Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pacific Classic 1.25 x MSV Co-Focus 1.18 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=394623)

Smasher08 08-29-2011 05:46 AM

Pacific Classic 1.25 x MSV Co-Focus 1.18

Following my testing of a Pac Classic 1.30 x Co-Focus 1.23 hybrid, I was disappointed that it took approximately 25 hours for it to develop the kind of spinniness that I was looking for from the get-go. I suspect that at least part of the reason for this was related to using 16g mains in an 89" 18x20 racket head. And given the excellent durability of that hybrid, I decided to try gauging down a size to see if I could better get the attributes I was looking for.

I've been using 17g strings since the late 90s precisely because they provide better feel and spin. With Intellitour 17, now unfortunately no longer carried by TW, I'd found an excellent hybrid that had poly-like spin and durability, with a multi's arm-friendliness. Those attributes are still among my defining features when I evaluate a setup.

I sure don't think that this one disappoints.

Immediately I noticed much, much more spin than I got out of the 16g mains even after 10 hours. The difference in feel was exceptional too: my sense of the ball on the strings and my placement on stab shots was much, much better. I found it was translating into increased confidence to rip shots, and an increased tendency for those to land in.

To be fair, the 16g mains hybrid is significantly spinnier after 30+ hours, but after 6.5 hours the 17g set is catching up fast. After 10 or 12 hours it honestly looks like it will outspin virtually any textured poly.

And I am so looking forward to that.

As for how it plays on specific shots, it's uniformly excellent across the board, perhaps being exceptionally extra special on volleys and drop shots: there just seems to be some extra life on those that synthetic strings just can't match. Going for angles or winners on groundies just seems to be easier too, so it's not at all surprising that natty gut strings have been favoured by touring pros.

Impressions after 6.5 hours

String movement: none
Power: excellent
Spin potential: very good
Feel: excellent
Arm-friendliness: excellent
Fraying: virtually none
Notching: none
Durability: we'll see, but so far so good

Mig1NC 08-29-2011 06:27 AM

Are you still using string savers?

Smasher08 08-29-2011 06:34 AM

Only the 4 that you see in the pic.

I found on my 16g setup that using 4 instead of 13 produced dramatically more spin. (no idea why)

Up&comer 08-29-2011 03:41 PM

You misweaved at the top.

wrxtotoro 08-29-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 5940582)

Wow sharp eyes!!

Isn't MSV not that great in the tension maintenance department?

JT_2eighty 08-30-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasher08 (Post 5939129)

Quote:

no wonder the spin was much greater... although I'm not discounting the fact that you would and should get more spin due to the thinner gauges, but that large of a misweave at the top of your frame will facilitate even lower string-string friction & increase spin even more, like spaghetti stringing.

a0f6459 08-30-2011 09:10 AM

what are your tensions for the mains and crosses for this setup? I've still been following your tests

Smasher08 08-30-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 5942603)
no wonder the spin was much greater... although I'm not discounting the fact that you would and should get more spin due to the thinner gauges, but that large of a misweave at the top of your frame will facilitate even lower string-string friction & increase spin even more, like spaghetti stringing.

Day-um! I never noticed at all!! I can't believe it -- he did it on 10 mains.

No wonder my stringer looked sheepish when I collected it and said it was on the house. I figured he'd notched or kinked a main somewhere. Sheesh, and to think I was about to write a small update about how the spinniness has become phenomenal now.

Sigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a0f6459 (Post 5942623)
what are your tensions for the mains and crosses for this setup? I've still been following your tests

51 x 48, same as my 16g setup so I could get the best possible direct comparison.

Smasher08 08-30-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxtotoro (Post 5940726)
Isn't MSV not that great in the tension maintenance department?

Seems fine so far to me, but I'll let you know. I thought that Focus Hex 1.18 was pretty solid there, although I do think that the crosses in a hybrid like this should be restrung ever 20 hours or so anyway.

jim e 08-30-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasher08 (Post 5943194)
he did it on 10 mains.

No wonder my stringer looked sheepish when I collected it and said it was on the house. I figured he'd notched or kinked a main somewhere. Sheesh, and to think I was about to write a small update about how the spinniness has become phenomenal now.

Sigh.

I am surprised that your stringer allowed the racquet to leave his place that way. If he cared about his work, and /or reputation he would have cut it out and restrung it before giving it to you. It certainly would not have taken all that much extra time to correct his mistake.He must have known this as he did not charge, but... he would have been better off doing it the proper way, and charging what the job is worth. But.. as long as you like it, but for your information the strings are not legal.

