Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   P90X modified for tennis season (my round 2) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=385477)

tennis34 06-22-2011 05:51 AM

P90X modified for tennis season (my round 2)

I'm proud to say that I did finish all 90 days of P90X program! It was a great experience, and it made me feel really energized when I walk out on the tennis court.

Now, I'm preparing to do it all over again, and since it's summer, it will be easier to incorporate tennis into it.

Results from the first time around

1) I lost 10 pounds. (Down to 192 from 202).
2) My shoulders, chest and arms are better defined.
3) I never had so much energy, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I can spend 2 intense hours on the tennis court and still feel like i have some energy left. Plyometrics dvd gets the most credits for it.

Lessons learned from Round 1

1) I need to eat better this time around to gain more muscle mass. I bought protein shakes, and cut down on carbs (bread) and eating more meat/fish. Definitely eating more vegetables and fruits too.

2) I wanted to get better abs definition the first time around, but it's just not showing up. I gave up all mochas and fatty food. Replacing all my sugar cravings with fruit.

3) I'm doing more Yoga this time around. I was too lenient on myself first time around, and I'd skip it a lot.

My Modifications

I modified P90X schedule to incorporate tennis instead of all P90X cardio dvds. It's summer, and I play tennis 4-5 times a week :)

The challenge is to find time to do all P90X stuff in addition to tennis, work and sleep. So, instead of having a set day for each dvd, I will have a list of workouts to do every week. For example, if I have to carry over the Ab Ripper to the next day, so be it. Or, I can always work in 30 minutes of Yoga as the warm up before tennis...

Weeks 1,2,3,9, 11

Chest & Back

Yoga X

Shoulders & Arms

Back & Biceps

3 times Abs Ripper X

4 times Tennis

Weeks 5, 6, 7, 10, 12

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Yoga X

Back & Biceps

Shoulders & Arms

3 times Ab Ripper X

4 times Tennis

Recovery Weeks 4,8,13

2 times Yoga X

2 times Core Synergistics

3 times AbRipper X

4 times Tennis

charliefedererer 06-22-2011 06:07 AM

It's great to have a plan. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this program.

Just don't be afraid of "listening to your body" and modifying it as time goes along.

Welcome to Talk Tennis.

Good luck!

tennis34 06-22-2011 09:58 AM

Thanks! I will keep posting updates on this thread as I progress. I'm in week 2 now, and so far so good.

tennis34 06-22-2011 10:41 AM

I should probably state my stats/background:
34 y/o
6'3" height
191 pound (as of today)

Fitness level: I played basketball and soccer my whole life (on average 3 times a week). I've never before did a serious workout program similar to P90X. First time around was really tough. Second time around is easier because I know the routines, but it might be time to increase some of the weights. Right now, I do most of the exercises with 20 pound dumbbells.

I started playing tennis about 3 years ago. I never played in my life before. Right now I'm a solid 3.5 (maybe even a 4.0 player). I play about 4 times a week in the summer.

JGads 06-22-2011 02:30 PM

I'm into my second month of 'Insanity'. Such a great tennis workout, because it's 80 percent leg work that, for me, has completely built up my strength where I'd long neglected. But that really good diet is a must to keep your energy levels up; otherwise you completely drain yourself. Tennis34, have you done that recovery shake (either 'shakeology' or 'results and recovery' formula) they recommend? If so, your thoughts on it?

pudelko 06-22-2011 06:24 PM

I also started with P90X, never got through the whole 90 days, but did restart multiple times. I usually got 1 month in and started to lose interest.

Then I discovered Insanity. It is a lot harder. I actually have to push myself extremely hard through most of it. Just like with P90X I started skipping. The first time I made it to day 40 (out of 63) And now Im 2 weeks into my second attempt to make it through the full course.

I went back and tried some P90X after and it was way too boring and easy. I couldnt wait for the pace to increase. It seemed like everything was being done too casually in P90X after I had experienced Insanity.

So I guess what Im trying to say is: If P90X gets boring, definitely try Insanity to get even more out of your workouts!

