Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lubricate strings? More spins? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=389100)

2Hare 07-15-2011 02:06 AM

Lubricate strings? More spins?
 
Sorry if this is old:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...f-tennis/8339/

Seems like lubricating strings help to rejuvenate the spin of the string. I tried lubricating my gut/poly hybrid, the gut main does seem to snap back much easier now after it. haven't hit with it yet though. Anyone tried it?

pvaudio 07-15-2011 04:25 AM

I rarely say this, but, please do use the search. There is at least a thread a week on this topic.

TimothyO 07-15-2011 05:15 AM

It is old but well worth repeating.

You don't need to lube the strings. A low friction hybrid will do the job just as well and without the mess or questionable effects on the ball!

I've found gut mains on smooth copoly crosses in the high 40s to low 50s work best. Lower and control suffers. Higher and you lock up the string bed. Full coply in the mid to high 40s is good too but doesn't offer the range of feel of gut/ copoly hybrid.

GlenK 07-15-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5837907)
It is old but well worth repeating.

You don't need to lube the strings. A low friction hybrid will do the job just as well and without the mess or questionable effects on the ball!

I've found gut mains on smooth copoly crosses in the high 40s to low 50s work best. Lower and control suffers. Higher and you lock up the string bed. Full coply in the mid to high 40s is good too but doesn't offer the range of feel of gut/ copoly hybrid.


Exactly my experience!! I like both at 1.25mm too..

Ronaldo 07-15-2011 08:04 AM

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...pinandlube.php

Kaz00 07-15-2011 08:34 AM

I've heard South Americans would sand down their strings to give it a little more bite.

MesQueUnClub 07-15-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaz00 (Post 5838268)
I've heard South Americans would sand down their strings to give it a little more bite.

I've also heard they glue baby piranha teeth to natural gut to add more bite and spin while maintaining good power.

sepidoel 07-15-2011 09:57 AM

The next question is what lubrication is best suited for this? Obviously WD40 is not the answer although it gives good result.

I always used multi whether full-bed or hybrid setup, and my stringer used to apply candle's wax onto the string prior to stringing. I felt good about it despite there was still noticeable movement (I suspect the combination of Polystar Energy and Prince Premier was the cause, rather than "the wax didn't work").

However one side effect I just noticed is some of the wax might transfered to the grip via my own hand, made it slippery quite fast. Two possible ways I can think of are by directly touched the string to realign it and by touching the ball that already contaminated.

So, is there any suggestion?

2Hare 07-15-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5837907)
It is old but well worth repeating.

You don't need to lube the strings. A low friction hybrid will do the job just as well and without the mess or questionable effects on the ball!

I've found gut mains on smooth copoly crosses in the high 40s to low 50s work best. Lower and control suffers. Higher and you lock up the string bed. Full coply in the mid to high 40s is good too but doesn't offer the range of feel of gut/ copoly hybrid.

Thanks, I string my hybrid around low to mid 50s with gut main a few pounds higher, and the gut main seems to increase in friction quite fast and the ball start flying. I tried stringing it slightly lower and it had a bit too much power. That's why I decided to lubricate it, and it seems to work!

2Hare 07-15-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 5838216)

awesome! thanks!

2Hare 07-15-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 5837867)
I rarely say this, but, please do use the search. There is at least a thread a week on this topic.

really? I've never seen one, I'll go check them out thanks

wrxtotoro 07-15-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Hare (Post 5838412)
Thanks, I string my hybrid around low to mid 50s with gut main a few pounds higher, and the gut main seems to increase in friction quite fast and the ball start flying. I tried stringing it slightly lower and it had a bit too much power. That's why I decided to lubricate it, and it seems to work!

Yep. It work... I rub some baby oil on gut and it seems to make the more spin friendly.

Kaz00 07-15-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MesQueUnClub (Post 5838294)
I've also heard they glue baby piranha teeth to natural gut to add more bite and spin while maintaining good power.

Omg?! No way I have to totally try this! :P

2Hare 07-16-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxtotoro (Post 5838509)
Yep. It work... I rub some baby oil on gut and it seems to make the more spin friendly.

worn gut has so much frictions, so baby oil works best for you? have you tried other lubricant?

ATP100 07-16-2011 03:22 AM

The next time your string feels dead, or the strings won't go back in place (doesn't matter what kind) put the cheapest hand lotion on them, just enough to get the strings wet, move strings around, realign. You will be surprised.

wrxtotoro 07-16-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Hare (Post 5839560)
worn gut has so much frictions, so baby oil works best for you? have you tried other lubricant?

I don't know if it's the best thing but its cheap in walmart!!

Anyone tried those teflon spray yet?

2Hare 07-17-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxtotoro (Post 5839992)
I don't know if it's the best thing but its cheap in walmart!!

Anyone tried those teflon spray yet?

teflon spray? I would try it if it wasn't for the health concerns about teflon. what about Mira-fit like the one they use in japanese study? anyone knows where you can get those in north america?

TimothyO 07-18-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Hare (Post 5839560)
worn gut has so much frictions, so baby oil works best for you? have you tried other lubricant?

With a smooth poly cross I've found spin increases as the SB ages. I have at least 30 hours or more on my PSLGT gut/poly and it's amazing. Still perfect control but amazing spin. On a good WW forehand I can hear the zinging thwappy sound as the gut mains rip and snap back into place and the ball takes a crazy spinny arc.

Ronaldo 07-18-2011 06:58 AM

Could just tube the mains

sepidoel 07-18-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP100 (Post 5839660)
The next time your string feels dead, or the strings won't go back in place (doesn't matter what kind) put the cheapest hand lotion on them, just enough to get the strings wet, move strings around, realign. You will be surprised.

I deeply thank you, Sir. This is one of the most useful lessons I got from TT. What I used was old (probably already expired) Vaseline for dry skin lotion, and now I'm addicted to apply that to my stringbed.

To do it, first I unaligned my stringbed (all mains and crosses), then I rubbed one press (at most) of the lotion to the stringbed using my palm before I realigned the stringbed.

I just tried it a few hours ago and the lotion truly helped the string movement back like new.

My next question is, what is the most slippery lotion? Preferably cheap and common one.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse