Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Shanghai Masters 2011 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=389139)

mix_ice 07-15-2011 09:28 AM

Shanghai Masters 2011

anybody going this year? to those who have been to the event, which hotels do you recommend? many thanks in advance :)

West Coast Ace 07-17-2011 10:04 AM

I am going (again).

Shanghai has a wide variety of hotels. Depends what your price range is. I use Agoda.com - it's their equivalent to our hotel consolidators. Huge selection thru all star ranges, pictures, maps, and reviews.

onehandbh 07-17-2011 12:41 PM

^^^ Thx. I'll probably be staying with friends. Just there for a couple
days before going to my next destination.

RF007 07-18-2011 03:52 AM

I'm planning to attend as well. I'm actually considering staying at a serviced apartment as it's cheaper and can accommodate more people.

On a side note, have you purchased your tickets? I don't know why but so far only tickets for section 12 of the Center Court is available. What about other sections?

West Coast Ace 07-18-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF007 (Post 5843175)
On a side note, have you purchased your tickets? I don't know why but so far only tickets for section 12 of the Center Court is available. What about other sections?

11A. It's the same section that has been available to foreigners every yr I've been going (since '05).

I have seen serviced apartments listed on Agoda.com too.

RF007 07-19-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 5844743)
11A. It's the same section that has been available to foreigners every yr I've been going (since '05).

I have seen serviced apartments listed on Agoda.com too.

Too bad, I really thought the other sections would be available eventually. I guess I have to buy now then.

Thanks for the info! :)

West Coast Ace 07-19-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF007 (Post 5845608)
Too bad, I really thought the other sections would be available eventually. I guess I have to buy now then.

Thanks for the info! :)

Unfortunately that's how they do it. I believe many sections are reserved for big groups.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait. Tournament gets more popular with each year - you snooze and you will lose.

PS - what country are you in?

RF007 07-20-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 5846761)
Unfortunately that's how they do it. I believe many sections are reserved for big groups.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait. Tournament gets more popular with each year - you snooze and you will lose.

PS - what country are you in?

Just reserved my tickets :)

I'm from the Philippines

West Coast Ace 07-20-2011 03:08 PM

I think I know what is going on. You aren't buying a Series ticket, right? I went back to the site - Section 11 is available if you buy for the whole tournament - Section 12 if you just pick one day (I picked Thurs).

What club do you play at? I met a huge group from Makati that used to come to Shanghai when it hosted the Tennis Masters Cup from '05-'08. They play at the Polo Club.

Stop by Section 11 - I'll be in the front row all week. Probably have one of the RF hats on. :)

RF007 07-23-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 5848911)
I think I know what is going on. You aren't buying a Series ticket, right? I went back to the site - Section 11 is available if you buy for the whole tournament - Section 12 if you just pick one day (I picked Thurs).

What club do you play at? I met a huge group from Makati that used to come to Shanghai when it hosted the Tennis Masters Cup from '05-'08. They play at the Polo Club.

Stop by Section 11 - I'll be in the front row all week. Probably have one of the RF hats on. :)

Yes I bought tickets for one day only (Friday - Quarterfinals day).

I actually don't play tennis, enjoy watching though and supporting Federer. It will be my first time watching professional tennis live so really looking forward to it. Also, hoping that I get to see Federer live.

I'll try to drop by Section 11. I'm planning to wear RF's red French Open polo :)

mix_ice 07-23-2011 09:54 PM

already have my tickets reserved :D

first time watching too.

Westcoast Ace, i think i know someone from the group you mentioned. We were just on a trip last week north of the Philippines.

West Coast Ace 07-24-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mix_ice (Post 5855452)

Westcoast Ace, i think i know someone from the group you mentioned. We were just on a trip last week north of the Philippines.

Could be - although I've met other people from Makati in Shanghai too - so there could be many groups. The one I know also takes a big group to the Australian every year.

RF007 09-17-2011 07:36 PM

Coming up in a few weeks! Does anyone know the schedule of practice sessions?

West Coast Ace 09-18-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF007 (Post 6013335)
Does anyone know the schedule of practice sessions?

When you enter the grounds and walk toward the practice courts, there is a booth set up which has the practice schedule for that day. Of course it's subject to change. Players change their minds. And for Shanghai, the complex is so far from the center of the city that traffic could delay the arrival of the players.

RF007 09-24-2011 02:30 AM

^Ok thanks.

Just found out that Federer will be skipping the Shanghai Masters - what a bummer! He's the reason why I booked the trip in the first place. :(

I hope no other big names will pull out.

West Coast Ace 09-30-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF007 (Post 6025944)
Just found out that Federer will be skipping the Shanghai Masters - what a bummer! He's the reason why I booked the trip in the first place. :(

I felt bad for you when I heard. I've seen Roger play many times - so I wasn't as disappointed as you must be. Hoping Djokovic plays (although that's looking dicey now that he's dropped out of Beijing). But there will still be many great matches - the Masters 1000 events are great. And in this case, no women's matches to wait through!

mix_ice 10-11-2011 08:27 PM

welp, on my way to shanghai in a few hours. sad too that Roger pulled out. then Novak did! hope to catch Rafa's match.

anyways, to those who have been there, where can i see the Terracotta warrior sculptures of the tennis players?

many thanks! will try to post pics