Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mantis Comfort Synthetic vs. Premium multis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=390695)

Boricua 07-28-2011 04:52 PM

Mantis Comfort Synthetic vs. Premium multis

Just got a set of MCS to use as a cross string.

Without considering price, how does this string compare as cross string with premium multis such as Excel Premium, NXT Tour and Biphase?

Does MCS have the same quality as the strings mentioned or is it just good and cheaper?

BreakPoint 07-28-2011 10:25 PM

MCS is a premium multi. Just about the most premium and highest quality multi I've ever used.

When it comes to strings, price is totally irrelevant.

tennisinoc 07-28-2011 11:12 PM

There is a saying that goes something like: "another man's garbage is another man's treasure"

And Mantis Comfort Synthetic is MY Garbage. I would not even use this string if it was given to me for free. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, but after trying 3 sets, the conclusion and result were the same. Horrible durability of ANY string I have ever played with. And this is including basic Nylon strings. Each time the string cracked within 20 minutes of playing. I would not put it in the same category of Biphase or Xcel.

But this is just my experience and opinion.

MavsTennis 07-28-2011 11:17 PM

I have a reel of Mantis Comfort synthetic and love it. One of the best I've played with.

And I'll have to agree with Breakpoint about the price not equaling to quality. You have strings like Gosen OG Micro that sells for ~$2 a set from a reel that beats strings that cost up to 7-8 times more.

BreakPoint 07-28-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisinoc (Post 5865869)
There is a saying that goes something like: "another man's garbage is another man's treasure"

And Mantis Comfort Synthetic is MY Garbage. I would not even use this string if it was given to me for free. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, but after trying 3 sets, the conclusion and result were the same. Horrible durability of ANY string I have ever played with. And this is including basic Nylon strings. Each time the string cracked within 20 minutes of playing. I would not put it in the same category of Biphase or Xcel.

When I talk about "quality" and "premium", I'm strictly referring to the feel and playability. MCS just feels like a premium high quality string. I don't really care about durability since I'm not a string breaker and I string for myself. Some high quality and premium polys like Luxilon also die within a couple of hours so it's the same difference.

fgs 07-29-2011 03:12 AM

tennisinoc,
i have no problem whatsoever with you not liking the mcs. strings are very personal as they directly relate to "feel" and therefore YES, one man's treasure is another one's garbage.
i find it quite peculiar though that you state a durability of 20 minutes! i have suggested this string (as a cross to round poly) to some futures players, lads that really are quite athletical and do really hit the ball, moresothey tend to hit a rather spinny ball as they are coming from clay, and without exception they got a heavy hitting training session out of the string, this being 1.5 hrs.
the string is definitely not a very durable one, which i can confirm, personally (and i'm 47) i "only" get about 7 hrs of play out of it, but 20 minutes is something i have big difficulties to believe.

mikeler 07-29-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 5865343)
Just got a set of MCS to use as a cross string.

Without considering price, how does this string compare as cross string with premium multis such as Excel Premium, NXT Tour and Biphase?

Does MCS have the same quality as the strings mentioned or is it just good and cheaper?

It's a great cross string to soften up poly mains. I was getting about 12 hours of match play before it would break. As a full job, I'd get about 5 hours out of it. Just don't use it as a main string with some other stiffer cross because you may be lucky to get 2 hours out of it.

Power Player 07-29-2011 05:31 AM

I hate multis..really do..but MCS is an incredible one. I love the feel of it, and it makes strings like NXT feel like total garbage to me.

The durability is not that great, but as a cross string MCS is an ideal option if you need to soften the string bed more than a syn gut can do.

parasailing 07-29-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisinoc (Post 5865869)

I guess we are in the minority on this particular string. I hate the strong chemical smell of the string and thought it was just average compared to X1 and Xcel Power.

mikeler 07-29-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 5866666)
I guess we are in the minority on this particular string. I hate the strong chemical smell of the string and thought it was just average compared to X1 and Xcel Power.

That gluey smell is awesome, guess you did not sniff enough of it. :)

tennisexecutor 07-29-2011 10:13 AM

i fall into the same camp as this fella insofar as the durability of mcs is concerned. i wasn't able to get more than roughly 45 minutes of playing time before it snapped on me. however i only ever tried mcs as a cross in a poly hybrid.

fgs 07-29-2011 10:45 AM

what mains did you use?
i have played it with round mains, poly of course, and if you use a very rough poly i can imagine that you go through it in 45 minutes of really heavy hitting (but then you should be at a really high level of playing so you get truly a lot of repetitions in that time span).
i haven't tried it with any rough or shaped ones, but some time soon i'll do so.

tennisexecutor 07-29-2011 10:57 AM

genesis black magic and wc b5e. both strung at 24/27 kilos in an open 16x19 98 sq. in. frame.

BreakPoint 07-29-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisexecutor (Post 5866747)
i fall into the same camp as this fella insofar as the durability of mcs is concerned. i wasn't able to get more than roughly 45 minutes of playing time before it snapped on me. however i only ever tried mcs as a cross in a poly hybrid.

Polys will saw through just about any multi like a hot knife through butter. I would never hybrid a poly with a multi.

mikeler 07-29-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 5866974)
Polys will saw through just about any multi like a hot knife through butter. I would never hybrid a poly with a multi.

I'm getting about 12 hours out of MCS as a cross. Something tells me this is a guy that hits REALLY hard. My game is more spinny.

Up&comer 07-29-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 5866679)
That gluey smell is awesome, guess you did not sniff enough of it. :)

I thought it smelled more like crayola water paints that came in those little trays. It was so nostalgic.

archman 07-29-2011 04:32 PM

I love MCS. I tried many of the more common synthetics as a cross with SPPP and decided to go with MCS for the softness.

tennisinoc 07-29-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgs (Post 5866837)
what mains did you use?
i have played it with round mains, poly of course, and if you use a very rough poly i can imagine that you go through it in 45 minutes of really heavy hitting (but then you should be at a really high level of playing so you get truly a lot of repetitions in that time span).
i haven't tried it with any rough or shaped ones, but some time soon i'll do so.

I tried both Mantis Polys (Comfort & Power), they are both round, and the Comfort Synthetic was coming apart within the 1/2 hour.
(And I am not a string breaker)
Using X-1, NRG or Xcel, I can get about 10-12 hours of play.

MavsTennis 07-29-2011 08:59 PM

I did notice a weird scent to the MSC.
String durability doesnt really bother me that much. I'm not much of a string breaker and I actually enjoy stringing my racquets now that I've learned to.

whomad15 07-29-2011 09:13 PM

odd scent... hmmm... I got an ignite off of someone here in the classifieds and the frame smelled a bit like turtle wax. It was strung with MCS, perhaps it was the string I was smelling then.
Didn't mind the smell at all here.