JGads 06-22-2011 07:26 PM

^^^
Good to hear, in a way, as I was considering P90X as a follow up to Insanity. I thought it was actually a tougher workout. Best part about Insanity is the simplicity (no weights/bands) and the timing (just 40, 45 mins a day). Loving it.

dak95_00 06-22-2011 08:28 PM

I finished P90x a month or so back and moved on to Insanity. I miss the weights of P90x. I'm in my 3rd week of Insanity and it is a sweat factory. I fill up a shirt and have sweat pouring off of my body while doing it. It has killed my tennis game but I know it will eventually help it. My legs are just getting used to it and my game is improving but the first two weeks were tough.

This week, I started doing P90x weight workouts in the evening since I'm doing Insanity in the morning. Here is my modification:

Insanity in the am M-F.
M=Chest & Back + Ab Ripper
T=Tennis
W=Tennis
R=Arms & Shoulders + Ab Ripper
F or Sat=Back
Sun=Rest

I will do the other workouts at a similar interval when I get to week 5 of P90x and probably skip all P90x workouts during the rest weeks. I just really miss the weight workouts and the muscle mass that I gained by doing these workouts. They (P90x) are so layed back compared to Insanity but they also work very, very good w/ less chance of injury. I will also be skipping all ab workouts associated w/ Insanity as I feel P90x's ab ripper workout is safer as it assures better form w/ less of a chance of my body breaking down because of improper form caused by fatigue.

I should also say that I'm playing tennis in the am on Saturday & Sunday. My background is:
39 years old, 5'9" 170lbs (160 before P90x), distance runner prior to doing these workouts (completed 1/2 marathon at 8min/mile pace in fall), wanted some explosiveness (got it), and now I want a six pack (not yet; better diet should do it!)

tennis34 06-23-2011 03:41 AM

JGads,
I haven't tried Shakeology...I bought a protein shake from Sam's Club which has 190 calories and 30g of protein in a serving instead. I didn't do any protein shakes in my Round 1, which was a big mistake. Shakeology looks good though, but it is really pricey (it comes down to about $4 a shake).

To reply about all Insanity comments....Insanity is definitely on my "to-do" list. I am planning to do it in the winter when the tennis season winds down.

dak95_00,
your program looks really intense! Are you seeing more results from this hybrid of P90X/Insanity?

dak95_00 06-23-2011 07:37 PM

Results:

I'm only 3 weeks into Insanity. It is tough and I am sore. I have good days and bad days and I depend on my legs to drive my tennis shots and it is hurting my tennis right now. However, I'm looking good for me. I've never had a 6 pack and I'm still not there but I can see it coming. I'm as close as I've ever been. I'm going to really work on my eating here in the next few weeks. I've already returned from the grocery w/ better choices; the foods I eat when I'm training for distance running, etc.

I'm certain it will all pay off in the end. I can say that when I was only 5 weeks into P90x that my legs and energy level felt as though I was 10-15 years younger and it was evident when I played basketball against guys who I'd played with in the past and are 10-15 years younger than I am i.e. I kept up better and outplayed them in some cases where I'd never done that before.

I also think it will be one of those things that it'll take me longer to notice than it will for people around me to notice. For example, I'm going to visit my brother in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen him since last summer. He'll notice more changes than I have noticed because I saw it happen gradually. He'll just notice that I'm bigger/stronger/more defined through the upper body and also in the lower body. I just have to get that midsection there. It's almost there. I'm not embarrased to walk around at the pool.

Time to do Arms & Shoulders (11:37pm)!

tennis34 06-24-2011 06:47 AM

Impressive effort! I'll definitely give Insanity a shot somewhere in November when they take off the nets from tennis courts :)

a10best 06-24-2011 09:10 AM

Great stuff. I been ding P90x for 1 year now and love the results. I worked out for 25 yr and never got it right until P90x.

I do everything except for the back & biceps (no pull-ups or chair dips since those really hurt my shoulders & had to see a doc).
After cutting those two out, I am back at 110% & leaner. a six pack & I always ate healthy so diet was not modified much. Just eating smart.

