Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I know we've talked about this before, but....... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=392781)

michael_1265 08-14-2011 07:21 PM

I know we've talked about this before, but.......

Okay, the record below is from the year 2000 for a player who just played as a 4.0 self-rate in the Mid-Atlantic sectionals.

WIN - LOSS (Main Draw)

Career Doubles (Tour Level Only) 6 1
Career Singles (including ITF Pro Circuits) 1 3
Career Doubles (incl. ITF Pro Circuits) 7 3

Seriously, am I missing something here??????? She had a junior world ranking of 477 in doubles and 577 in singles.

Many 4.0s in this neck of the woods have no formal tennis experience, a bum knee, and are 45 or older. The must be an Upgraded, Special-Deluxe 4.0.

Or maybe she's an amputee and plays with two prosthetic legs. That would explain the discrepancy.

zapvor 08-14-2011 07:49 PM

not necessary. if this is her first time playing she is allowed to self rate. maybe she thinks shes 4.0

esgee48 08-14-2011 09:19 PM

She wasn't a top 200 during that time (year 2000) so I doubt she was a 4.5 or higher. I assume when you said ITF, you meant when she was playing junior tournaments. If she was in the top 100, then you have reasons to complain, perhaps. It's now 11 years later and she can rate herself at 4.0 if that's where she thinks she belongs. If she played for a D1-D3 college team, then it's a different issue.

jdubbs 08-14-2011 09:28 PM

Junior world ranking isn't the same as a pro tour ranking. She starts at 4.0 aftr a long layoff. Seems ok to me.

Timbo's hopeless slice 08-14-2011 09:50 PM

i dunno, the kids who play the junior tour are often the ones who don't bother with College tennis cos they plan a pro career.

Not too many ex College players do anything much on the tour, do they?

How do you think she would go with Cindy, to give a reasonable example? No offence to Ms Sphinx, but any of the 14 - 15 yr old competitive juniors around here would double bagel her in about 20 minutes.

4.0?? Not a chance!

springfieldalum 08-15-2011 02:17 AM

Yes, she is not a 4.0. How did she do in the regular season? Many of the women lose games to keep matches closer so they don't get bumped up. If she did well, hopefully she will be bumped 4.0. Women's 4.0 doesn't get players like that.

michael_1265 08-15-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfieldalum (Post 5903087)
Yes, she is not a 4.0. How did she do in the regular season? Many of the women lose games to keep matches closer so they don't get bumped up. If she did well, hopefully she will be bumped 4.0. Women's 4.0 doesn't get players like that.

They used her in doubles twice, and that was it during the regular season.

JoelDali 08-15-2011 02:53 AM

Call Darcy Cobb @ 1-800-NTRP-SCAM

michael_1265 08-15-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubbs (Post 5902888)
Junior world ranking isn't the same as a pro tour ranking. She starts at 4.0 aftr a long layoff. Seems ok to me.

To clarify, this is off of the Womens' Circuit ITF web page. The Junior page is separate.

I can't see as there would possibly be any ambiguity in this situation, unless I am reading the record incorrectly or out of context.

JLyon 08-15-2011 03:54 AM

this is a clear self-rate cheat, playing pro tour and then self-rate to 4.0, is she afraid of competition or something or let me guess she has not picked-up a racket in 10 years. She should be minimum 5.0 and maybe appeal for 4.5

Angle Queen 08-15-2011 04:19 AM

I think, Michael, that "ITF" "Tour Level" 6-1 record is from her Fed Cup play. Not exactly "pro" tour...but still...there's no way she's still just a 4.0 at age 28. I'd love to know how Section Officials responded to any grievances filed.

This is one of those cases where you'd love to see the self-rate questionnaire and what her answers were. Maybe that'd be a way to provide some more transparency to the debate over whether self-rates should be allowed to participate in playoffs. Make their answers public...and if an aggrieved team wants to do USTA's homework...then let them do the digging to contradict/dispute the "facts." As more and more data/history appears online, it should get harder and harder to hide from the truth.

maggmaster 08-15-2011 04:24 AM

This is a self correcting issue though right? She will rate up and be a 4.5?

Clay lover 08-15-2011 05:44 AM

She may well be just a temporary mercenary for this particular team and not a regular amateur league player, methinks.

michael_1265 08-15-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggmaster (Post 5903172)
This is a self correcting issue though right? She will rate up and be a 4.5?

And she will probably be underrated at 4.5, also. A neighbor of mine is on a team that just played this girl's team in the sectionals. My neighbor is currently a 4.0, but will definitely be a 4.5 next year. Her teammate, who plays even with her, ended up being matched against the girl. Both sets, the girl went up 4-0, let her have a couple of games, and then finished it. The impression I got was that it was just a walk in the park for her.

The USTA, by the way, denied the grievance, citing the "guidelines" wording.

This is something that needs to be fixed, if the USTA wants to maintain the integrity of its system. I assume that there is some integrity left. Maybe it is ridiculous to have nationals at any level other than Open.

michael_1265 08-15-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay lover (Post 5903280)
She may well be just a temporary mercenary for this particular team and not a regular amateur league player, methinks.

From what I understand, that team is full of mercenaries. For what it's worth, my friend's team is also a bunch of "all stars" selected from a medium-sized metro area. I guess it's hard to get into the playoffs otherwise. Sad.

Cindysphinx 08-15-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo's hopeless slice (Post 5902923)
i dunno, the kids who play the junior tour are often the ones who don't bother with College tennis cos they plan a pro career.

Not too many ex College players do anything much on the tour, do they?

How do you think she would go with Cindy, to give a reasonable example? No offence to Ms Sphinx, but any of the 14 - 15 yr old competitive juniors around here would double bagel her in about 20 minutes.

4.0?? Not a chance!

Huh? What did I do to get dragged into this thread and then double-bageled?

michael_1265 08-15-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5903587)

Well, she's in your general area.................but yeah, the double bagel assumption was a little unfair.

michael_1265 08-15-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5903587)

Edited to remove double post

jdubbs 08-15-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_1265 (Post 5903643)
Well, she's in your general area.................but yeah, the double bagel assumption was a little unfair.

Breadsticks would be more accurate. Either way, she would crush not only Cindy, but also crush me, as a male 4.0. I played a top junior girl, there is just no way to hit a winner against them if you're a typical 4.0.

Still, let her play 4.0, if she does well enough she'll move up. So you get to play a really good opponent, learn something. Nothing wrong with that.

goober 08-15-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelDali (Post 5903109)
Call Darcy Cobb @ 1-800-NTRP-SCAM

Called Darcy. She told me there is no scam, that everything is on the up and up, nothing to see here, move along. She offered me a free US Open backpack with a 5 year membership renewal. Oh she told me to have a nice day. Such a nice lady this Darcy...