Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Spalding gc-20 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=387951)

2kJosh 07-06-2011 08:42 PM

Spalding gc-20

I was digging through our bucket of old racquets and i found a spalding gc-20 it seems like a nice racquet but the grip was a bit torn up. so i have some question: Was this racquet before or after the pro staff 6.0?, How heavy is it normally?, and what is the headsize on it? Thank you for your help.

galain 07-06-2011 10:55 PM

I remember this about 1985/1986. Could be an earlier release but back in those days Australia was a gazillion miles from anywhere so things often took longer to reach us.

Pro Staff was what, 84?

coachrick 07-07-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galain (Post 5819755)
I remember this about 1985/1986. Could be an earlier release but back in those days Australia was a gazillion miles from anywhere so things often took longer to reach us.

Pro Staff was what, 84?

"You can't get there from here" :)

I used the GC 20 for my PTR-USA certification in 1981. Dennis and the staff were Spalding folks back then and I thought having the 'newest thing' from the pro shop would make an impression. ;) It was likely brand new at that time as I don't recall seeing it in Atlanta for a while after my return.

Probably made by Kunnan...similar to the Bancroft ?Scorpion? of the same era(mold-wise, anyway).

Don't Let It Bounce 07-07-2011 09:40 AM

Black and orange, nice cosmetics, right? Those were standard-sized (65-70 sq in head), IIRC, and well before the PS Mid. I don't remember anything in particular about the weight, but I'd expect it to be the usual for standard-sized racquets, ~350g-400g. I bet it would be a nice hit.

EDIT: Looking at old photos I believe I am mistaken, and that the GC-20 had a smallish midsize rather than a standard-size head.

ritton07 07-07-2011 10:41 AM

.. Claudio Panatta (Adriano's less famous brother..) using the GC-20,

2kJosh 07-07-2011 03:19 PM

Thanks guys I hit with it today amazing feel goes great with my s/v style I only I could find another oh well.

galain 07-07-2011 10:26 PM

Coachrick - always a font of knowledge!

2kJosh - nice to hear it's a nice hit. I've been toying with the idea of picking one up myself. They come up fairly often and as far as I know, it's an all fiberglass frame. Sounds like fun.

ritton07 07-08-2011 07:54 AM

retrowagen 07-08-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galain (Post 5821989)
Coachrick - always a font of knowledge!

2kJosh - nice to hear it's a nice hit. I've been toying with the idea of picking one up myself. They come up fairly often and as far as I know, it's an all fiberglass frame. Sounds like fun.

I do believe the name offers a clue as to the composition: GC = "Graphite Composite"; 20 = 20% Fibreglass. Or was that 20% graphite???:lol:

Virginia 07-08-2011 10:35 AM

A little off topic but the Chris range of racquets were all the same mold, but with different compositions. Top model had boron, then came the Power-G 100% graphite, then the Competition 80/20 graphite/fibreglass and finally the Avenger 50/50 graphite/fibreglass.

Incidentally, the fibreglass in these frames was "S2" fibreglass - supposedly stronger. Does anyone have any info on "S2"?

coachrick 07-08-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 5822976)
A little off topic but the Chris range of racquets were all the same mold, but with different compositions. Top model had boron, then came the Power-G 100% graphite, then the Competition 80/20 graphite/fibreglass and finally the Avenger 50/50 graphite/fibreglass.

Incidentally, the fibreglass in these frames was "S2" fibreglass - supposedly stronger. Does anyone have any info on "S2"?

An excellent way to develop a line of rackets, IMO. Back in the '70s through '90s, quite a few companies took advantage of this techinque...allowing some interchangeability of bumpers/grommets, etc. Head, Wimbledon, Wilson, Chris and others had a 'progression' of materials, stiffness, price throughout their lines while using the same mold for the various layups. It was very common when a brand wanted to offer SMUs to large retailers...same mold, different cosmetics and sometimes, different compositions. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Here's just an intro on S2 fiberglass:

"S-2 GlassŪ Fiber Family of products offer a combination of six vital enhanced properties critical for your demanding applications. Compared to conventional glass fiber, the ehnanced properties of S-2 GlassŪ fibers result in better weight performance, and when compared to aramid and carbon, they deliver better cost performance."

There's an eighteen page brochure...IF you are trying to fall asleep! :)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...14eJoQ&cad=rja

vsbabolat 07-08-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 5822772)
I do believe the name offers a clue as to the composition: GC = "Graphite Composite"; 20 = 20% Fibreglass. Or was that 20% graphite???:lol:

I think it was head size. Because there was a GC-30 that was larger.:)

retrowagen 07-08-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 5823263)
I think it was head size. Because there was a GC-30 that was larger.:)

Right you are! - I had a buddy with a GC-30 (with blue graphics), roundabout 1983. That model looked to me then as the Spalding analogue to the Head Graphite Director, with the GC-20 being their direct mark to the Graphite Edge (although in my humble opinion, the Head models had a plusher feel and were more stable, albeit slightly less manoeuverable - by dint of their narrow and less substantial shoulders, the Spalding models felt somewhat "floppy" or more sensitive to torsional twist on off-center hits).

Seems like lots of racquet model names in the 80's had numbers equivalent to the percentage the hitting area was larger than "standard": Rossignol with their 100/150/200/300 (drop the final zero and you have the rough % larger than standard), the 1986/7 Kneissl lineup with Masters 10/25/30 and Spark 25/35, etc. ... :)

MesQueUnClub 07-08-2011 05:42 PM

Speaking of GC-20 and GC-30, anyone has heard of or has any experience with Donnay GTI-25 ?

EDIT : I had written GC-25 earlier. my mistake.

vsbabolat 07-08-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MesQueUnClub (Post 5823951)
Speaking of GC-20 and GC-30, anyone has heard of or has any experience with Donnay GC-25 ?

I have heard of the CGX 25

Virginia 07-09-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 5823128)
An excellent way to develop a line of rackets, IMO. Back in the '70s through '90s, quite a few companies took advantage of this techinque...allowing some interchangeability of bumpers/grommets, etc. Head, Wimbledon, Wilson, Chris and others had a 'progression' of materials, stiffness, price throughout their lines while using the same mold for the various layups. It was very common when a brand wanted to offer SMUs to large retailers...same mold, different cosmetics and sometimes, different compositions. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Here's just an intro on S2 fiberglass:

"S-2 GlassŪ Fiber Family of products offer a combination of six vital enhanced properties critical for your demanding applications. Compared to conventional glass fiber, the ehnanced properties of S-2 GlassŪ fibers result in better weight performance, and when compared to aramid and carbon, they deliver better cost performance."

There's an eighteen page brochure...IF you are trying to fall asleep! :)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...14eJoQ&cad=rja

Thanks, coach - very useful - I've often wondered about S2.

galain 07-10-2011 10:15 AM

Nice to know about the composition good people. I stand corrected, (like I often do!)

MesQueUnClub 07-11-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsbabolat (Post 5824037)
I have heard of the CGX 25

I typed wrong. I wanted to write : Donnay GTI-25. Anyone heard of this one?

v-verb 02-10-2013 04:58 PM

Found a Spalding GC 20 locally yesterday. with cover. $6. Can't wait to try it out!