Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I'm amazed at how much foot faulting I see in adult league play (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=394157)

AR15 08-25-2011 12:17 PM

I'm amazed at how much foot faulting I see in adult league play

I was watching my mixed doubles team play last night, and I saw players from both teams foot fault on almost every serve they made. It was only the guys, and not the girls in this case.

Last week, when I finished my court in our men's league match, and was watching the other courts finish play, I saw a couple of other guys who foot fault all the time.

I am amazed at how much foot faulting I see as a spectator, but I hardly ever notice it while on the court myself. After seeing the guys that foot fault, I was considering if I'd call them on foot faulting when I play a league match against them in the future. (i probably wouldn't) I've never done this in the past, but knowing who to look for, it could work in my favor to get them thrown-off by a foot fault warning.

What do you think? Would you call a foot fault? Have you ever played in a match where one was called?

jdfulmer 08-25-2011 12:23 PM

Generally, no. I don't call a foot fault. What I do is mention it at the turn. That generally stops it.

AR15 08-25-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdfulmer (Post 5931310)
Generally, no. I don't call a foot fault. What I do is mention it at the turn. That generally stops it.

The code says a warning must be given prior to making a foot fault call. I guess your mention at the turn will constitute as a warning.

escii_35 08-25-2011 12:31 PM

I think I've called three foot faults in my entire match play career. Two were center line crosses and one was an obvious loss off balance oops. I could care less if someones foot touches the line. If they are going over the line and inflicting a pretty S&V game on me I might ask for a official to watch.

Taxvictim 08-25-2011 01:01 PM

The general consensus after dozens of long footfault threads is that it happens all the time, it's not that big of a deal (even though it is), and you're a d-bag if you mention it.

FuriousYellow 08-25-2011 01:08 PM

The problem I have with a lot obvious foot faults is that it's often used to chase bad tosses. In that case, it negates the need for the server to have a proper toss and turns what would have been a fault into a serve in.

AR15 08-25-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxvictim (Post 5931403)
The general consensus after dozens of long footfault threads is that it happens all the time, it's not that big of a deal (even though it is), and you're a d-bag if you mention it.

With the people I play against, it probably isn't a big deal, and probably gives them little or no advantage.

But, foot faulting is so easy to correct, I'm wondering why we live with it. All the server has to do is start back a half step further (unless he's terribly blatant about it) to prevent the infractions.

If we pointed out foot faults more often, we'd probably win more games by simply bugging our opponents with the call.

Taxvictim 08-25-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 5931435)
If we pointed out foot faults more often, we'd probably win more games by simply bugging our opponents with the call.

And afterward in the club canteen you would be drinking your beer, all alone with your victory.

AR15 08-25-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxvictim (Post 5931457)
And afterward in the club canteen you would be drinking your beer, all alone with your victory.

Wouldn't that be only because they aren't called with any regularity? If we all grew a set, and called foot faults like we call any other fault, perhaps the calls wouldn't be looked at with such disdain.

r2473 08-25-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 5931298)
I'm amazed at how much foot faulting I see in adult league play

I strongly suggest closing your eyes. Ignorance is bliss in some cases. This is one of those cases.

Cindysphinx 08-25-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 5931460)
Wouldn't that be only because they aren't called with any regularity? If we all grew a set, and called foot faults like we call any other fault, perhaps the calls wouldn't be looked at with such disdain.

Me, I'm not going to grow a pair.

I'm going to let it slide until the postseason. Then I will trust the officials to call it.

AR15 08-25-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 5931480)
Me, I'm not going to grow a pair.

Come on Cindy! Be a sport. :shock:

Govnor 08-25-2011 02:01 PM

I just don't pay any attention to their feet, so I would never be able to call it anyway.

Limibeans 08-25-2011 02:03 PM

I thought you cant call foot faults unless theres an official? Or the person had to be like a ft. inside the court?

Are we talking stepping on the line or having an entire foot inside the court?

AR15 08-25-2011 02:11 PM

If there's no official, you must give a warning first. After a warning, you can call a foot fault.

What's the difference if the foot is on the line or over the line?

Bud 08-25-2011 02:53 PM

In singles, as the receiver, it's nearly impossible to see/call a foot fault. In doubles, you'd have to rely on your partner at net.

Fuji 08-25-2011 03:37 PM

I've never honestly called a foot fault, I do the same as what someone else posted. At change over, I just let them know that their feet are awfully close to the lines! :) I don't really care if my opponent does it, it means literally nothing to me as long as they aren't standing in the court when they serve!

-Fuji

Limibeans 08-25-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5931616)
In singles, as the receiver, it's nearly impossible to see/call a foot fault. In doubles, you'd have to rely on your partner at net.

What he said.

There is no possible way to call a foot fault in singles unless the person is well over the line, which is why you need an official. In doubles, its almost the same thing. Even the net player would have a hard time seeing a person stepping on half the line or less.

forthegame 08-25-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR15 (Post 5931298)
I was watching my mixed doubles team play last night, and I saw players from both teams foot fault on almost every serve they made. It was only the guys, and not the girls in this case.

Last week, when I finished my court in our men's league match, and was watching the other courts finish play, I saw a couple of other guys who foot fault all the time.

I am amazed at how much foot faulting I see as a spectator, but I hardly ever notice it while on the court myself. After seeing the guys that foot fault, I was considering if I'd call them on foot faulting when I play a league match against them in the future. (i probably wouldn't) I've never done this in the past, but knowing who to look for, it could work in my favor to get them thrown-off by a foot fault warning.

What do you think? Would you call a foot fault? Have you ever played in a match where one was called?

Irks me no end that my club and local leagues don't enforce the foot fault rules. I've tried to get my doubles partner to watch his serve but nada. AT the club, everyone looks at me weirdly and often glares when I yell foot fault, half in jest, just want us to take it seriously!

Even in tournament play, not enforced.

AR15 08-26-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 5931616)

Depends on the foot fault. In singles, I warned an opponent who was across the center tick mark on ever serve to the duece court.