Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Ultimate Rudeness (chatting on a cell phone during a game!) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=393824)

Bud 08-22-2011 07:05 PM

The Ultimate Rudeness (chatting on a cell phone during a game!)

I was playing a challenge match earlier and was serving 30-15. I toss up the ball and the opposing team is yelling "wait!" I look around for any people or balls behind me. Nothing. I go to toss again and they yell "wait!"

They point to my partner (whom I've never played with). He is literally chatting on his effin cell phone right on court during a game! For some I could forgive this mortal sin (emergency room doctor for example). After 15-20 seconds, he hangs up and surreptitiously slips the cell phone back into his pocket like nothing's wrong and nobody noticed... we didn't even receive an apology for waiting.

I was ready to end the set right there and walk off the court. I've never experienced anyone approaching this level of rude behavior on a tennis court.

kelkat 08-22-2011 09:12 PM

In my league there is a point loss for just having the darn thing ring while on the court, let alone someone actually answers it.

jakemcclain32 08-22-2011 09:19 PM

Should have been a point penalty right there.

He not only showed a lack of respect, but a lack of competitive fire too. Anyone that answers a cell phone in competition is a lackadaisical putz.

jmverdugo 08-22-2011 09:21 PM

you should just serve and hit him in the head ... this is also what I do when somebody goes into my court to pick a ball or enter the court in the middle of a point, and you should see what I do when I am losing... seriously, yes the guy is jerk ... wait, unless he was telling the Lybian Rebels where Ghadaffi is

Devilito 08-22-2011 10:24 PM

lol what kind of people do you play tennis with? They exist? You must have made this up

Bud 08-22-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilito (Post 5925323)
lol what kind of people do you play tennis with? They exist? You must have made this up

I swear to God it happened earlier tonight! :)

There is a doubles challenge court at Balboa Tennis Club, here in San Diego. You pair up with whomever is waiting to play. I won my previous match but my partner had to go, so this guy stepped in as my partner.

I've seen him play before with others and he seemed OK. This was a new low, however. I doubt I'd play with him, again after pulling such a stunt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelkat (Post 5925234)
In my league there is a point loss for just having the darn thing ring while on the court, let alone someone actually answers it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakemcclain32 (Post 5925239)
Should have been a point penalty right there.

He not only showed a lack of respect, but a lack of competitive fire too. Anyone that answers a cell phone in competition is a lackadaisical putz.

It was amusing watching him slowly slip it into his pocket after the call ended.. then continue looking straight ahead waiting for the serve. Who even carries their cell phone on their person while playing?? Mine is always in my bag in silent mode.

OrangePower 08-23-2011 12:57 PM

Maybe he's just *that* good that he can actually be chatting on the phone while the point is in progress!

Taxvictim 08-23-2011 01:40 PM

USTA comment 26.3. It's a let the first time someone's phone rings, then they lose the point if it rings again. In this case, he was just a kwad for taking the call during the game.

I was playing doubles once and one of our players had a phone go off in his bag. It was loud. A women's USTA match was on the next court. I said "whose phone is that?", and he said "just let it ring." We told him that was unacceptable, especially for the women playing USTA on the next court.

After four years and 361 posts, why am I still a Rookie?

dcottrill 08-23-2011 01:43 PM

One of the guys I frequently play with owns his own business. Since he's the boss, he can often schedule time to play tennis during the workday. The downside is that he has to be available in case something important comes up. I'm grateful for the fact that I have someone to play when the courts are empty. However.....that damn phone always seems to ring when I'm leading and serving. And the calls always seem to last just long enough for me to cool off before we resume play.

Cindysphinx 08-23-2011 02:03 PM

I am in a book club. There is a member who takes cell phone calls during the book discussion period and during the dinner. I mean, whip out the phone, answer it, start talking right there while the whole group stares at you.

Why do people find it so hard to simply excuse themselves if they need to take a call?

r2473 08-23-2011 02:37 PM

Though people glare and gossip about cell phone use in various social situations, it is so common as to be "acceptable".

Everyone likes to "do their own thing" and not be beholden to "stuffy, constrictive rules".

This type of thing is the logical result of such social trends and attitudes.

Remember this next time you let your kid run wild in public, push your shopping cart into the car next to you and drive away, and just generally act in a manner that is not courteous to others.

Yup, everyone is doing it. You might as well too.

dizzlmcwizzl 08-23-2011 04:30 PM

There is a guy who used to play at my regular pick-up tennis spot. He always wants to play the best player he can find, which is admirable. However, I have seen him take phone calls on the court, from a better player, and then leave the match at hand to go to another court to play against someone better.

No one around here wants to play with him anymore, so he does not come around very much.

West Coast Ace 08-23-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxvictim (Post 5926611)
After four years and 361 posts, why am I still a Rookie?

No grading on the curve here, palie. :)

OP, if someone else was waiting to play, you should have asked Mr. Cell Phone if he wanted to play or not.

jmverdugo 08-23-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5926650)
I am in a book club. There is a member who takes cell phone calls during the book discussion period and during the dinner. I mean, whip out the phone, answer it, start talking right there while the whole group stares at you.

Why do people find it so hard to simply excuse themselves if they need to take a call?

I think it makes them feel important or needed...

jswinf 08-23-2011 08:46 PM

Get a rope!

Bud 08-23-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 5926938)
No grading on the curve here, palie. :)

OP, if someone else was waiting to play, you should have asked Mr. Cell Phone if he wanted to play or not.

What I found so strange is that he was so discreet and talked so quietly I didn't even realize he was on the phone OR talking.

What would he have done had I just served the ball?

Coach Carter 08-24-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 5926916)
There is a guy who used to play at my regular pick-up tennis spot. He always wants to play the best player he can find, which is admirable. However, I have seen him take phone calls on the court, from a better player, and then leave the match at hand to go to another court to play against someone better.

No one around here wants to play with him anymore, so he does not come around very much.

wow, ballzy

Ironwood 08-24-2011 07:45 AM

Had the same thing happen to me this past weekend. We've all heard cell phones ringing in tennis bags courtside, but this guy had his blackberry in his tennis shorts and took the call on the court.....couldn't believe it! He cut it off quickly, but seriously.....who has to carry their blackberry on court!

OrangePower 08-24-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5927597)
What I found so strange is that he was so discreet and talked so quietly I didn't even realize he was on the phone OR talking.

What would he have done had I just served the ball?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 5926490)
Maybe he's just *that* good that he can actually be chatting on the phone while the point is in progress!

Asked and answered!

JLyon 08-24-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5925331)
I swear to God it happened earlier tonight! :)

There is a doubles challenge court at Balboa Tennis Club, here in San Diego. You pair up with whomever is waiting to play. I won my previous match but my partner had to go, so this guy stepped in as my partner.

I've seen him play before with others and he seemed OK. This was a new low, however. I doubt I'd play with him, again after pulling such a stunt.

Wonder if I ran into last month on the challenge court, met Jim who was super nice and got to play 2 sets while in town on the challenge court.
The cell phone thing is ridiculous and I probably would have just walked off as well.