Smasher08 08-30-2011 03:52 PM

They were my strings not his, so he couldn't have restrung it on his own.

I'm actually pretty gutted that the spin I'm enjoying is probably artificially enhanced. Kinda throws the whole thread into irrelevance until I have a fresh set properly strung up.

Oh well, presumably the durability will be unaffected.

And I guess this rules out all those ITF events I was going to enter..... ;)

Up&comer 09-01-2011 01:30 PM

So is this playtest inconclusive?

Smasher08 09-02-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 5949452)
So is this playtest inconclusive?

Lol nah, just provisional. All the spin related experiences will have to have an asterisk after them.

So for the fun of it, I'll keep on and just refer to this setup as being "Barry Bonds style". Y'know, perhaps with some artificially induced extraordinary advantages . . . but not done deliberately ;)

Update - 10 hours*

The truth is that I'm absolutely loving the spin this setup is generating, especially when I slice shoulder high backhands (I reckon I make contact on this shot high up in the hoop -- so surprise surprise). Slice serves really stand out too, and topspin groundies sure ain't shabby. The power, as always, can be fantastic, but what's remarkable is how on touch shots there's so much control. Drop shots in particular are a real pleasure.

Re the spin, I really started noticing it around the 7 hour mark. And it just keeps on getting better and better and better.

One other observation: at tension, the mains definitely are stretched thinner. Unlike the 1.30g which stayed noticeably thicker than the 1.23 crosses, these ones now look more or less the same thickness as the 1.18 crosses. If the longevity becomes an issue, it'll be on to 16L Pac Classic for me, or perhaps 1.25 Tough Gut.

But for now, I'm really enjoying these. Some shots spin just as well as with textured poly mains.

String movement: virtually none
Power: excellent
Spin potential: excellent to outstanding*
Arm friendlines: excellent
Feel: excellent
Fraying: virtually none
Notching: virtually none
Durability: so far so good

pvaudio 09-03-2011 05:50 AM

Guys, he didn't misweave 10 mains. He miswove one which offsets the crosses above and below it beyond the misweave.

The Big Kahuna 09-03-2011 12:53 PM

PLAYTEST UPDATE:

After 6 hours of play with the MSV Co-Focus 18g hybrid @ 48 (with KLIP Legend Tour 17g mains @ 52) in my Head Youtek Prestige Pro I am ready to declare this playtest to an end. Every time I put down this racquet to try one with another poly (Weiss Silverstring or Kirshbaum Pro Line II) while they both feel very good, I can wait to get back to the MSV. The feel and ball pocketing is SO much better. I have never felt strings with so much comfort, spin, control, and feel. The power is dialed down just a tad from the other two strings, but more balls go IN the court as a result. My groundstrokes and serves are much more consistent than they have been with anything else to date and it feels like the racquet is simply an part of my arm - it is almost as if I am "throwing the ball" back. The sweet spot feels huge and the picketing is insane! I am totally addicted. It is really like a whole new game for me. Fantastic!

pvaudio 09-03-2011 06:38 PM

Smasher, in case you didn't notice, it was actually your original playtest thread that made me try WhisperTouch/Co Focus 1.23. It's now the reference standard, and for what its worth in my playtest thread, it's the only setup that's gotten a 10/10.

The Big Kahuna 09-07-2011 08:00 AM

What tension are you using here?

What is it in relationship to the frame recommendations - high or low?

Smasher08 09-07-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna (Post 5970783)
What tension are you using here?

What is it in relationship to the frame recommendations - high or low?

51 x 48. The frame recommendations are 52-62, but in practice I've found that these are probably a couple of pounds too high.

Smasher08 09-07-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 5957482)
Smasher, in case you didn't notice, it was actually your original playtest thread that made me try WhisperTouch/Co Focus 1.23. It's now the reference standard, and for what its worth in my playtest thread, it's the only setup that's gotten a 10/10.

Thanks buddy, I'm totally flattered. Glad you like 'em!

The Big Kahuna 09-08-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smasher08 (Post 5973346)
51 x 48. The frame recommendations are 52-62, but in practice I've found that these are probably a couple of pounds too high.

Interesting, I am almost at the identical tension.

I don't see many reports on this current playtest (I know there was a stringing issue). Between the MSV Co-Focus 17g and the 18g, which did you prefer?