Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Who is Jeff Salzenstein? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=392204)

TheMagicianOfPrecision 08-10-2011 07:06 AM

Who is Jeff Salzenstein?

Got a couple of messages on my Twitter page that he had seen my videos and asked me if I was interested in joining his tennisclub in Denver,Colorado to teach...I am a bit shocked, and surprised, and also i am not sure who he is!?
I am googling him now but not a lot of info, a former pro it seems.

Anyone has any news on him?

wrxinsc 08-10-2011 07:09 AM

Stanford guy and has a twitter account. Sounds legit.

Limpinhitter 08-10-2011 08:19 AM

I knew that name sounded familiar. It's the guy whose video was posted in the "straight elbow backhand slice" thread, who apparently doesn't know what a traditional slice backhand looks like. He may be a great coach and player otherwise, but, he doesn't know a traditional backhand slice from a baloney sandwich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y34FPBhwsZ0

Moose Malloy 08-10-2011 09:25 AM

I remember him taking a set off Chang at '97 USO(and being on receiving end of around the net post winner by Chang)

SFrazeur 08-10-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMagicianOfPrecision (Post 5890373)
Got a couple of messages on my Twitter page that he had seen my videos and asked me if I was interested in joining his tennisclub in Denver,Colorado to teach...I am a bit shocked, and surprised, and also i am not sure who he is!?
I am googling him now but not a lot of info, a former pro it seems.

Anyone has any news on him?

I know who he is, but who are you. . .?

-SF

Arafel 08-10-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 5890678)

-SF

Yeah, exactly? I can tell you that Jeff is a great coach. I've worked with him on and off over the last year. Very insightful about the game. Great guy too.

jaggy 08-10-2011 12:00 PM

I know who he is , who am I? I love getting philosophical here.

slice bh compliment 08-10-2011 12:07 PM

Salzy has about the biggest serve in the world for a guy his size (I am guessing 5ft10 and skinnier than Thomas Johansson).

Played at Stanford in the 90s was it?
Some tour time. Is a prominent teaching pro. Wonder if it's a good gig. Let us know what the place is like and if it's a good deal for you.

TheMagicianOfPrecision 08-10-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

-SF

What?
10 chars

Datacipher 08-10-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 5890647)
I remember him taking a set off Chang at '97 USO(and being on receiving end of around the net post winner by Chang)

It was an excellent match, and arguably (Salzenstein might disagree...he feels he improved his game over time greatly), the best he played in a big event. Yes, Chang did make a great winner around the net post, running diagonally across the court for a drop shot...on a point Salzenstein probably would have won from just about anyone else. the cameras caught a great moment right after where Salzenstein was walking back to the baseline and mouthed "wow", to his box.

In any case, Salzenstein seems to be a very genuine guy, and was a fine player.

Datacipher 08-10-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment (Post 5891166)
Salzy has about the biggest serve in the world for a guy his size (I am guessing 5ft10 and skinnier than Thomas Johansson).

Not the biggest, but right up there for sure....and left-handed to boot. Nasty serve.

Fifth Set 08-10-2011 05:07 PM

Is Jeff starting his own actual tennis club? His web-site says he teaches out of two existing clubs - Jewish Community Center (private, with some indoor courts) and Gates Tennis Center (public and run by the City of Denver).

He is basically the best tennis player to ever come out of the State of Colorado. Granted, that may not be saying much, but also keep in mind he was not a big, strong, ball-blasting guy. So, he made quite a bit of the hand he was dealt.

Seen some of his videos and he seems to know what he is doing. Have never met him but know people who know him and everyone says Jeff is a good guy.

Denver is a beautiful place so it's definitely worth following up.

travlerajm 08-10-2011 05:22 PM

He was at Stanford the same time I was - I was assisting Dick Gould by scoring matches at the time, and I watched a lot of his matches.

He was extremely talented. He had a very athletic lefty serve-and-volley style game. Hooking lefty topspin forehand, and good aggressive flat 2hb.

He played mostly #1 and #2 during his college career. He beat a lot of good players, but my recollection was that he dropped a lot of 3rd sets after winning the first set because his opponent finally figured out his lefty spin by the 3rd set. I recall him using the blue Wilson FPKs?

SusanDK 08-10-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slice bh compliment (Post 5891166)

According to the ATP website, he is 6'1" and 175 lbs and he reached a high of #100 in singles (#68 in doubles).

The biggest match wins I could see were against David Nalbandian, Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent and Ronald Agenor in 2000, but not when any of them were ranked very high. Also had a win over Rusedski in 2004. Certainly looks like he put an effort into a pro career from 1996 to 2007.

Quote:

-SF

That was my first thought as well. :)

So, TheMagicianOfPrecision from Sweden, should we know who you are?

pundekman 08-11-2011 08:46 AM

i believe he was #1 in the 12's? featured in Tennis Magazine many many years ago

slice bh compliment 08-11-2011 08:50 AM

[quote=SusanDK;5893148]According to the ATP website, he is 6'1" and 175 lbs ....quote]

Hhha typical height and weight inflation, LOL!

Maybe he grew after college. That is common. Happened to me, too.

NLBwell 08-11-2011 03:33 PM

Probably the best player ever from Colorado.

DEH 08-14-2011 03:28 PM

I have been getting his email's for a couple of weeks and have watched a lot of his video's. I was have trouble helping my daughter with her serve. She is 14 and grow about 3 inches within the last year and it totally screwed up her serve. Not being a coach, just someone who likes the game and wants to learn myself we tried everything and then I saw his video on serves and what an improvement she has made in 2-3weeks of changing her serve. At her last satellite tournment she was in she had the best serve of all the girls but she is still a little inconsist. I think in time it will be very good. So I think Jeff has a good product going here but that is all I know about him. Good luck.

tennisnoob3 08-14-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 5893148)
According to the ATP website, he is 6'1" and 175 lbs and he reached a high of #100 in singles (#68 in doubles).

The biggest match wins I could see were against David Nalbandian, Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent and Ronald Agenor in 2000, but not when any of them were ranked very high. Also had a win over Rusedski in 2004. Certainly looks like he put an effort into a pro career from 1996 to 2007.

nope, he claims to be formerly ranked at 1100 in doubles and a futures player.

tennisnoob3 08-14-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 5893148)

nope, he claims to be formerly ranked at 1100 in doubles