Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Do you use multiple racquets in a match? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=393311)

FriarTuck 08-18-2011 08:32 PM

Do you use multiple racquets in a match?

I am 3.5 player in my 2nd year of rec league play and I'm just now getting into competitive tennis. I have recently purchased a couple different racquets to replace my 5 year old 110 sq inch, 9 oz Wilson nCode nFury racquet that I used as a beginner. I chose the Wilson BLX Blade 98 as my main racquet and recently purchased a Wilson BLX 6.1 95 as my backup/alternate racquet. I thought about buying a 2nd Blade 98, but I actually thought it might really help me to have a 2nd racquet that plays more control.

For instance, tonight I had a match against a guy and the first set we were both hitting the ball fairly hard from the baseline and I won the set 6-3. The Blade 98 worked great for that style of play as my opponent was giving me a lot of pace and depth to work with and I was able to hit with a lot of power and depth back with my Blade. However, in the 2nd set, my opponent began to short ball and drop shot me to death and I was having a hard time putting away those shots and he won 6-3. We played a 10 point tiebreak instead of a 3rd set and I switched to my 6.1 95. The 95 (16x19 pattern) gave me a lot more control and I was able to hit those short balls and drop shots to the corners with pace and spin and they stayed in, whereas with the Blade I was less confident about those shots staying in the court. I won the tiebreak 10-6 and at least somewhat contribute that to the racquet switch.

Do any of you use multiple/different racquets during a match based on style of play?

g4driver 08-18-2011 09:13 PM

If I'm playing singles, I rotate through two or three of the matched frames (same strings, weights and SWs) depending on the temperature and humidity and more importantly if I am getting pushed.

If I'm getting pushed, I will use at least two, possibly three frames as try to let the grips dry by changing out frames during the changeovers.

Last week, I played a 2 hour 45 min Singles match that went 2 sets and a 10 point TB. Tonight the match was over in less than an hour. I didn't even need to shower as I didn't break a sweat, but I had to wash off the bug spray before going to bed, yes I took a shower. :)

jmjmkim 08-18-2011 09:13 PM

I always buy rackets in pairs. Personally, I think one should stick to one racket and adjust play with that racket. If you start switching rackets during a match to adjust to the opponent's tactics or changes in style of play, there would be too much variable from your end. Especially being a recreational player, the unforced errors would come from other factors than from the equipment.

Also, the body is very sensitive. During a match, when I break a string and change to my other, identical racket (model, grip shape & size, over-grip, same string and tension, etc.) it still takes a little adjustment to the change.

But if anything, it just looks cooler showing up at a match with identical rackets, rather than three or more of different ones.

FriarTuck 08-18-2011 09:27 PM

Yeah, there was definitely an adjustment to drastic weight difference of the 6.1 95 and I should probably be able to play all the shots with one type of racquet. I need to work on my put away shot technique from the middle of the court. It just really seemed to work well for me and I could see myself liking the more control oriented racquet versus an opponent who hits a slower ball, which happens to be a lot of players at the 3.5 level, especially older guys.

Tomorrow I'm playing a friend who is a solid 4.0 and has the groundstrokes and serve of a 4.5 or higher (just can't move well) and I won't even consider pulling the 95 out of the bag because I need all the power I can get out of the Blade 98 to compete with his very heavy groundstrokes.

But yeah, I know most people have matched pairs and it does look cool :-).

tennis tom 08-18-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriarTuck (Post 5914496)

Do any of you use multiple/different racquets during a match based on style of play?

No. Three sticks all the same, from the same manufacturing run. Prince Original Graphite Mid Tour. Two with gut, (VS Black 16) one with Vokle nylon, in case it's wet.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist.

dennis10is 08-18-2011 10:35 PM

To intimidate by opponents, I use a new racket each game. I bring along my personal stringer and a crew to cart around two Baiardos.

If I'm losing I would stage a scene where I yell at my stringer, fire him, have him beg for mercy, but I have my body guards drag him away.

Big_Dangerous 08-18-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis10is (Post 5914688)
To intimidate by opponents, I use a new racket each game. I bring along my personal stringer and a crew to cart around two Baiardos.

If I'm losing I would stage a scene where I yell at my stringer, fire him, have him beg for mercy, but I have my body guards drag him away.

Nadalfan89? That can't be you can it?

:)

usta2050 08-19-2011 12:16 AM

1. Even Nadal/Federer/Novak isn't good enough to do that.
2. Since we don't play against the opponents Nadal/Federer/Novak faces, and our games are not consistant, changing rackets may throw our opponent off.
3. At the end of the day, we are not good enough to deal with the variables that comes with multiple rackets. But if we are 4.5 or below, we play for nothing. Winning bring no $$$. So, try to have fun.:)

vincent_tennis 08-19-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriarTuck (Post 5914496)
I am 3.5 player in my 2nd year of rec league play and I'm just now getting into competitive tennis. I have recently purchased a couple different racquets to replace my 5 year old 110 sq inch, 9 oz Wilson nCode nFury racquet that I used as a beginner. I chose the Wilson BLX Blade 98 as my main racquet and recently purchased a Wilson BLX 6.1 95 as my backup/alternate racquet. I thought about buying a 2nd Blade 98, but I actually thought it might really help me to have a 2nd racquet that plays more control.

