Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   1st player to win a Slam w 2 Handed Backhand? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=395231)

4sound 09-02-2011 02:10 PM

1st player to win a Slam w 2 Handed Backhand?

I saw on tennis channel, the first person to play in a Slam final with a 2 handed backhand was Cliff Drysdale.

Does anyone know who the 1st player to actually win a slam with a 2 handed backhand (Man and Woman)? I want to say Borg and Evert but not sure.

Moose Malloy 09-02-2011 02:25 PM

Connors, '74 AO. Borg won '74 FO. And Connors won W & US that year.

It must have really blown the tennis world's mind having a 2 handed sweep of the majors in '74, after a hundred years of 1 handers winning every major.

Evert win '74 FO & W.

probably 90% of all players on both tours in '74 were using 1 handed backhands.

BTURNER 09-02-2011 02:45 PM

Actually the first person to play a major singles final using a two hander is Jan Lehane who reached the final of the Australian in 1961-63 loosing to Court each of those years. I think she may have been the first to win one if you count mixed doubles not sure on that score though.

pc1 09-02-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound (Post 5952857)
I saw on tennis channel, the first person to play in a Slam final with a 2 handed backhand was Cliff Drysdale.

Does anyone know who the 1st player to actually win a slam with a 2 handed backhand (Man and Woman)? I want to say Borg and Evert but not sure.

My first guess would be John Bromwich, the great Australian player but I'm not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bromwich

soyizgood 09-02-2011 03:29 PM

Bromwich would likely be the first. There was another Aussie with a 2HBH at that time, McGrath.

pc1 09-02-2011 05:28 PM

It's funny when you think about two hands versus one hand on the backhand. In the past two hands were considered weak because of the lack of reach and problems on low balls. Nowadays with almost every player using two hands on the backhand the one hander may be considered the weaker of the two styles, especially on the high backhand. At least the trend is the two hander now. Maybe someday one hand on the backhand will come back into fashion.

urban 09-03-2011 02:05 AM

Beverly Baker-Fleitz won a lot in the 50s, with two hands, but she was ambidextrous.

Carlo Giovanni Colussi 09-08-2011 05:19 AM

This is not my true return

I won't really return to this site in the coming days because I have no time but I couldn't prevent myself from watching a little this TW Website.
However it is likely that in some weeks-months I will come back

In the meantime I write this short post :

if my memory is right the first "two-handed backhand" player who won a Slam tourney
was
Vivian Erzerum Bede McGrath who took the 1937 Australian amateur crown

(this tournament was a very depleted event because all the pros (Vines, Nüsslein, Perry, Tilden, ...) were forbidden to enter and many top amateurs didn't came (Budge, Cramm, Austin, Henkel, Riggs, ...)

pc1 09-08-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo Giovanni Colussi (Post 5974139)
I won't really return to this site in the coming days because I have no time but I couldn't prevent myself from watching a little this TW Website.

if my memory is right the first "two-handed backhand" player who won a Slam tourney
was

(this tournament was a very depleted event because all the pros (Vines, Nüsslein, Perry, Tilden, ...) were forbidden to enter and many top amateurs didn't came (Budge, Cramm, Austin, Henkel, Riggs, ...)

It may be depleted but it still is a major so I believe you are correct.

Datacipher 09-08-2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 5953284)
My first guess would be John Bromwich, the great Australian player but I'm not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bromwich

You beat me to the punch PC.

Note, I"d also say Segura was a 2 hander since he hit a 2 handed backhand (but release one hand), AND his forehand was essentially a 2 handed backhand also! Of course Segura went pro pretty early so....

Datacipher 09-08-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 5974171)
It may be depleted but it still is a major so I believe you are correct.

Oh yes! Didnt he play Bromwich one year?? That would be a 2 hander final!

pc1 09-08-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datacipher (Post 5974219)
You beat me to the punch PC.

Note, I"d also say Segura was a 2 hander since he hit a 2 handed backhand (but release one hand), AND his forehand was essentially a 2 handed backhand also! Of course Segura went pro pretty early so....

What would be interesting if we did a frame by frame comparison of Segura's two handed righty forehand with Jimmy Connors' lefty backhand?

Carlo Giovanni Colussi 09-08-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datacipher (Post 5974222)
Oh yes! Didnt he play Bromwich one year?? That would be a 2 hander final!

Yes it's in 1937
that McGrath beat Bromwich 6-3 1-6 6-0 2-6 6-1

ClarkC 09-08-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 5953760)
It's funny when you think about two hands versus one hand on the backhand. In the past two hands were considered weak because of the lack of reach and problems on low balls. Nowadays with almost every player using two hands on the backhand the one hander may be considered the weaker of the two styles, especially on the high backhand. At least the trend is the two hander now. Maybe someday one hand on the backhand will come back into fashion.

Maybe players used to face a lot of low balls, and now they face a lot of high balls. That might have to change before the one hander makes a resurgence, and I am not sure it will change in the foreseeable future.

PennAlum 09-09-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 5953760)

Very interesting point, pc1. Along with the move away from grass in the U.S. and Aussie slams and the advent of topspin into the game by Borg the tennis ball bounced higher. Poly strings further enhanced the spin and higher bounces giving 2 handers a distinct advantage over one-handed backhands in today's game. Gasquet is the only outlier. Players now are more athletic and speedy so reach is less a consideration.

diggler 09-10-2011 07:23 AM

That John Bromwich article said he had a 2 handed forehand, not 2 handed backhand.

pc1 09-10-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggler (Post 5983535)
That John Bromwich article said he had a 2 handed forehand, not 2 handed backhand.

He used to have a two handed forehand but he give it up and played just with a two handed backhand from what I understand.

Check this video out of him playing Don Budge.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=50413

Lefty two handed backhand (or would you call it a two handed forehand?), lefty forehand and he serves right handed.

Manus Domini 09-10-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

was

I was just gonna say that :)

diggler 09-10-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pc1 (Post 5983565)
He used to have a two handed forehand but he give it up and played just with a two handed backhand from what I understand.

Check this video out of him playing Don Budge.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=50413

Lefty two handed backhand (or would you call it a two handed forehand?), lefty forehand and he serves right handed.

nice find...

Q&M son 11-27-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Nice news. Greetings my friend. Lucio