Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Acts Of Sportsmanship That You Remember (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=393188)

Tilden1893 08-17-2011 09:13 PM

Acts Of Sportsmanship That You Remember

It was before my time, Bill Tilden in the French Open Final (an event he would never win) gave Lacoste time to rest and refusing to let him default. That got me thinking to acts like that.

You know, stuff like that?

One that I do remember was Agassi (He's called everything in the book here, except, OPEN right?) delayed the finals of the '94 Ericson so Sampras could play, then promply lossing the match.

Anyone else remember stuff like that?

SusanDK 08-18-2011 03:07 AM

Mats Wilander insisting on replaying match point in the semi-final of the French Open 1982 against Jose Louis-Clerc because Clerc complained about a call. The chair umpire had already called game, set and match, but Wilander said he couldn't win a match on a contested point.

borg number one 08-18-2011 03:55 AM

John McEnroe, surprisingly. McEnroe hit a shot into the stands to concede a point and make up for a couple of bad calls that went against Bjorn Borg at the Masters played in New York (Madison Square Garden in January 1981). This was at the year end championship tournament before a record crowd, so this incident got a lot of attention, especially because it was Borg complaining about a call and McEnroe displaying some nice sportsmanship. McEnroe did that soon after Borg actually approached the umpire, argued a call and then received point penalties. There were about 19,000 in attendance at what was the 4th biggest tournament of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVwPAOpFweY (Thanks Krosero)

I get cramps 08-18-2011 03:59 AM

I didn't see neither of this two but...

Álex Corretja: "In 4th RD of 1997 Roland Garros (vs. Filip Dewulf), overruled a call that had been made in his favor and conceded point to Dewulf, which ultimately cost the Spaniard the match."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/P...-Corretja.aspx

One situation that Lahyani will gladly take is a player overruling the linesman's call and giving the point to his rival. It happened to him on a tough call Patrick Rafter when the Aussie conceded the point to his rival and was later given the fair play award the same year in Dusseldorf.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/01/10/stor...1007681900.htm

I found this thread
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=144297

monique s 08-18-2011 04:16 AM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4647602

Andy will not trend with this but will when he hit a ball in the stands....people prefer to criticize than praising someone.

GS 08-18-2011 08:12 AM

Stefan Edberg won the ATP Sportsmanship Award 5 times from the late '80s to the mid-90s. In '96, they re-named it the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award.
In '95, at the Legg Mason final in D.C., it was a terribly hot and humid day, Agassi vs. Edberg. Near the end of the final set, during a changeover, Agassi went straight to the air-conditioned bathroom, which was against the rules---he needed permission from the chair umpire. Edberg sat in his chair and politely complained, since Agassi was breaking the rules and getting an air-conditioned edge. He then returned, refreshed, and beat Edberg 7-5. Nice goin, Andre....

Moose Malloy 08-18-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Mats Wilander insisting on replaying match point in the semi-final of the French Open 1982 against Jose Louis-Clerc because Clerc complained about a call. The chair umpire had already called game, set and match, but Wilander said he couldn't win a match on a contested point.
nice of wilander, considering the context of the time(umpires just refused to check any marks on clay back then), but with todays umpires that would have been called a winner for clerc, not a replay situation (if they checked the mark & it was indeed good)

mats had no play on that ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2n9PsEC8Ek

another instance of great sportsmanship, was Connors vs Newcombe '75 AO final. Connors hit a service winner & ace that were contested. He then intentionally hit a df on the next ball & got a great reception from the crowd. maybe it wasn't such a great idea since he got broken in that game & eventually lost that set to go down 2 sets to 1(& lost the match in 4)

I see a lot of good sportsmanship(even by mac) in old matches, mainly because umpires were so incompetent back then. I'm not talking about bad calls necessarily, that stuff has always happened, but umpires just not knowing the rules(overruling, but replaying a point when it was a clean winner, overruling but calling it a winner when it was a replay situation) not to mention how often they got the score wrong & players had to correct them.

