Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Play at Roland Garros or other red clay options? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=384404)

ukengineer 06-14-2011 07:52 AM

Play at Roland Garros or other red clay options?

I am taking a trip to Paris in early July. It would be amazing to hit on a court at Roland Garros while there. I know it is probably a long shot, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has been able to do this. If it is impossible to play at RG, does anyone have a recommendation for some red clay courts that I could play on while in Paris? It seems that most of the public courts I have found online are hard courts.

LuckyR 06-14-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukengineer (Post 5744976)
I am taking a trip to Paris in early July. It would be amazing to hit on a court at Roland Garros while there. I know it is probably a long shot, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has been able to do this. If it is impossible to play at RG, does anyone have a recommendation for some red clay courts that I could play on while in Paris? It seems that most of the public courts I have found online are hard courts.

My understanding is that the courts at RG are not in playing readiness, except during the tourney, though they supposedly have a great tour where they take you onto the courts to check them out.

ukengineer 06-15-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyR (Post 5745816)
My understanding is that the courts at RG are not in playing readiness, except during the tourney, though they supposedly have a great tour where they take you onto the courts to check them out.

Thanks, I emailed RG and they confirmed that it is not possible to hit on the courts. I am definitely going to do the tour though. Any ideas on any other red clay options in Paris?

spaceman_spiff 06-15-2011 07:49 AM

One of the posters in Paris might step in with some info. But if not, check with hotel staff (if you're staying in a hotel). They should be able to help you book a court at a decent club or give you info on public courts.

It's much faster and more pain free that way.

Mikael 06-15-2011 08:32 AM

I confirm all public courts in Paris are hard courts. To play on clay you'll need to go to a club that has clay and find out whether you can play on their courts + how much they will charge you... Unfortunately most clubs are outside of Paris. Inside Paris you can google PUC (Paris Universite Club), Paris Racing Club, there are probably a few others.

gavna 06-15-2011 12:45 PM

Forget the Racing Club - My parents are members and I dont think they allow guests to play - very private - your best bet is to look at the FFT website and use the main link for "SITE FFT" then link on the left for "TENIS EN REGION" then "CLUBS EN LIGNE" that will bring up the links for almost 30 clubs in Pris alone. You can reach out to each and find out about being a guest - FYI the site is all French except some info on the Competition page.

ollinger 06-15-2011 01:27 PM

For a future vacation, try Montecatini, in Italy. My wife and I spent a week there once -- it's a 20 minute train ride west of Florence, easy travel to Lucca, Pisa, Siena, etc. What's great is that there's a large public park with a red clay facility that hosted some of Italy's Davis Cup matches when Panatta was active. About 10 gorgeous clay courts, 3 of them in a bubble in the event of rain, one of them in a small stadium setting, all of them available for about 10 Euros an hour, with a teaching pro who has a roster of fine players from which he'll make matches for you. Had a terrific time there.

ukengineer 06-16-2011 11:13 AM

Thanks for all of the info guys. I think I will probably just stick to the tour at RG due to the difficulty of getting on a red clay court. I need to keep perspective that I can play tennis anytime, but that I won't be back in Europe any time soon. It does seem a shame that any old duffer can go play golf at Pebble Beach or St. Andrews if they shell out enough money, but it is impossible for tennis fans to play at the most famous venues in the world.

klu375 06-16-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukengineer (Post 5750291)
Thanks for all of the info guys. I think I will probably just stick to the tour at RG due to the difficulty of getting on a red clay court. I need to keep perspective that I can play tennis anytime, but that I won't be back in Europe any time soon. It does seem a shame that any old duffer can go play golf at Pebble Beach or St. Andrews if they shell out enough money, but it is impossible for tennis fans to play at the most famous venues in the world.

You are always welcome at the US Open site, even on green clay.
http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Natio...Tennis_Center/

West Coast Ace 06-16-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukengineer (Post 5750291)
It does seem a shame that any old duffer can go play golf at Pebble Beach or St. Andrews if they shell out enough money, but it is impossible for tennis fans to play at the most famous venues in the world.

Amen. Tennis still has quite a bit of snobbery. I had my hotel in Rome arrange for a hit on red clay last yr. When I arrive they asked to verify my 'club affiliation'. I explained I didn't belong to a club - there are 40 tennis courts within a few miles of my house and work. Even told them I was willing to pay a reasonable amount for the instructor's time and the court. They never responded. Sad.

Note: not sure if it's the case anymore but at one time you had to be a 18 handicap or better to play The Old Course.

fantasticfed 06-20-2011 02:53 AM

Come down to melbourne park...you can hit on the courtss there!!! every court except RLA and Hisense Arena (2main courts)

Ragpicker 08-09-2011 06:01 AM

A lot of red clay courts all over Germany. Have played at the public courts just across from the Olympic Stadium in Munich, as well as a small private club in Baden-Baden - the Rot-Weiss Tennis Club.

http://tc-rw-baden-baden.de/