Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Calling out Match Point (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=394019)

willshot 08-24-2011 11:28 AM

Calling out Match Point

Who calls out "Match Point" real loud when its match point? Does this intimidate the opponent or make them mad?

North 08-24-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshot (Post 5928550)
Who calls out "Match Point" real loud when its match point? Does this intimidate the opponent or make them mad?

I think I would just laugh if someone did that, figuring the opponent was trying some gamesmanship or was just a bundle of nerves.

Coach Carter 08-24-2011 11:47 AM

I think I did once or twice when I was a teen (and was furious with the opponent). I wouldn't dare now and if an opponent did I would probably get "big eyed" and shake my head...ballzy.

Kenny022593 08-24-2011 12:01 PM

I do it from time to time on set point whether it be on mine or my opponents. I really have no idea why.

CDestroyer 08-24-2011 12:05 PM

That is annoying. I also loathe (and its usually chicks) before the first point they call out "love,love". Really?:mad:

jonnyjack 08-24-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDestroyer (Post 5928647)
That is annoying. I also loathe (and its usually chicks) before the first point they call out "love,love". Really?:mad:

Haha, so true...

Netzroller 08-24-2011 02:12 PM

Yeeah, I do and I also announce things like "Double Break Point" or "Net" :lol::lol:

Haha, frankly, when I was a little kid I really thought you had to call it out - just like calling out check when playing chess (actually I just googled it, apparenty it is rude to do that either)

Well, obviously I don't do it anymore.

goober 08-24-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDestroyer (Post 5928647)

or how about

1. People calling "second serve" when their first serve didn't make it over the net.

2. yelling "out" for a ball that hits the fence.

Taxvictim 08-24-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 5928980)
or how about

1. People calling "second serve" when their first serve didn't make it over the net.

Some people do this if there has been a brief interruption, in an attempt to get the other side to say, "oh, no... go ahead and take two."

AR15 08-24-2011 02:55 PM

I don't call it out. I don't want to alert my opponent to the importance of the point as they might not be paying attention.

Larrysümmers 08-24-2011 02:57 PM

I call out match point. then when i win it, i go "game, set, match, Larry then the score"

heftylefty 08-24-2011 03:23 PM

For those who have called out Match Point, have you ever fail to seal the deal? Because that would be an epic Tennis Fail.

Posture Guy 08-24-2011 03:33 PM

this is funny. Shouldn't be that complicated.

when you're serving, call out the score before each point commences. Don't mention anything else, that's for novices or jerks.

fuzz nation 08-24-2011 03:37 PM

I don't think I've ever encountered that flavor of cheese myself, but if someone was enough of a weenie to call that in a match, I think I'd have to call-and-raise (think poker terminology) with a pause in the action and plead ignorance.

"What do you mean?" After an explanation, ham it up a little more. Ask if your scorekeeping hasn't been right throughout the match. Then eventually just ask why the heck they had to call out match point - I'm saying this with the impression that this opponent is calling out their own match point. Punk-ish conduct in my opinion.

Then again, the ultimate answer to that might be to save the point with no reaction to the "match point" call, pull ahead myself, and then after a pause for effect, make an obnoxious "match point" call of my own. Better yet; "DOUBLE MATCH POINT!!!"

Larrysümmers 08-24-2011 06:08 PM

When i have double or triple match point, i say it loud enough for him and everyone else to hear

jswinf 08-24-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrysümmers (Post 5929086)
"game, set, match, Larry then the score"

But that doesn't make sense. I guess it would help if your name was Larry. But saying "then the score?" :)

Really, calling out things like "match point" or "no pressure" or "it's about time to make your move (when you're ahead 5-0)" is just for horsing around with friends. And sometimes when you do it you find out they weren't such close friends, at least not anymore...:cry:

Larrysümmers 08-24-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswinf (Post 5929719)
But that doesn't make sense. I guess it would help if your name was Larry. But saying "then the score?" :)

Really, calling out things like "match point" or "no pressure" or "it's about time to make your move (when you're ahead 5-0)" is just for horsing around with friends. And sometimes when you do it you find out they weren't such close friends, at least not anymore...:cry:

haha blast my lazy grammar to making it seem like that was my name.

Just to clear things up, im not being serious. If you are playing with friends being morons together, but in an "official match" i wouldnt do that. To be truthful, id get a little ticked if that happened to me.

Limibeans 08-25-2011 12:11 AM

This thread is hilarious.

I find the whole thing about "love, love" and chicks quite entertaining because its to true. I usually say "zero, zero." at the start of a new set, but at least now I know that saying "love, love." at the start of a new game is something that people actually do all over the place.

As far as the OP, I have no idea. I guess it doesnt bother me. I do think that next time im in this situation as a server im going to say something like...

"Triple, game point; set point; match point; championship point. And the winner issssssss".............. *toss the ball* *serves*

Just to see what type of reaction people will give!

MrCLEAN 08-25-2011 07:47 AM

Calling out special points is lame.

And so true on the Love Love stuff! I'd never really thought about it, but I've heard it myself.

tamdoankc 08-30-2011 06:08 AM

You should always call matchpoint, double matchpoint, triple matchpoint. and if you've had prior match points before you should call that out also. "serving for 5th matchpoint!" etc. You should also call your shots as you prepare to hit them "Crosscourt winner.", "Down the line approach shot", "Down the line ace". Never call the shot after you hit the ball, that would be totally lame.