SusanDK 08-18-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 5911816)
Stefan Edberg won the ATP Sportsmanship Award 5 times from the late '80s to the mid-90s. In '96, they re-named it the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award.
In '95, at the Legg Mason final in D.C., it was a terribly hot and humid day, Agassi vs. Edberg. Near the end of the final set, during a changeover, Agassi went straight to the air-conditioned bathroom, which was against the rules---he needed permission from the chair umpire. Edberg sat in his chair and politely complained, since Agassi was breaking the rules and getting an air-conditioned edge. He then returned, refreshed, and beat Edberg 7-5. Nice goin, Andre....

I had never heard about that. One wonders now what Andre was doing on that break.

Another minor act of sportsmanship - Stefan Edberg at the '88 Olympics, playing doubles for the Gold medal with Jarryd against Casal / Sanchez. A ball of Casal / Sanchez (can't remember which) flew long and the chair umpire called game point for Edberg/Jarryd. Edberg approached the chair and told her that the ball had grazed his hair, so they lost the point, and she corrected the call and thanked him. Of course, it wasn't a crucial point as it was the first set which Edberg / Jarryd were winning easily at that time (Casal / Sanchez would go on to beat them in four sets winning the Gold medal, with Edberg / Jarryd taking home bronze).

Gizo 08-19-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilden1893 (Post 5910879)
One that I do remember was Agassi (He's called everything in the book here, except, OPEN right?) delayed the finals of the '94 Ericson so Sampras could play, then promply lossing the match.

Brad Gilbert was furious with Agassi for this, saying that he should have refused Sampras's and the tournament director's request to delay the final. Most players I'm sure would have given the same response as Agassi though. He understood that the tv networks and paying fans would have been annoyed if the final had been cancelled, and he didn't want the win the title courtesy of a walkover.

Despite losing the final, Agassi said he had no regrets about his actions though. He definately made the right decision.

Gizo 08-19-2011 03:44 AM

In his Costa do Sauipe quarter-final against Calleri in 2005, Nadal had a match point in the 2nd set, but overruled a line call in Calleri's favour. He lost that 2nd set but went on to the win the 3rd set, en-route to winning his 2nd ATP title.

Moose Malloy 09-05-2011 01:58 PM

Courier gave Chesnokov an ace down set point in the 4th set of their FO encounter in '89.

And in those days umpires almost never got out of the chair to check any mark, so he wasn't delaying an inevitable correction by doing this. Chesnokov raised his hand in appreciation to Courier & crowd cheered.

Courier lost 26, 36, 76, 62, 75(and there was a questionable no call in a rally on match point on Courier side of the court)

I get cramps 09-06-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 5914617)
I had never heard about that. One wonders now what Andre was doing on that break.

Another minor act of sportsmanship - Stefan Edberg at the '88 Olympics, playing doubles for the Gold medal with Jarryd against Casal / Sanchez. A ball of Casal / Sanchez (can't remember which) flew long and the chair umpire called game point for Edberg/Jarryd. Edberg approached the chair and told her that the ball had grazed his hair, so they lost the point, and she corrected the call and thanked him. Of course, it wasn't a crucial point as it was the first set which Edberg / Jarryd were winning easily at that time (Casal / Sanchez would go on to beat them in four sets winning the Gold medal, with Edberg / Jarryd taking home bronze).

Seguso and Flach defeated Sánchez and Casal in the 1988 Olympics Final in a highly contested match (6–3, 6–4, 6–7(5), 6–7(1), 9–7). Sánchez and Casal formed a great double. Sadly, they are forgotten nowadays.

Datacipher 09-06-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I get cramps (Post 5968947)
Seguso and Flach defeated Sánchez and Casal in the 1988 Olympics Final in a highly contested match (6–3, 6–4, 6–7(5), 6–7(1), 9–7). Sánchez and Casal formed a great double. Sadly, they are forgotten nowadays.

Edberg may be a great sport, but if they had hit it through Flach's long hair, he surely would have done the same! ;-)

Datacipher 09-06-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 5914617)

I believe in Agassi's book, he said he went back and just threw up, but admits just lying in the locker room, the air conditioning revived him. Of course, he admitted he had been hoping Edberg would collapse in the heat, but instead Edberg had actually broken hm twice in the fifth set to stage a comeback....

