Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Mixed League ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=394004)

Coach Carter 08-24-2011 08:29 AM

Mixed League ?

My wife is fairly new to the game (started last October, sorta...but really not until I quit coaching in February/March). She's coming along nicely (about a 2.5 player now) and is pretty competitive...good clean strokes with good pace...just lacks consistency in long points and is starting to learn good strategy. I'm a stronger 4.0 to mid 4.5 player (depending on the day and how I feel).

We were going to play a mixed league together for fun, to help her learn, and build on our games so we can play more tournaments together, etc. I was asked to captain a 7.0 team, which should have been fine as I'm rated 4.0 officially and my wife is rated as a 2.0 (I think). After we sign up and get close to startup, the other captain says my wife can't play because she's rated too low. We are told, she could re-rate higher if she wants to play. We refused that because I want her to build her game (singles) against equals, etc. Seemed to make sense...she would grow and have success and move up...rather than getting frustrated and hate tennis.

I get ****ed because it makes no sense to me. I am dumbing down my game totally when I play in this league. I was told, "this is a rule". How does this make sense if we are the ones taking the chance to get her experience. We wanted to play together.

Cindysphinx 08-24-2011 08:43 AM

I'm confused.

There is no competitive league anywhere for a 2.0 player, so far as I know. How does it make sense for her to rate as a 2.0?

Around here, playing opportunities for 2.5s are rare. I think the sensible thing is for your wife to rate as a 3.0. If she is hitting with you regularly, she probably would be fine at 3.0.

I would say that if she cannot hold her own at 7.0 mixed with you at her side, then she probably should hold off on playing mixed for now. She could cut her teeth on 3.0 ladies and then try mixed.

Still, I suspect she is stronger than you give her credit. I mean, have you seen the bottom of 2.5 level? Surely she is stronger than that.

BTW, if you are "dumbing down" your own play to participate in this league, you are probably sandbagging. Are you a computer-rated 4.0 (what does "officially" a 4.0 mean?)?

If not, I would suggest you and your wife bag this idea of playing mixed together. It's not fair to the opponents to have a male opponent who is sandbagging and a female opponent who shouldn't even be out there.

I do have an idea for you, though. When I was a 3.0, there were a couple of guys who coached ladies teams because their wives or girlfriends were that level. It actually worked pretty well. The guys got to participate in tennis with their ladies without partnering with them. The wives/GFs were more apt to listen to advice because it was offered by the guy during practice rather than in a competitive setting.

Maybe you and your wife could form a new 5.5. combo team with you as coach? Or you could form a 6.0 mixed team and coach it and not play?

Coach Carter 08-24-2011 08:55 AM

Well, I guess where it all threw me was that she may be a 2.5 now (the computer asks ?'s and assigned her as a 2.0) and I am a 4.0 ~~ either way, combined we can fit on a 7.0 combined team. The league coordinator said my wife couldn't play.

Cindysphinx 08-24-2011 08:59 AM

Right. There can only be 1.0 difference between partners in mixed (in our league).

She can appeal up to 3.0 and be eligible. Still, if you are worried about her being frustrated, 7.0 mixed is probably not a great plan. In fact, it is probably the worst possible plan.

When I first played 7.0 mixed as a 3.0, I felt as though I had landed in some new tennis universe. I couldn't return the serves. I couldn't return the groundstrokes. The serve that won me so many free points in 3.0 ladies was getting crushed back at me. People took the net and pinned me in the back corner. Guys hit twist serves and topspin moonballs that I was helpless to handle because I couldn't hit on the rise.

Why put your wife through that now?

dcdoorknob 08-24-2011 09:00 AM

I think there is a rule in most (all?) mixed leagues that the two in a pair can't have more than a 1.0 difference in rating level. So if your wife was officially rated a 3.0, you guys could play together, but with you being a 4.0 and her in there as a 2.0, you can't play together b/c of that rule.

edit: Cindy beat me to it.

catfish 08-24-2011 09:08 AM

USTA Combined rating leagues have a maximum rating differential. USTA National rules allow a 1.0 rating difference for Adult Mixed & Super Senior leagues. See page 10 of the USTA National rules. http://www.usta.com/Play-Tennis/USTA...9_Regulations/

Combo Mixed, which is an odd numbered combined rated league, usually allows up to a 1.5 rating difference.

wrxinsc 08-24-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfish (Post 5928392)
USTA Combined rating leagues have a maximum rating differential. USTA National rules allow a 1.0 rating difference for Adult Mixed & Super Senior leagues. See page 10 of the USTA National rules. http://www.usta.com/Play-Tennis/USTA...9_Regulations/

Combo Mixed, which is an odd numbered combined rated league, usually allows up to a 1.5 rating difference.

or like in my section -- there is no maximum differential.
my 8.5 combo team is made up of the normal assortment of 4.0/4.5's and a 5.0/3.5 (me) and a 5.5/3.0. We are tough to beat... :)

back OT - combo ladies would be a great place for your wife to start off. My wife is also a new player self rated at 2.5 and is enjoying 5.5 and 6.5 league play at the same time for very different reasons.

Coach Carter 08-24-2011 10:44 AM

My wife just wanted to play with me and I have tried to encourage it. Thanks for the thoughts and info...I'll share it with her. I've been so happy she has been playing...she was bummed (I was too) when we couldn't be on the same team in this one. We probably will just bump her up to get her moving along...so she'll get more opponents also.