Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New TW Feature: Racquet Selector (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=392425)

TW Staff 08-11-2011 04:46 PM

New TW Feature: Racquet Selector

We have a new tool for those wanting help finding a new racquet. Please take a look, use it, test it, and give us your feedback!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/RacquetHelp.html

You can access it from the left-hand column in the Racquet section as well.

Thank you!

TW Staff

anhuynh16 08-11-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW Staff (Post 5895155)
We have a new tool for those wanting help finding a new racquet. Please take a look, use it, test it, and give us your feedback!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/RacquetHelp.html

You can access it from the left-hand column in the Racquet section as well.

Thank you!

TW Staff

very accurate- the rackets that were selected in the catagory(advanced, power/feel were very simialar to what i use

James Bond 08-11-2011 05:28 PM

Looks great!

Fuji 08-11-2011 06:05 PM

I'm quite impressed TW! The rackets selected are quite accurate! :)

-Fuji

TimothyO 08-11-2011 07:33 PM

The thinking embodied in the selector's beginner section explains why so many rec players never get past tapping the ball like they're playing badminton with a cheap set from Walmart... and rarely develop past that point.

UWBTennis 08-11-2011 08:20 PM

I find that the separation of rackets are quite accurate. The division of rackets in each category into three more category in that category makes for specific narrowing. The only complaint I would have is that you could also still have the old racket finder as an extra option for those who knows exactly what kind of specs they want and prefer that option instead. Keep up the good work TW.

movdqa 08-11-2011 09:25 PM

I think that it's a cool tool but it still provides a huge list of choices if you pick advanced and comfort. Some further sorting by a flex proxy would be useful.

TopFH 08-12-2011 05:34 AM

This is very nice. I'll use it to buy future sticks.

zcarzach 08-12-2011 05:45 AM

It told me to use look at a Blade 98. Far too powerful for me. A persons strength, size, speed etc. are all huge factors in choosing a racquet.

RyKnocks 08-12-2011 06:06 AM

Works pretty well, but any time I try to filter in Volkl racquets it automatically adds Boris Becker racquets as well.

JackB1 08-12-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5895732)
The thinking embodied in the selector's beginner section explains why so many rec players never get past tapping the ball like they're playing badminton with a cheap set from Walmart... and rarely develop past that point.

Beginner's don't usually have a long, full swing, so they need something with more power and a larger surface area for hitting. Put a Prestige in the hands of a beginner and they will be very frustrated.

I don't advocate a $20 Walmart racquet either, but a complete "beginner" with short compact strokes needs a lot of help from the racquet.

JackB1 08-12-2011 06:34 AM

This ultra simplified racquet selector would be a first step maybe, but there are many racquets that aren't in their proper category. Also, weight is one of the most important categories too. How about a choice of less than 10.5oz, 10.6-11.5 oz, and +11.5 oz?

Some mistakes IMO:

"Control" racquets?

Becker London - pretty high powered
Aero Storm GT ? - very stiff and high power
EXO Black - high power
Blade 98 - high power

"Comfort" racquets?
EXO Black??? - stiffness rating of 71 !!!
PB 8 - 315 - stiffness of 70!!!

"Power" racquets?
RDIS 300? - medium power at best

TheBoom 08-12-2011 06:56 AM

GREAT job TW i love how much simpler it is and it is pretty accurate as well!!!

bad_call 08-12-2011 07:05 AM

helpful for some but maybe not others...

TW Staff 08-12-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UWBTennis (Post 5895973)
I find that the separation of rackets are quite accurate. The division of rackets in each category into three more category in that category makes for specific narrowing. The only complaint I would have is that you could also still have the old racket finder as an extra option for those who knows exactly what kind of specs they want and prefer that option instead. Keep up the good work TW.

The other finder is still available. The new finder is in the menu bar as "Racquet Help," and the racquet finder is still called "Racquet Finder" in the left menu bar.

http://www.racquetfinder.com/

Tiffani, TW

TimothyO 08-14-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 5896658)
Beginner's don't usually have a long, full swing, so they need something with more power and a larger surface area for hitting. Put a Prestige in the hands of a beginner and they will be very frustrated.

I don't advocate a $20 Walmart racquet either, but a complete "beginner" with short compact strokes needs a lot of help from the racquet.

Begginers don't have long full swings because the beginner racquets they're usually sold are so powerful a long full swing sends the ball over the fence. They have zero hope of developing proper form because those beginners frames ruthlessly PUNISH proper form with long balls.

Advanced players with proper form mitigate frame power and enhance control in a couple of ways. Either they use stiff powerful frames with low powered polys or low powered frames (dense or soft) with higher powered gut/multi mains. Poor noobs are sold powerful trampolines with multi stringbeds which launch balls in uncontrollable arcs...thus they tap the ball. Few rec players spend the time and money needed to break out of this nightmarish trap. After years of play most simply tap the ball instead of taking a full cut.

TW Staff 08-17-2011 12:30 PM

Jason gives a behind the scenes look at the process of developing the new Racquet Selector in his latest blog.

http://bit.ly/oowITy

JackB1 08-17-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 5902623)
Begginers don't have long full swings because the beginner racquets they're usually sold are so powerful a long full swing sends the ball over the fence. They have zero hope of developing proper form because those beginners frames ruthlessly PUNISH proper form with long balls.

Advanced players with proper form mitigate frame power and enhance control in a couple of ways. Either they use stiff powerful frames with low powered polys or low powered frames (dense or soft) with higher powered gut/multi mains. Poor noobs are sold powerful trampolines with multi stringbeds which launch balls in uncontrollable arcs...thus they tap the ball. Few rec players spend the time and money needed to break out of this nightmarish trap. After years of play most simply tap the ball instead of taking a full cut.

^^^
there is a happy medium.

Most people that use these so called "powerful trampolines", bought their racquets from their local Walmart for $25, so how serious could they possibly be about developing their game? Anyone serious about learning the game will ask a pro or someone knowledgeable about what racquet/strings would serve them best. If they just grab a $25 Walmart job off the shelf and stop there, they only have themselves to blame. It's not rocket science.

Paul B 40-15 08-26-2011 02:17 PM

when you go to a sports shop to purchase a new racket, do you need to tall the person in the shop as much information about your game as possible in order for them to help you pick the right racket?
I haven't played for a while and I never really understood a few things.
I have no idea what my style of play is, I also have no idea what my swing speed is, what strings I prefer or what string tension best suits me.

any ideas please?

madsta1234 09-10-2011 01:45 PM

cool11111111111111