As seems pretty typical of Andre...he doesn't really recognize the hypocrisy and seems to justify it as...I had no choice...I was really sick!

SusanDK 09-06-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I get cramps (Post 5968947)

Sorry, I mistakenly thought it was the match for the gold medal, when in fact, it was the semi-final. Sánchez and Casal took the silver after losing to Flach and Seguso. Edberg and Järryd took home bronze.

I agree that Sánchez and Casal were a wonderful doubles pair to watch play, among many from that era.

suwanee4712 09-07-2011 06:30 AM

Something that most people probably don't remember about Hana was that she gave a lot of calls to her opponents. She gave Chris a call that set up match point for Chris at the Ford Cup in 1985 and gave Chris another call at the Virginia Slims Championships in the spring of 1986 that gave Chris double break point.

I also remember her giving Martina several calls (though not the one in her Oakland win in 1984) and to Steffi at Amelia Island on a game point. Right or wrong, Hana had her own sense of fairness.

Moose Malloy 09-07-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

I had never heard about that. One wonders now what Andre was doing on that break

Quote:

With the crowd yelling for him to get back into the game, Agassi won the first game of the third set on his service, then broke Edberg to take a 2-0 lead. But he was feeling more ill as the match wore on and by the time he reached the ninth game — he was serving with a 5-3 lead — he got desperate. So he repeatedly retreated to the corner of the court, where he discreetly threw up into a potted plant three times.

Immediately after Edberg won the final point of that game to even the set at 5-5, Agassi shocked the fans once again when — in front of Edberg, the officials and his girlfriend, Brooke Shields — he simply dropped his racket and beat a hasty retreat down the tunnel.

Confused, Edberg queried the chair umpire, who speculated that Agassi had an urgent need for a bathroom break. He was half right. With his flowerpot now on the other side of the court, Agassi decided to retreat to the players' locker room.

"I really didn't see an opportune place to puke," he said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...995/95ten5.htm

SusanDK 09-08-2011 12:24 AM

Thanks for the link, Moose, interesting read. Was Jeff Tarango's outrage at Andre's behavior before or after his own incident at Wimbledon? :lol:

Also odd for Andre to say he's never experienced heat like that, considering he grew up in Vegas and played at Bollettieri's in Florida.

Wilander Fan 09-08-2011 08:59 PM

In Becker run to his first Wimbledon, he met Anders Jarryd in the semi-finals. In the first or second set (far before the match was decided) Becker called Jarryd over during his (Becker's) service game and asked which side he preferred the ball on the deuce court since he was unable to hit a service winner against Jarryd on that side. Becker went on to win in 4 sets and eventually win the championship.

This is what the commentators said had happened but it seemed unbeliavable to me. I think what actually happenned was Becker giving Jarryd a free return to make up for a previous bad call.

SusanDK 09-08-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilander Fan (Post 5978996)
In Becker run to his first Wimbledon, he met Anders Jarryd in the semi-finals. In the first or second set (far before the match was decided) Becker called Jarryd over during his (Becker's) service game and asked which side he preferred the ball on the deuce court since he was unable to hit a service winner against Jarryd on that side. Becker went on to win in 4 sets and eventually win the championship.

This is what the commentators said had happened but it seemed unbeliavable to me. I think what actually happenned was Becker giving Jarryd a free return to make up for a previous bad call.

I've never heard or read this - interesting story. I've got this match on DVD and have watched it a few times, and I do not recall seeing this or hearing the commentators mention it. When I get time I'm going to watch again to see if I can catch this.

If it's true, it's particularly surprising if it came in the first two sets (before the rain delay) because Jarryd was clearly outplaying Becker up to that point.

And a silly one to add to this thread from yesterday - Novak Djokovic giving Tipsarevic a racquet dampener in the middle of the first set tiebreak when Tipsarevic broke a string and lost his. :)