach that does not do QS. Here in SWFL mainly the public court programs do QS. I do find low compression balls good for him but he wants to use a full court. We will continue to do that and from leasons I learned from my 11 year old son I will hold off on putting him in any tourneys until he can play in the 12s, unless the 12's become the 10 and under with the old format, then it will be later.

seminoleG 06-16-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkpitt38 (Post 5747003)
unless the 12's become the 10 and under with the old format, then it will be later.

Data already out (other Regions) and USTA Florida folks "See the 12s populated with 10s, they knew top perfomring 10s were playing up already. Now they are getting new 10s starting in 12s seeking regulation tennis. Avoiding the 10 and Under format."

We'll what do you expect. Unless the 10 and Under events are free or very, very cheap they'd rather pay ~$30-$40 for reguation. Loacal they get 2 matches.