6, 1 3/4 inch
205 (was 215), trying to get back to 195-ish

Monday - Core Synergistics + Abs Ripper X
Tuesday - Plyometrics
Wednesday - Shoulders & Arms + Abs Ripper X
Thursday - Yoga X (or Tennis)
Friday - Legs + Abs Ripper X (or Tennis)
Saturday - Tennis and/or Cardio X
Sunday - Tennis

I hated Yoga but now I look forward to it since the type he does actually sculpts your body.

tennis34 06-24-2011 09:47 AM

I'm glad to see that other people are modifying too. A lot of advice out there is not to deviate from the program, but as Tony said: "Do your best and forget the rest". To me, this translates to: "Feel free to modify as long as it makes sense".

hydenst 06-24-2011 10:25 AM

remember if you are goin to modify just dont do too much activity cause injuries can occur from too much workout.... YOU DO NEED TIME TO RECOVER FROM SO MUCH ACTIVITY!!!! I love both Insanity and P90x...I started with Insanity then went on to p90x after and had amazin tennis results...now i have moved on to CLX, another beach body program and love it...but with all of them I made sure to take sundays off to recover and on mon wed and fri hit the tennis courts after i did my workout in the morning or afternoon for about a 2.5 hr court workout!!!
if you do follow the programs and put in the time with them your tennis game will go to higher levels!!!

scotus 06-24-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pudelko (Post 5767787)
I also started with P90X, never got through the whole 90 days, but did restart multiple times. I usually got 1 month in and started to lose interest.

Then I discovered Insanity. It is a lot harder. I actually have to push myself extremely hard through most of it. Just like with P90X I started skipping. The first time I made it to day 40 (out of 63) And now Im 2 weeks into my second attempt to make it through the full course.

I went back and tried some P90X after and it was way too boring and easy. I couldnt wait for the pace to increase. It seemed like everything was being done too casually in P90X after I had experienced Insanity.

So I guess what Im trying to say is: If P90X gets boring, definitely try Insanity to get even more out of your workouts!

If P90X is too easy, all you have to do is up the weights you use (except on the non-weight programs).

After a few weeks of Insanity, I can do the whole program just fine, but I find singles tennis matches much harder. Maybe I run too fast for my own good.

JGads 06-24-2011 11:03 AM

Towards the end of the week, like now (Friday), I feel pretty drained after a week of Insanity and tennis. I know it's an investment, but with a league match tomorrow, I need my legs so I'll be taking today off and then possibly doing the workout after my match tomorrow.

Heading into the second month (I'm doing the 'recovery week' workouts now) I've got that Shakeology stuff on order to try and up my energy levels with some extra nutrition. I take a protein shake to recover after the workout, but feel like I something extra, especially now heading into the grueling second month.

Nojoke 06-24-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 5773720)
Towards the end of the week, like now (Friday), I feel pretty drained after a week of Insanity and tennis. I know it's an investment, but with a league match tomorrow, I need my legs so I'll be taking today off and then possibly doing the workout after my match tomorrow.

Heading into the second month (I'm doing the 'recovery week' workouts now) I've got that Shakeology stuff on order to try and up my energy levels with some extra nutrition. I take a protein shake to recover after the workout, but feel like I something extra, especially now heading into the grueling second month.

when I do insanity and have a tennis match, I do the cardio recovery on the morning of my match. Helps gets my legs loose from all the hard workouts and keeps my fresh for the evening match.

a10best 06-24-2011 12:07 PM

I did Insanity too but felt it was too much cardio and don't see myself keeping that kind of cardio routine up weekly. I wanted to build some muscle, lose some body fat at a no-so intense rate. P90x does that. I don't everything in the videos. Plus I don't want to bulk up, I just want to strengthen my abs, shoulder, legs, and back as well as become quicker.

I'll admit. Sundays are usually my off day, and Wednesday may involve tennis vs. working shoulders and arms.
Tony's run around the towel routine, I substitute for that skipping,cross-step, twist thing the pros do. It is simply cross-training for me. Those periodic back or shoulder problems are gone (fingers crossed)

JGads 06-24-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nojoke (Post 5773790)
when I do insanity and have a tennis match, I do the cardio recovery on the morning of my match. Helps gets my legs loose from all the hard workouts and keeps my fresh for the evening match.

That's a good idea, as that's a great little workout that still gets you going just enough without cooking you. I will admit that I LOVE how free and loose Insanity workouts make me feel for my tennis if I do them before I hit the courts; I'm a notorious slow starter and I play so much better early on when I have an Insanity workout behind me. But then if I end up getting into a third set, that's where the legs start to go.

Guess it's always about finding just the right balance, but all in all, I just love Insanity. My legs, once a weakness that led to some knee injuries here and there, are becoming a strength.

zepphead33 06-24-2011 01:15 PM

congrats on being able to finish
***** is hard