Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Modding a Silent Partner for Longer Play? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=390715)

BOSS NASTi 07-28-2011 08:24 PM

Modding a Silent Partner for Longer Play?

So I've recently made a couple threads on the forums & honestly thanks to help from some great people on here, have decided that buying a Silent Partner Machine would be the best bang for my buck. The LITE or SPORT models seem to be great for under $1,000 & ultimately do everything you need with the exception of customizable or preset workouts & etc. So my question is if I buy the LITE, I've had someone tell me that buying the LITE then getting a longer lasting Battery would be the trick. So here's my question, where would I get one, From the SP Store or from another store. What type would I need & is the install for it easy?

I also just wanted to confirm this as well, because someone told me this, but I just wanted to make sure that I could do overheads with the LITE model? Someone said there's a leg extension in the front of the machine to lift it up in order for Overheads to be done, just wanted a confirmation on this as well?

Thanks.

vincent_tennis 07-29-2011 01:17 AM

Hook up a battery with the same voltage in parallel ~

Idok 07-29-2011 08:46 AM

yep...i just picked up a used Lite for 450 off craigslist...came full of balls with a hopper and a couple of string jobs......

runs my *** ragged......i wear out before the battery goes dead

Idok 07-29-2011 08:47 AM

ps..I did have to replace the batt in mine...got it at batteries plus it was like 29 bucks....

switching them out is easy enough, 2 screws and quick connects

rjw 07-30-2011 07:46 AM

the lite has a 9ah battery while the other 2 edge models have either 18 or 20ah look for a battery distributor in your area and ask for a 12 volt sla 20ah battery. if it meaures around 6" x 6" x 3" and costs between $30 and $40 then that will probably work.

Some have tie wrapped them in. I made a clamp strap out of thin aluminum.

It does add 8 or 10 pounds to the weight of your machine, so you will feel the difference, if picking it up is an issue.

Eventually, I will leave the battery out of the machine and just run some wires out of the base, so that when I am finished, I can just leave the machine in my vehicle and take the battery in to be charged

Another problem is the charger....I am waiting on a 5 amp charger, so that I can reduce charging time to maybe 3 or 4 hours rather than 10-12 ($50 online)

Only problem with an external battery MIGHT be that the machine could move around more easily.

ATP100 07-30-2011 07:59 AM

Just buy the Sport, 6 hours is plenty, and if that's not enough, it holds 200 balls, when picking up balls, plug it in.

Almost all courts have outlets if you look around. If you really really need more time, use a converter from your car to charge. (probably not needed)

rjw 07-30-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP100 (Post 5868432)
Just buy the Sport, 6 hours is plenty, and if that's not enough, it holds 200 balls, when picking up balls, plug it in.

Almost all courts have outlets if you look around. If you really really need more time, use a converter from your car to charge. (probably not needed)

most courts where I play don't have outlets, not to mention $150 more for a $35 battery...but to each his own. I like to tinker and look inside, so replacing the battery and converting from spade to ring terminals is no big deal.

For most other people, I agree...buy the sport or star if you are not a diy'er .

for the diy'er, buying the lite and adding battery and remote for well under $100 could be an option....sell the smaller battery on fleabay

BOSS NASTi 07-31-2011 08:35 PM

I've heard there's an auction site for SP's that you can get them cheap and some almost brand new, does anyone know about this?

BOSS NASTi 07-31-2011 08:53 PM

Nevermind I found it. Thanks for everyones help.

retrograde 03-12-2013 08:50 AM

I posted in the wrong thread ,,, need more coffee :)