Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Will Tiger Woods still tie or break Nicklaus's record (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=384634)

NadalAgassi 06-15-2011 10:39 PM

Will Tiger Woods still tie or break Nicklaus's record

Simple question. Do you think Tiger will still end up tieing or breaking Jack's majors record of 18. He is at 14 now, so needing 4 more to tie and 5 to break. I am going to have to say a definite no at this point. He seems to be past his prime physically with increasing knee problems, and mentally he doesnt seem the same anymore either. If he doesnt win a major this year (seems pretty obvious now) he would need to average 1 major per year for the next 4 years just to reach 18 before he starts playing in his 40s. In his prime from 1997-2009 he was averaging 1.08 majors a year, so how would he do nearly that seeing how he is now. And as we are seeing he isnt exactly aging well so what are his chances to win majors in his 40s, other than maybe one fluke miracle sort perhaps.

So I dont think he will even tie the record, let alone break. Which is a shame since there has been so much time, over a decade, of focus of all golf on him doing this. And it is a shame to see it sort of go to waste after so much interest invested in it. Not to mention a shame for him after he invested so much in doing it.

Viking_Golfer 06-15-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 5749049)
Simple question. Do you think Tiger will still end up tieing or breaking Jack's majors record of 18. He is at 14 now, so needing 4 more to tie and 5 to break. I am going to have to say a definite no at this point. He seems to be past his prime physically with increasing knee problems, and mentally he doesnt seem the same anymore either. If he doesnt win a major this year (seems pretty obvious now) he would need to average 1 major per year for the next 4 years just to reach 18 before he starts playing in his 40s. In his prime from 1997-2009 he was averaging 1.08 majors a year, so how would he do nearly that seeing how he is now. And as we are seeing he isnt exactly aging well so what are his chances to win majors in his 40s, other than maybe one fluke miracle sort perhaps.

So I dont think he will even tie the record, let alone break. Which is a shame since there has been so much time, over a decade, of focus of all golf on him doing this. And it is a shame to see it sort of go to waste after so much interest invested in it. Not to mention a shame for him after he invested so much in doing it.

Sorry to say so - but NO!

He will maybe win one or two majors more before he quits, but not 4 or 5 :(

I'm a HUGE Tiger fan and I hope I'm wrong !!!!!

hollywood9826 06-16-2011 05:48 AM

The best thing for Tiger right now is to take the rest of the year off. Get 100% physically and come back next year stronger.

He hasnt been 100% and its has been affecting his practice.

I still think he is too good to not do it. He seems to want to be out there. You figure he has a chance every year at Augusta. Say he plays 10years figure he at least wins 2. He only needs two more.

I think he does it.

r2473 06-16-2011 07:04 AM

Jack won his last major at age 46.

Tiger turns 36 in December.

He "only" needs 5 more.

Presently, there isn't any other "superstar" in golf that you "expect" to win. He "nearly" won The Masters this year not playing anywhere near his best golf.

If injury doesn't stop him, he'll break Jack's record.

Fearsome Forehand 06-16-2011 07:24 AM

If not for his knee problems, which are serious, I would have voted yes, as is I voted no.

He needs to go back to whoring around. Cutting loose all his hos has completely ruined his golf game. :)

pabletion 06-16-2011 08:23 AM

well... hope so and think so; maybe cause I watch golf cause of TW, and began playing also cause of him. I read an interesting article on golf digest which pretty much summarizes how Tiger is a better overall golfer than at his "prime", meaning, he is in contention more often than he was back when he dominated the majors for a couple of years. Just take a look at it, even when he's been out and comes back for a major (i.e., Masters 2010) hes not that far, in fact fighting for it. The article affirms he is now better at being in contention playing not great cause he has more shots. TW himself said that back then, he was on a "hot streak" where he went for it almost all the time, that he's learned with time to be able to contend when he's not "hot", and that is what made Nicklaus great, consistency not streaks.....

Great champions are always in contention, even if sometimes it seems they dont win often (take a look at some guy called Roger Federer)

Polaris 06-16-2011 12:06 PM

It seems to be a question of "When?", rather than "If?".

LuckyR 06-17-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 5749627)

Tiger turns 36 in December.

He "only" needs 5 more.

Presently, there isn't any other "superstar" in golf that you "expect" to win. He "nearly" won The Masters this year not playing anywhere near his best golf.

If injury doesn't stop him, he'll break Jack's record.

But will he ever play his best golf again? An open question.

SStrikerR 06-17-2011 11:17 AM

I don't think so. I mean he has a lot of time so it could still happen, but there are other guys that are gonna be competing for a while now. Young guys like Rory.

retlod 06-17-2011 11:44 AM

Tiger is finished, but it's not his knee, ankle, or whatever that's the problem. It's his mind. In it he's no longer "The Man" who gets to travel around and bang anyone he wants. That's shattered his confidence and his game has suffered as a result. The "injuries" are crap. This isn't tennis we're talking about--it's golf. Even if you can barely walk, you can still play.

CCNM 06-17-2011 12:36 PM

I still think Tiger has a few more titles left in him if he stays healthy and out of trouble.

NadalAgassi 06-17-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 5749627)

His 2nd last major was at 40. He won only that one after 40 (6 years later). And Jack at 35 was doing a whole lot better than Tiger is now.

r2473 06-17-2011 02:06 PM

Looks like he had 14 at age 35. He won one more of each from age 36-46.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Nicklaus

NadalAgassi 06-17-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2473 (Post 5753692)
Looks like he had 14 at age 35. He won one more of each from age 36-46.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Nicklaus

Interesting. Which means Tiger would have to match or better Jack from age 36 onwards to tie or break his record (assuming he doesnt win one this year). And the way things look now I dont see that happening.

r2473 06-17-2011 02:53 PM

^^ It will be tough. You don't really expect to win a major after the age of 40, so realistically, Tiger would need to win one a year the next 4 years to tie.

Tchocky 06-17-2011 10:06 PM

I seriously doubt Tiger will win another major. His head is not right and now his body is failing him.

r2473 10-28-2011 08:34 AM

He is ranked 55 at the moment and hasn't won a tournament in 2 years.

I suspect he will be back on track in 2012 and win a major.

Can he win 4 more and tie or 5 more and break Jack's record? If his knee holds up, I still think he can. He's still very fit and I suspect he can be very relevant for another 5 to even as many as 10 years.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79Q7QR20111027

chollyred 10-28-2011 08:54 AM

Not a Tiger fan, but a fan of what he did for the game of Golf. As his game and the economy slide, I'm afraid purses and touraments will suffer and golf will once again fade away from the TV networks. More tournaments (except for the majors) will be pushed to the Golf Channel or ESPN2.

I believe he's pretty well done unless somebody can really get into his head. He's only had 4 top 10 finishes in the last two years. He may get it together enough to win 1 or 2 more, but that's about it, kinda like Darren Clark won the British this year. It'll be more of an anomaly than anything expected.

ollinger 10-28-2011 09:53 AM

The more relevant question now is whether he'll reach Wilt Chamberlain's record.

r2473 10-28-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6086506)
The more relevant question now is whether he'll reach Wilt Chamberlain's record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34