For instance, tonight I had a match against a guy and the first set we were both hitting the ball fairly hard from the baseline and I won the set 6-3. The Blade 98 worked great for that style of play as my opponent was giving me a lot of pace and depth to work with and I was able to hit with a lot of power and depth back with my Blade. However, in the 2nd set, my opponent began to short ball and drop shot me to death and I was having a hard time putting away those shots and he won 6-3. We played a 10 point tiebreak instead of a 3rd set and I switched to my 6.1 95. The 95 (16x19 pattern) gave me a lot more control and I was able to hit those short balls and drop shots to the corners with pace and spin and they stayed in, whereas with the Blade I was less confident about those shots staying in the court. I won the tiebreak 10-6 and at least somewhat contribute that to the racquet switch.

WHATT SINCE WHEN?

duketennisgal 08-19-2011 02:04 AM

I have three of the same racket and used to switch between those three all the time just for fresh grip and things like that. I really try to avoid that now though because I played a match and broke all three sets of strings within 2 games because I had played with them all equally and the strings all went at the same time.

Now the only time I switch out during a match is if my grip is really wet.

BMC9670 08-19-2011 05:13 AM

IMO, one of the biggest reasons to switch racquets during a match (or not to) is purely mental. If you get blown out the first set, try another racquet, even if it is the same frame, string, etc. Sometimes it can help wipe the slate clean in the mind. On the other hand, if I'm winning, I tend to stick with the horse that got me there. Personally, though, I don't like to use different frames during a match - but the same with maybe a slight string tension difference.

fgbGirl 08-19-2011 06:04 AM

The only time I switch is if the strings just don't feel right on the racquet, usually after they have been freshly strung. But then, it's only one switch. If I see someone at my level frequently switching racquets during a match, they have bigger problems than equipment.

Ronaldo 08-19-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgbGirl (Post 5915111)
The only time I switch is if the strings just don't feel right on the racquet, usually after they have been freshly strung. But then, it's only one switch. If I see someone at my level frequently switching racquets during a match, they have bigger problems than equipment.

Agree, if they switch frequently they probably are a TW poster. If they switch and twitch, that's GOAT status.

g4driver 08-19-2011 06:37 AM

The only reason people in my area switch frames between games is simply to allow for grips to dry. Trying playing in 85 to 95% humidity and you will understand. Last week when I walked off the court, three shirts were completely soaked. Not a dry spot on any of them. Three sets of sweatbands also soaked. So now, I bring four shirts to a singles match, so I can drive home with a dry one.

Playing in high humidity adds another factor to tennis that isn't present when playing the humidity is low. I've lived and played tennis in CA, TX, MS, GA and now SC. We have four months of high humidity, then it gets better.

Nellie 08-19-2011 06:45 AM

I use a couple of racquets, and rotate stringings - fresh strings being tighter, less notched, etc. I often play matches with the older strung racquet and may switch to the newer strings if I seem to be a little wild. Usually, I like the older strings for serving, newer strings for rallies. I would not switch between different racquet/string types - too hard for control. Also, I don't want to think that much during match and, instead, to focus on my own play - definitely agree with comments above that if I am wild, I am doing something wrong and its not the racquet.

tennis tom 08-19-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duketennisgal (Post 5914863)
I really try to avoid that now though because I played a match and broke all three sets of strings within 2 games because I had played with them all equally and the strings all went at the same time.

WOW, the perfect string-break hat-trick! I could see that happening. I randomly use my two rackets with gut, if I were more scientific about it, I would mark them and rotate on a regular basis. The one strung with synthetic would be my go to if the two with gut broke simultaneously.

The good thing about gut is it gives you PLENTY of warning when it's going. I did an experiment with my two gut's recently to see how long before they would break. This is in rec play, if I were playing tournaments I definitely wouldn't do it. The first one took about three weeks, playing about 2-3 hours about 4-5 days a week. I find that amazing! I can hit pretty hard at times and serve hard. I tired doing the same with the second and finally gave up when I started feeling twinges of tennis elbow and ball control was seriously being effected. There was probably another week's worth of play left in it and one string looked like it was holding by a thread. Both rackets gut stings were wearing out at the top of the sweet-spot with about four strings showing obvious fraying.

My stringer just replaced my last racket with some cool VS Black Gut. It should make it easy to tell the two apart.

Jim A 08-19-2011 07:09 AM

I have 2 of the same racquets (Speedport Tour). The only difference is I string one at 62# and the other at 60#. Tend to use the lower tension for doubles, probably doesn't even make a difference.

They aren't matched per se in exact weight, SW etc but same string, grip and change them at the same time.

Cindysphinx 08-19-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmjmkim (Post 5914574)
But if anything, it just looks cooler showing up at a match with identical rackets, rather than three or more of different ones.

Yep, that's reason enough for me.

If you show up with three different rackets, it looks like you've just finished cleaning out the garage! :)

Ronaldo 08-19-2011 07:14 AM

Issue may be two different racquets not several of the same model. Most carry several of the same model in case of string breakage.

ChipNCharge 08-19-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5915243)
Yep, that's reason enough for me.

If you show up with three different rackets, it looks like you've just finished cleaning out the garage! :)

Cindy, you still swinging the original AeroPro Drive?