Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Made my own Pickle Juice to alleviate cramping (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=391180)

Bud 08-01-2011 08:58 PM

Made my own Pickle Juice to alleviate cramping

I was watching the 4.5 doubles SF at the Balboa Park tournament this past Saturday and noticed one of the guys was drinking pickle juice during and post match. So, I asked him a few questions and then did some research on the Internet.

I get moderate to severe toe and calf cramping quite frequently regardless of my hydration level or whether or not I'm taking in ample electrolytes.

It appears the vinegar in the pickle juice is the magic ingredient that quickly and effectively relieves cramping. So, instead of buying pickles I looked up the recipe for pickle brine online.

BTW, the resulting mixture is quite tasty :)

Will keep everyone posted concerning the results.

spacediver 08-01-2011 10:31 PM

You might find this interesting:

http://sweatscience.com/pickle-juice...muscle-cramps/

also check out the stuff on baking soda:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1776361/

SFrazeur 08-01-2011 11:28 PM

Been using Pickle Juice for well over 10 years now. Great stuff. There is even a pickle juice sports drink now!

-SF

Bud 08-02-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacediver (Post 5873503)
You might find this interesting:

http://sweatscience.com/pickle-juice...muscle-cramps/

also check out the stuff on baking soda:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1776361/

I've read both of those articles and the study referenced in the pickle juice article. I'll stick with the pickle juice ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 5873544)
Been using Pickle Juice for well over 10 years now. Great stuff. There is even a pickle juice sports drink now!

-SF

I saw it (PJ sports drink) in my research. Making it at home is simple and cheap :)

Does the pickle juice quickly alleviate your cramps? What part of your body generally cramps up?

SFrazeur 08-02-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5873603)

I saw it (PJ sports drink) in my research. Making it at home is simple and cheap :)

Does the pickle juice quickly alleviate your cramps? What part of your body generally cramps up?

My right or left leg will cramp from time to time. When I feel the kind of fatigue that comes before it I'll drink some pickle juice and it will keep it from occurring.

-SF

Bud 08-02-2011 06:50 PM

Two results from today.

My partner's back was cramping during doubles... he took a swig of the pickle juice and the cramps disappeared. He's familiar with pickle juice and told me he usually takes a tablespoon of mustard for cramps (once again the vinegar seems to be the magic bullet).

After a few hours today of pretty strenuous doubles, my hand started cramping so I took a large swig and bingo... cramps disappeared :shock:

I also took a swig when I arrived home to prevent after-exercise cramps... which I also often experience.

Pretty cool stuff. Hope it continues working.

Fugazi 08-02-2011 09:14 PM

I might try pickle juice someday if necessary, but for now drinking a calcium-potassium-sodium-magnesium mixture is making miracles for me. The best option is probably the Clif Shot Electrolyte Drink, but modified Gatorade (with added sodium, magnesium, and potassium) can also do the trick.

Bud 08-02-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugazi (Post 5875597)
I might try pickle juice someday if necessary, but for now drinking a calcium-potassium-sodium-magnesium mixture is making miracles for me. The best option is probably the Clif Shot Electrolyte Drink, but modified Gatorade (with added sodium, magnesium, and potassium) can also do the trick.

I also take magnesium supplements and use Cytomax (to which I also add a packet of the Alacer Electro Mix)... but was still experiencing cramps. So far, the pickle juice appears to work. My hand cramps were alleviated immediately and I didn't feel like my body was ready to cramp up after I arrived home (which happens regularly).

I drink (3) 32 oz. bottles of Cytomax / water during a typical 3-hour tennis day (32 oz. of fluid per hour)

For some people, cramps aren't the result of low electrolytes or dehydration.

MayDay 08-02-2011 11:30 PM

Anyone know if apple cider vinager will do the same trick?

Bud 08-02-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 5875770)
Anyone know if apple cider vinegar will do the same trick?

Yes, that's what I'm using. The goal is to buy vinegar with an acetic acid concentration of at least 5%. ACV makes the brew a bit sweeter and fruity tasting ;)

The ratio to make pickling juice is 1 : 1 (vinegar : purified water) with two tablespoons of kosher (or pickling) salt (don't use table salt or anything with iodine) and two tablespoons of sugar. Add more/less sugar and salt to taste, after making the initial batch.

This recipe gives the brine a sweeter pickle taste:

1 cup of purified water
1 cup of organic apple cider vinegar (5% acetic acid) - I use Bragg organic
1-2 tablespoon of organic sugar (more or less to taste)
2 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of pickling spice (optional)

If the resulting mixture is too vinegar heavy, use 8 oz. vinegar to 10 oz. of water. If still too much vinegar go to 12 oz. water.

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, on low to medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve all salt and sugar. Pickling spice can be added in the pan or in the container. It can be added loose or within a tea ball (for those who like clear pickle juice). Let cool, pour into container and store in the refrigerator. Make sure to shake gently 1x per day if pickling spices are used.

Take 2-4 ounces with you when you play. If you start to cramp, take a swig and swallow. 1 oz. = a single shot. In my experience, muscle cramping is gone within 30-90 seconds.

**EDITED RECIPE**

This recipe gives the brine a sour dill pickle taste:

1 cup of purified water
1 cup of white vinegar (5% acetic acid)
2 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of pickling spice

Shake container gently 1x per day to disseminate the herbs and juices throughout the brine

Optional:

Fresh dill sprigs (4 qty.)
Clove of garlic (partially crushed)

- - -

I I want just a shot, I use the 2 oz. 5-hour Energy containers.

