Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Donald (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=388789)

jaggy 07-13-2011 05:05 AM

The Donald

He gets a wild card to the Aptos challenger and loses in the first round to the mighty Alex Bogdanovic (no stranger himself to GB wildcards).

Tammo 07-13-2011 05:24 AM

So, he lost...what's wrong?

jaggy 07-13-2011 05:31 AM

Nothing is wrong, you make a great point, sorry to add to any discussion on this forum.

FedererBestTennis 07-13-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 5833274)
He gets a wild card to the Aptos challenger and loses in the first round to the mighty Alex Bogdanovic (no stranger himself to GB wildcards).

Oh Donald...I think Nike is going to drop him VERY soon.

Mainad 07-13-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 5833274)

Alex Bogdanovic WON a match?? What's got into HIM??? :shock:

jakemcclain32 07-13-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 5833617)
Alex Bogdanovic WON a match?? What's got into HIM??? :shock:

Donald Young faced him, that's why. He'll lose in the second round, probably.

And that kid's case really saddens me. He is an example of a stark refusal to let go of the kid, and let him fly. He needs real instructors, real discipline, and a real work ethic.

His results in tournaments, and in wild cards no less, shows he has none of the three.

batz 07-13-2011 11:54 AM

Does this mean Bogdanovic is now British number 1?

Dgpsx7 07-13-2011 12:04 PM

Did Donald Young ever get a real couch or are mommy and daddy still..

kiteboard 07-13-2011 12:06 PM

Another example of a careless punk who does not show up on time, work hard, treat the game with respect, respect others or himself.

atatu 07-13-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiteboard (Post 5834279)
Another example of a careless punk who does not show up on time, work hard, treat the game with respect, respect others or himself.

The similarities between DY and Demetrius Walker are scary:

http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/0...to-sports.html

RedWeb 07-13-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 5834380)
The similarities between DY and Demetrius Walker are scary:

http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2010/0...to-sports.html

The book "Play Their Hearts Out" is a tremendous read for anyone interested in sports.

Cormorant 07-13-2011 03:50 PM

I'd say Bogdanovic's best tennis surpasses Young's, going on the matches they've played against top 100 pros so far.

jakemcclain32 07-13-2011 07:21 PM

Watch this shootout third set. Pretty bad tennis from both sides, but this REALLY sums up Donald Young's problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDyUzhCB6mg

jakemcclain32 07-13-2011 07:35 PM

Wanna know what's sad? Most any of us here could play Donald Young, and while we're not going to win the match, we could probably take 2-3 games off the guy based off his errors alone.

atatu 07-14-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakemcclain32 (Post 5835075)
Wanna know what's sad? Most any of us here could play Donald Young, and while we're not going to win the match, we could probably take 2-3 games off the guy based off his errors alone.

Yeah, not so much, you don't know what you're talking about on this one. You might get one game over two sets.

jakemcclain32 07-14-2011 07:29 AM

You truly sure about that?

I never said any of us would beat him. Kid's still a beast athlete, so we have to give that to him. I just meant that, match after match after match, he goes for the same shots, makes the same errors, double faults the same amount, etc... If it comes up to us, we barely win a point on the guy, but the guy is flat out his own worst enemy.

Bilbo 07-14-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakemcclain32 (Post 5835903)
You truly sure about that?

I never said any of us would beat him. Kid's still a beast athlete, so we have to give that to him. I just meant that, match after match after match, he goes for the same shots, makes the same errors, double faults the same amount, etc... If it comes up to us, we barely win a point on the guy, but the guy is flat out his own worst enemy.

He's one of the top 200 professional tennis players... IN THE WORLD. Most of us on here couldn't get 3 games off the #20 junior player in our country.

Donald Young would bagel all of us without breaking a sweat.

Mainad 07-14-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 5834253)
Does this mean Bogdanovic is now British number 1?

Put it this way,he's the only British player with a positive H2H v Donald Young! :)

jakemcclain32 07-14-2011 11:50 AM

I don't think people are understanding my point I'm making.

There's not a chance in hell ANY of us are going to beat him. He IS top 200 in the world. His serve is upwards of 125+. He's a physical specimen.

But I'm just saying that the guy has faced guys like Nadal and Hewitt, and made tons of errors. He's faced guys like Blake and lost because of errors. When he's been on his horrible losing streaks like he's been on in these qualifiers and wild cards, he makes these same mistakes. I'm not saying anyone on here is BETTER than Donald Young, because that's a numbnuts idea in itself. I'm just saying that, no matter who he plays, he plays the same way, makes a ton of errors, double faults a ton, and gets into his own head.

Now if he curbed the mistakes, every single one of us here would be lucky to get a point. That's just what I'm trying to say. I once got whacked in a tournament 1 and 1 by a guy WAY WAY past my level(I was 18 at the time), and the reason it was 1 and 1 instead of a double bagel because, in those two games he lost combined, he had 4 double faults and four errors.

Donald Young's problem, flat out, is his head more than anything else. He's still an elite player compared to the world, but he makes a LOT of mistakes(and the majority are unforced), and that's my point. What's keeping him from making mistakes against a lesser player?

fps 07-14-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakemcclain32 (Post 5836523)
What's keeping him from making mistakes against a lesser player?

The fact that one of us amateurs has no weapon that could hurt him in any way, so he doesn't have to worry about anything other than hitting the ball, which he does miles better than any of us. He would barely lose a point against any of us.