If I want more, I store it in a 12 oz. Gatorade bottle.

SystemicAnomaly 08-03-2011 01:32 AM

I've become a fan of O.N.E.'s Active coconut water. Most coconut waters are a bit too high in potassium and too low in sodium. The Active formula has reduced the K content and raised the Na content somewhat (but it is still fairly low in Na at 130mg per container). Some coconut water products have also added too much sugar. Not the case with this product. They've added some functional herbal ingredients for some (possible) added benefits.

SystemicAnomaly 08-03-2011 01:35 AM

tennytive 08-03-2011 05:51 AM

I take one thermotab before leaving for the courts.

I usually play singles for 2 1/2 hours, and have had no cramping. Sip Powerade Zero during changeovers.

Power Player 08-03-2011 06:34 AM

I wonder where you can buy the pickle juice drinks (what stores)..that is the way for me to go. I'd like to try it out as I have the same cramp issues as the OP. I take 250mgs of magnesium at night to replenish that and drink powerade and water on the courts. It has lessened the cramps, but now and then I will still get them.

jmverdugo 08-03-2011 07:20 AM

This is funny, I have never in my life had cramp problems, in fact I can't remember a single time that I actually had a full cramp, sometimes - very few and usually after a couple of hours after I am done playing tennis - I feel the starting of a cramp and then change position or do something to avoid it. The funny thing is that I love to eat things with vinegar and all kind of species, since I was very little I would get home and instead of having a bowl of cereal I would make a salad with lots of vinegar on it or just stop at the grocery store and buy a jar of those canned vegetables that are preserved in vinegar and eat the whole thing watching TV, never thought the vinegar could be the reason of my cramp less life until i read here about the pickle juice. Even these days I could eat a whole jar of pickles watching TV and drink the whole juice as it was a soda or something, actually I have 2 pickle jars at the fridge, I already ate the pickles, just saving the juice :)

Fugazi 08-03-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5875671)
I also take magnesium supplements and use Cytomax (to which I also add a packet of the Alacer Electro Mix)... but was still experiencing cramps. So far, the pickle juice appears to work. My hand cramps were alleviated immediately and I didn't feel like my body was ready to cramp up after I arrived home (which happens regularly).

I drink (3) 32 oz. bottles of Cytomax / water during a typical 3-hour tennis day (32 oz. of fluid per hour)

For some people, cramps aren't the result of low electrolytes or dehydration.

I guess a good option is to drink electrolytes and bring along some pickle juice in case that doesn't work. I'll try that next time with your recipe.

Bud 08-03-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennytive (Post 5876070)
I take one thermotab before leaving for the courts.

I usually play singles for 2 1/2 hours, and have had no cramping. Sip Powerade Zero during changeovers.

Never heard of them... will Google

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 5876118)
I wonder where you can buy the pickle juice drinks (what stores)..that is the way for me to go. I'd like to try it out as I have the same cramp issues as the OP. I take 250mgs of magnesium at night to replenish that and drink powerade and water on the courts. It has lessened the cramps, but now and then I will still get them.

Why not just make your own like I describe above? It's cheap and you don't waste the pickles ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmverdugo (Post 5876205)
This is funny, I have never in my life had cramp problems, in fact I can't remember a single time that I actually had a full cramp, sometimes - very few and usually after a couple of hours after I am done playing tennis - I feel the starting of a cramp and then change position or do something to avoid it. The funny thing is that I love to eat things with vinegar and all kind of species, since I was very little I would get home and instead of having a bowl of cereal I would make a salad with lots of vinegar on it or just stop at the grocery store and buy a jar of those canned vegetables that are preserved in vinegar and eat the whole thing watching TV, never thought the vinegar could be the reason of my cramp less life until i read here about the pickle juice. Even these days I could eat a whole jar of pickles watching TV and drink the whole juice as it was a soda or something, actually I have 2 pickle jars at the fridge, I already ate the pickles, just saving the juice :)

Yes, scientific research is pointing to vinegar as the ingredient which alleviates cramps. As I stated above, my doubles partner takes a tablespoon of mustard since he doesn't care for pickle juice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugazi (Post 5876455)
I guess a good option is to drink electrolytes and bring along some pickle juice in case that doesn't work. I'll try that next time with your recipe.

That's what I do. I bring about 2 oz. with me when I play in case something starts to cramp.

Power Player 08-03-2011 01:27 PM

A tablespoon of mustard before playing would work the same?
What kind of container do you pour the 2 ounces in..and finally how long does the 32 ounces last in the fridge?

MayDay 08-03-2011 02:12 PM

Apple Vinegar KitKat!

http://japanesesnackreviews.blogspot...ar-kitkat.html

I'm going to a Japanese supermarket and see if they sell any apple vinegar drinks.

http://morningbanana.com/community/showthread.php?t=7

Bud 08-03-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 5876973)
A tablespoon of mustard before playing would work the same?
What kind of container do you pour the 2 ounces in..and finally how long does the 32 ounces last in the fridge?

It would probably help prevent cramps if you feel them starting. The scientific research basically states that in certain situation cramps are caused when muscle nerve fibers misfire (telling the muscle to cramp rather than relax). When the vinegar enters the system it interrupts the misfiring process and alleviates the cramping, quickly. I don't think mustard lasts long outside of the fridge, once opened, however.

I use a 20 oz. plastic Gatorade container to carry the 2 oz. You can use something much smaller, of course.

The mixture will last long term in the fridge.